"Gender"

bedc556a926af9ec71dd51983af3397e.jpg

This site explains it better than I can:

Not all transgender people have gender dysphoria. On its own, being transgender is not considered a medical condition. Many transgender people do not experience serious anxiety or stress associated with the difference between their gender identity and their gender of birth, and so may not have gender dysphoria.

Gender dysphoria can often be relieved by expressing one?s gender in a way that the person is comfortable with. That can include dressing and grooming in a way that reflects who one knows they are, using a different name or pronoun, and, for some, taking medical steps to physically change their body. All major medical organizations in the United States recognize that living according to one?s gender identity is an effective, safe and medically necessary treatment for many people who have gender dysphoria.

It's important to remember that while being transgender is not in itself an illness, many transgender people need to deal with physical and mental health problems because of widespread discrimination and stigma. Many transgender people live in a society that tells them that their deeply held identity is wrong or deviant. Some transgender people have lost their families, their jobs, their homes, and their support, and some experience harassment and even violence. Transgender children may experience rejection or even emotional or physical abuse at home, at school, or in their communities. These kinds of experiences can be challenging for anyone, and for some people, it can lead to anxiety disorders, depression, and other mental health conditions. But these conditions are not caused by having a transgender identity: they're a result of the intolerance many transgender people have to deal with. Many transgender people ? especially transgender people who are accepted and valued in their communities ? are able to live healthy and fulfilling lives.

Darkwing Duck said:

It explains better than you merely by virtue of not contradicting themselves from one post to the next...

However, why should we take the word of a transgender activist Web site?

Ransom said:
Darkwing Duck said:

It explains better than you merely by virtue of not contradicting themselves from one post to the next...

However, why should we take the word of a transgender activist Web site?

I don't think I contradicted myself, I didn't even think that was being claimed.

Anyway, what part do you not agree with?

Darkwing Duck said:
Anyway, what part do you not agree with?

The first sentence renders the whole argument incoherent. Gender dysphoria is the sense of conflict between the sex of one's body and the sex that they believe themselves to be. If that conflict does not exist, then how is someone genuinely transgender, and not merely nonconformist?

Darkwing Duck said:
I don't think you understand current scientific understanding.
Transgender humans are those who are female but have male chromosomes (and this male genitals) or males with female chromosomes (and thus female genitals). This isn't antiChriatian. The Bible is clear that we live in a fallen world. I don't understand why Christians accept the medical science behind cancer treatment, depression, liver disease, etc. but can't accept the medical science that has shown that some people have the wrong genitals. Male and females have different brains, not just different reproductive organs.

Can you link to the current scientific understanding? One that explains how scientifically one can have male genitalia and a female brain or female genitalia and a male brain would be great.

I know science has determined that there are physical differences between male & female brains, but I have not seen anything that has scientifically determined that a person can have one gender brain and the opposite gender genitalia.

voicecrying said:
Darkwing Duck said:
Transgender humans are those who are female but have male chromosomes (and this male genitals) or males with female chromosomes (and thus female genitals). This isn't antiChriatian. The Bible is clear that we live in a fallen world. I don't understand why Christians accept the medical science behind cancer treatment, depression, liver disease, etc. but can't accept the medical science that has shown that some people have the wrong genitals. Male and females have different brains, not just different reproductive organs.

Can you link to the current scientific understanding? One that explains how scientifically one can have male genitalia and a female brain or female genitalia and a male brain would be great.

I know science has determined that there are physical differences between male & female brains, but I have not seen anything that has scientifically determined that a person can have one gender brain and the opposite gender genitalia.

A study by Hare reported that trans women have a longer androgen receptor gene than cis men, which is less effective at binding testosterone, potentially preventing complete masculinization of the brain (prenatal androgen exposure or sensitivity, or lack thereof, is an often cited mechanism to explain observed brain-structure differences).[129] A study by Bentz found that trans men have a CYP17 allele distribution like cis men and unlike cis women.[130]

Hare L, Bernard P, S?nchez FJ, Baird PN, Vilain E, Kennedy T, Harley VR (January 2009). "Androgen receptor repeat length polymorphism associated with male-to-female transsexualism". Biological Psychiatry. 65 (1): 93?6. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2008.08.033. PMC 3402034. PMID 18962445.

Bentz EK, Hefler LA, Kaufmann U, Huber JC, Kolbus A, Tempfer CB (July 2008). "A polymorphism of the CYP17 gene related to sex steroid metabolism is associated with female-to-male but not male-to-female transsexualism". Fertility and Sterility. 90 (1): 56?9. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.05.056. PMID 17765230.

I apologise if I did not say it right. I'm not a scientist, but it was not my intent to mislead. I have noticed a tendency in Christians to ignore anything positive about transgender people and it baffles me.

Darkwing Duck said:
voicecrying said:
Darkwing Duck said:

A study by Hare reported that trans women have a longer androgen receptor gene than cis men, which is less effective at binding testosterone, potentially preventing complete masculinization of the brain (prenatal androgen exposure or sensitivity, or lack thereof, is an often cited mechanism to explain observed brain-structure differences).[129] A study by Bentz found that trans men have a CYP17 allele distribution like cis men and unlike cis women.[130]

Hare L, Bernard P, S?nchez FJ, Baird PN, Vilain E, Kennedy T, Harley VR (January 2009). "Androgen receptor repeat length polymorphism associated with male-to-female transsexualism". Biological Psychiatry. 65 (1): 93?6. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2008.08.033. PMC 3402034. PMID 18962445.

Bentz EK, Hefler LA, Kaufmann U, Huber JC, Kolbus A, Tempfer CB (July 2008). "A polymorphism of the CYP17 gene related to sex steroid metabolism is associated with female-to-male but not male-to-female transsexualism". Fertility and Sterility. 90 (1): 56?9. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.05.056. PMID 17765230.

I apologise if I did not say it right. I'm not a scientist, but it was not my intent to mislead. I have noticed a tendency in Christians to ignore anything positive about transgender people and it baffles me.

Was this difference found prior to or after hormone therapy?

Darkwing Duck said:
voicecrying said:
Darkwing Duck said:

I guess it has something to do with the <*gasp*> Bible!