Gail Graves Vargo

tobytyler

Elect
Reaction score
Grounded Grid made recordings available in Dec,2012 on the old forum of an old HAC album featuring Gail Graves, Brad Lomax and Cindy Lord.

Gail went to heaven not too long ago and yesterday,one of Jerry and Gail Vargo's children just replied on the old forum and thought you'd all like to see it.  I'm not sure how many of you go back to the old forum so I will  "copy and paste" it below:

"So, I stumbled onto this page tonight while doing a random search to see what the internet remembers of my mother. My mother (Gayle Vargo) was the one pictured on the left. One song on the record she sings a solo: http://www.noncomradio.net/hylander-...1975bp3175.mp3 I was going to find somewhere to upload my copy I had transferred from the record I have, but thank you "grounded grid" for having it already posted.

This was recorded the same year she got married (right in the middle of pastors school with about 3,000 in attendance) It has been somewhat of an anthem in our family.

Jerry, her husband (my father obviously) was the first to be accepted to Hyles Anderson, and folklore has it that Mom was the first to graduate. The story goes, her dad Melvin Graves (who was a long time deacon, and made the initial motion to start Hyles Anderson College after Bro. Hyles made the proposal to the deacon board.) he was also the church photographer, and while doing a photo-op of Bro. Hyles signing diplomas, Bro. Hyles suggested he sign mom's first while taking the picture. During the ceremony, she walked in alphabetical order, but her diploma was signed first.

Mom lived a very principled life, and was very disciplined when it came to being a testimony. Often when singing for church services, she would spend several weeks pouring over books and books of music trying to find the right message for the audience. She always felt that anything done for the Lord should always be done to the best of one's ability.

She is terribly missed, but at the same time, I can feel a strong presence at times, as I know she is in a wonderful place. The record style is very dated, but the message in every song honors Christ. I am biased, I know, but besides my mother singing on the record, it is also somewhat of a spiritual barometer for me. The times I am closer to the Lord, the songs are so much sweeter, than the times I am a bit absorbed in my own interests."

I loved that album........Thank you for sharing!! I never go back to old forum...............

I believe this was the album...

hylander-front-.JPG

I went to high school with Gayle.  She had a beautiful voice.  Her mom still sings in the choir!

That's it I have it somewhere packed away............I get emotional hearing those songs............

Sherryh said:
That's it I have it somewhere packed away............I get emotional hearing those songs............

Me too SherryH. That's a GAITHER song on the cover of that album and that is WRONG! That's my emotion!  ;)

On a serious note, that was a very nice testimony of this son or daughter about his mother.

And I enjoy Gaither stuff too.

Just John said:
Sherryh said:

Me too SherryH. That's a GAITHER song on the cover of that album and that is WRONG! That's my emotion!  ;)

On a serious note, that was a very nice testimony of this son or daughter about his mother.

those songs touch the heart and thats  real music to me..............I have many Gaither tapes they touch the soul of music!!
I was listening to a funeral of Brian Leohardt and they played "I will Rise" that is priceless that touches the soul

I would love to hear the Lewis Sisters sing again. Also there was another group with 3 ladies that Mrs Sallie and Mrs Godfrey coached. Forget who they were. That is one of the things I miss from HAC back in the 70's was the good music.

Allen45Fan said:
I would love to hear the Lewis Sisters sing again. Also there was another group with 3 ladies that Mrs Sallie and Mrs Godfrey coached. Forget who they were. That is one of the things I miss from HAC back in the 70's was the good music.

Mrs. SALLEE was the music teacher and an excellent soprano.---I don't think Mrs. Sallie could carry a tune
(Phil Sallie's wife)!

She sang beautiful if my memory is right ...............she was always quite and humbly serving....

Sherryh said:
Just John said:
Sherryh said:

those songs touch the heart and thats  real music to me..............I have many Gaither tapes they touch the soul of music!!
I was listening to a funeral of Brian Leohardt and they played "I will Rise" that is priceless that touches the soul

Amen

Just now ran across this....sure no one else will see it, but I need to say it.  I'm the goofy one on the right.....Gayle was my friend from the time we were in elementary school.  She had a beautiful voice........every time I hear "O Glorious Love" I think of her.

I miss her.

Can't wait to sing with you again, dear friend.

Welcome to the forum.... I loved your music my friend put the songs on a tape for me ....