"Good Old Boys" Club

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
During my many years of involvement with the IFB movement I have noticed something which we have mentioned in passing of the FFF.  It seems like preachers use the same preachers over and over again at their special meetings, revival meetings, conferences, camps, etc.  I receive many different mailers and notices about special meetings in different parts of the country.  I look at the list of speakers and it seems like it is the same list as the previous years.  Now this is not 100% true in every area, but it is close to the norm. 

I understand that certain groups really enjoy a specific speaker.  I noticed that Tony Hudson was preaching at the National Pastor's and Worker's Conference at North Valley Baptist Church in California.  It seems like he has preached at that conference for several years in a row.  I'm sure he is popular among that group.  I see this type of a thing on a regular basis.

I will say that Dr. Hyles used a wide variety of preachers at Pastor's School.  Yes, there were some repeat speakers, but there seemed to always be someone different.  There was always someone "new" who was building a work and Dr. Hyles would have them preach or teach. 

Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using the same preachers.  It does seem that people are missing out on hearing someone different that could be a tremendous blessing.  It also seems that you could get into a "rut" at some of these meetings.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is this being done because people continue to receive a blessing from the same speakers year after year?  Is it because it truly is a "good old boys" club with a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality?  Are preachers scared to introduce "new blood" to their people?  Are their only a hand full of conference preachers?

Hacker Nation, what think ye?

When there are only so many people with whom you agree, there are only so may people you can ask to come an preeeeeeach! NOT!

I'll jhave to think about and compare this with the speakers at MacArthur's Shepherds School........ :D Did you really expect a serious answer out of me?

100% accurate.

Without sounding too critical of men that I love and respect, much of it has to do with "quid pro quo."

Need some extra money from speaking engagements...join a group with 5 other pastors and everyone make the circuit.  All of them preach for you and you preach for all of them.  That's 5 extra paydays for each of you all funded from the tithes of people.  Plus, you get to repeat your top 5 messages and look amazing!  It's not too far from a "pyramid scheme."

Need more notoriety....I will compliment you and you compliment.  Now I have 6 congregations that think I'm one of the greatest men on the planet and the only hope for America.  Let's call ourselves a "fellowship" or "conference" and we can look like leaders of movements.  Plus, if one of us has a Bible college, we can all become Drs!

I don't mind people preaching outside of their church at all....I do mind a "clique" designed primarily for self benefit.

cpizzle said:
Without sounding too critical of men that I love and respect, much of it has to do with "quid pro quo."

Need some extra money from speaking engagements...join a group with 5 other pastors and everyone make the circuit.  All of them preach for you and you preach for all of them.  That's 5 extra paydays for each of you all funded from the tithes of people.  Plus, you get to repeat your top 5 messages and look amazing!  It's not too far from a "pyramid scheme."

Need more notoriety....I will compliment you and you compliment.  Now I have 6 congregations that think I'm one of the greatest men on the planet and the only hope for America.  Let's call ourselves a "fellowship" or "conference" and we can look like leaders of movements.  Plus, if one of us has a Bible college, we can all become Drs!

I don't mind people preaching outside of their church at all....I do mind a "clique" designed primarily for self benefit.

Then there's that.

I never really bought into the conference mentality. 
Went to a God Save America rally back in the 90's and found it to be little more than a slug fest founded upon hatred against another camp of preachers.
That same clan of preachers could be found most every time the GSA was scheduled, at least back then.
I just ignore it.
Not too many conferences around this part of PA

Yep............and many good solid pastors & evangelist don't make most of those meeting.

Same thing happens with guest speakers in non denominational churches.

bgwilkinson said:
It?s called inbreeding or incest.

I don't think I can take the thought pattern that far.  I am ok with having speakers with whom you agree doctrinally.  It's more the idea of having the same guys.

16KJV11 said:
I never really bought into the conference mentality. 
Went to a God Save America rally back in the 90's and found it to be little more than a slug fest founded upon hatred against another camp of preachers.
That same clan of preachers could be found most every time the GSA was scheduled, at least back then.
I just ignore it.
Not too many conferences around this part of PA

This is one group that falls into this category.

fishinnut said:
Yep............and many good solid pastors & evangelist don't make most of those meeting.

I was wondering if it was just with IFB.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

I was wondering if it was just with IFB.
There a ruts everywhere & you know what Dr. E said about ruts.

RAIDER said:
During my many years of involvement with the IFB movement I have noticed something which we have mentioned in passing of the FFF.  It seems like preachers use the same preachers over and over again at their special meetings, revival meetings, conferences, camps, etc.  I receive many different mailers and notices about special meetings in different parts of the country.  I look at the list of speakers and it seems like it is the same list as the previous years.  Now this is not 100% true in every area, but it is close to the norm. 

I understand that certain groups really enjoy a specific speaker.  I noticed that Tony Hudson was preaching at the National Pastor's and Worker's Conference at North Valley Baptist Church in California.  It seems like he has preached at that conference for several years in a row.  I'm sure he is popular among that group.  I see this type of a thing on a regular basis.

I will say that Dr. Hyles used a wide variety of preachers at Pastor's School.  Yes, there were some repeat speakers, but there seemed to always be someone different.  There was always someone "new" who was building a work and Dr. Hyles would have them preach or teach. 

Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using the same preachers.  It does seem that people are missing out on hearing someone different that could be a tremendous blessing.  It also seems that you could get into a "rut" at some of these meetings.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is this being done because people continue to receive a blessing from the same speakers year after year?  Is it because it truly is a "good old boys" club with a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality?  Are preachers scared to introduce "new blood" to their people?  Are their only a hand full of conference preachers?

Hacker Nation, what think ye?

I've seen this and assumed it was caused by the division into "camps" (or smaller and smaller groups of people who "think like us")