Good read...

Being from someone who is "now a Christian," that article neither mentions Jesus by name or says anything about his teachings, apart from a brief mention of "religion as something separate from politics."

If Ayaan Hirsi Ali has abandoned atheism, that's a step in the right direction.

She's now attending church, which is also a step in the right direction. Hopefully it's a church where she will hear the Gospel, and consequently trust Jesus for the forgiveness of her sins.

I don't (yet) see a person who has become a Christian. I see her as someone who has recognized the intellectual bankruptcy of first Islam and then atheism, and has latched on to the ethical teachings of Christianity.

As I always say about high-profile conversions ... wait and see.

Interesting. She hit on all the great things that Christianity preaches except the fact that our sin is what separates us from God but He has given His Son to redeem us from the curses she mentioned. I don't know if that is because she wanted to make a more "reasoned" appeal for her change of mind or if she's still ignorant of Christianity's central premise. IOW, She makes great observations which comes about as a result of God's redemptive work but is strangely silent on that work itself.

First, I have no idea who this person is, but as others thave stated, there is no mention of sin or the Savior. Is she a Catholic? Methodist? Lutheran? No mention of baptism so that's at leat a good thing (meaning she doesn't appear to count on getting wet as salvation). We could create a long list of people who say they converted to Christianity and have no ides what real Christianity is. Kayne West comes to mind.

First, I have no idea who this person is

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a Somali-born human-rights activist. She is an ex-Muslim who became an atheist post-9/11 and was a key figure in the New Atheism movement. She emigrated to the Netherlands and was a member of the Dutch parliament until she resigned over irregularities in her asylum application, and hence her citizenship. Now she lives in the States.

Not to dogpile, but as I read through the article I steadily came to the same conclusion as others have in this thread, that she is an intellectual, and as such uses language that speaks to other intellectuals about philosophy and geo-political worldviews. Her (apparent) lack of personalizing the relationship with Christ (as others have noted, rooted in repentance and faith for her personal sin) makes me think she has shifted one "religion" to another. As Ransom aptly described her seeming perspective well, he also stated my hope, that time will tell and I hope her views aren't merely an attempt to become the most right version of her theistic belief system, but rather she develops an abiding relationship with the Christ of the Cross.

Having said all that, I REALLY appreciated that read and the substantive thought-provoking content you brought to an often hum-ho FFF today. ☺️

Last edited: