Funerals?

Wisdoms Friend

Elect
Reaction score
So, one of my sons is interning at our church this year, and at the dinner table he asked this question: "What is the purpose of having funerals?  Are there any examples of the New Testament church holding funerals?"

My father, who is a retired pastor, said, "Well, I know this, every funeral Jesus attended was broken up by a resurrection!"

That got us talking about the purposes of funerals.  I believe our purpose is actually related to what my father said:  While our funerals aren't interrupted by resurrections, they do have a purpose of reminding those who remain of the blessed hope of every believer, and to comfort one another with the promises of God.

We are reminded that we cannot effectively provide comfort to the grieving, but the sweet Holy Spirit, who is called "Comforter" surely can and does.

I thought about the threefold purpose my pastor in Bible college always stated was his purpose in a funeral:
* To honor the memory of the deceased
* To bring glory to the name of Christ
* To help the listeners to prepare themselves for their eventual death

What are your thoughts?  What are your priorities?  What are your traditions, and do they bring value to these purposes, or take away from them?

Wisdoms Friend said:
So, one of my sons is interning at our church this year, and at the dinner table he asked this question: "What is the purpose of having funerals?  Are there any examples of the New Testament church holding funerals?"

My father, who is a retired pastor, said, "Well, I know this, every funeral Jesus attended was broken up by a resurrection!"

That got us talking about the purposes of funerals.  I believe our purpose is actually related to what my father said:  While our funerals aren't interrupted by resurrections, they do have a purpose of reminding those who remain of the blessed hope of every believer, and to comfort one another with the promises of God.

We are reminded that we cannot effectively provide comfort to the grieving, but the sweet Holy Spirit, who is called "Comforter" surely can and does.

I thought about the threefold purpose my pastor in Bible college always stated was his purpose in a funeral:
What are your thoughts?  What are your priorities?  What are your traditions, and do they bring value to these purposes, or take away from them?

Can't get any better than that!

Wisdoms Friend said:

No priorities, but I have seen some funerals that were almost foolish. The preacher spent so much time trying to get people to "make a decision" that almost everyone lost interest in what he was saying.  I agree that we should seek to warn the lost, comfort the weak and encourage believers with the gospel hope.  But it is also a time to help people grieve, to help people say goodbye, to give them an hour or so to focus on the good in this person's life and consider their own future.