graduated from OBC? big deal!

graduate

Elect
Reaction score
I graduated from the OBC
My fellow classmates graduated at 22-years-old and many thought they "knew everything."
They thought would "charge Hell with a water pistol" and be the new leaders of the IFB camps.
Such arrogance!
How ignorant we all were, and sadly, some still are.
The Christian life is a journey for all.
We all start all different places, many from humble beginnings. We all end up at different places.
The Lord Jesus never commanded us to end up at the same point, in the Independent Fundamental Baptist "camp."
Jesus' command was "...follow me."
Regarding myself, I grew up awkward and introverted.
I entered OBC ignorant.
I graduated from OBC&I, still ignorant. We all did!
Some have even said that graduating from OBC was a waste of four years of their lives. I tend to agree with them!
Many OBC graduates are working full-time jobs, that are not church related at all.
You fellow "graduates" that left OBC at age 22-23, keep preaching and winning souls, but don't knock those that earned a real degree after "Bible College."
Why? If it wasn't for though who have real degrees, you wouldn't have your iPhones, WiFi, cars, and whatever you feel is important.
A practical knowledge of business, observation of human nature, and observation of how evil the heart of man is, is important and should not be downplayed.
I have a BS in Accounting now, and could have a MS in Accounting if I finish the Master' program.
Am I over you? No. Have I been maligned for getting an education after OBC? Yes.
It's still true, Christians shoot their own. IFB are especially guilty of this. The Vineyards were notorious for this.
Some OBC graduates have left the IFB and left BIMI and have gone non-denominational.
I don't fault them for this; neither does the Lord Jesus. Only the IFB faults them.
As long was they walk with God, they will do as He commands them.
Those that have walked away from the IFB have experienced what I experienced, freedom.
"Now I walk and breath in freedom with each passing breath I take.
I'm loved and forgiven
I'm back with the Living (One)
I'm just a sinner saved by grace."​
I still preach every every week. People refer to me as "Pastor."
I still witness to the unsaved, using the NJKV because it sounds like normal English.
When all of life is over, the Lord Jesus will only judge us according to our works, what we have done for Him.
Until then, IFB have no right to judge believers today, only because we walked away from the IFB.
Remember, we serve the Lord Jesus Christ, not the Independent Fundamental Baptist.
No need to enforce the usage of KJV, because Jesus didn't enforce it.
I am happier today than I was when I sat in the rooms of OBC.
Come on in, the water is fine!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting and venting. It's obvious you still have issues but you'll do fine.

I have been in various IFB churches where the pastor was adulterous, or a liar, or a thief, etc. but I have never let that get in my way.

BTW, the majority of Bible college grads work "non-church" jobs. Was my time at HAC a waste? Yes and no. Learn and move on.

Having said that, let's chat about that "NKJV" thing you got going..... (just kidding!)

I graduated from the OBC
My fellow classmates graduated at 22-years-old and many thought they "knew everything."
They thought would "charge Hell with a water pistol" and be the new leaders of the IFB camps.
Such arrogance!
How ignorant we all were, and sadly, some still are.
We all start all different places, many from humble beginnings. We all end up at different places.
The Lord Jesus never commanded us to end up at the same point, in the Independent Fundamental Baptist "camp."
Regarding myself, I grew up awkward and introverted.
I entered OBC ignorant.
I graduated from OBC&I, still ignorant. We all did!
Some have even said that graduating from OBC was a waste of four years of their lives. I tend to agree with them!
Many OBC graduates are working full-time jobs, that are not church related at all.
You fellow "graduates" that left OBC at age 22-23, keep preaching and winning souls, but don't knock those that earned a real degree after "Bible College."
Why? If it wasn't for though who have real degrees, you wouldn't have your iPhones, WiFi, cars, and whatever you feel is important.
A practical knowledge of business, observation of human nature, and observation of how evil the heart of man is, is important and should not be downplayed.
I have a BS in Accounting now, and could have a MS in Accounting if I finish the Master' program.
Am I over you? No. Have I been maligned for getting an education after OBC? Yes.
It's still true, Christians shoot their own. IFB are especially guilty of this. The Vineyards were notorious for this.
Some OBC graduates have left the IFB and left BIMI and have gone non-denominational.
I don't fault them for this; neither does the Lord Jesus. Only the IFB faults them.
As long was they walk with God, they will do as He commands them.
Those that have walked away from the IFB have experienced what I experienced, freedom.
"Now I walk and breath in freedom with each passing breath I take.
I'm loved and forgiven
I'm back with the Living (One)
I'm just a sinner saved by grace."​
I still preach every every week. People refer to me as "Pastor."
I still witness to the unsaved, using the NJKV because it sounds like normal English.
When all of life is over, the Lord Jesus will only judge us according to our works, what we have done for Him.
Until then, IFB have no right to judge believers today, only because we walked away from the IFB.
Remember, we serve the Lord Jesus Christ, not the Independent Fundamental Baptist.
No need to enforce the usage of KJV, because Jesus didn't enforce it.
I am happier today than I was when I sat in the rooms of OBC.
Come on in, the water is fine!
I'm thinking that NASA isn't going to hire a Pastoral theology graduate from any Bible College.

I graduated from the OBC
Such arrogance!

Indeed; I have seen this attitude among many Christian college students: they seem to think that having gone to a Christian college makes them more spiritual than others around them. Arrogance, indeed!

I will say that this is not exclusive of Christian college students; many secular students can become arrogant.

I'm not sure what to make of these statements. Our salvation is where each journey with God begins. Each Christian has his own race to run - "let us run with patience the race that is set before US". My path is not your path, but all of our paths should be making us more like Christ.

I'm not sure what you mean by "we all end up at different places". There are certainly things called out in Scripture that we should all be in agreement with.

Jesus did pray for us to be in unity - is that not all being the same?

There really isn't an IFB camp. There are certainly some camps within IFB, but they are not all alike.

Yes, Jesus told us to follow Him, but if our paths are violating His word, then one of us or both of us are wrong. If your 'path' has you allowing women to pastor (for example), that is wrong.

If you were following Christ when you went to OBC, then it was not a waste of four years. Even if you weren't following Him, He was not caught off guard.

There is nothing wrong with working a full-time job that is not church related (more people do this than do church-related jobs!).

A lot of the camp that OBC was in frequently used manipulation to get people to do things, and it could well be that many of the OBC students were just manipulated into attending there. This is unfortunate. It is far easier to pick some verse from the Bible, and then scream and yell about whatever is bothering you, and then manipulate people instead of studying the Scripture and allowing the Holy Spirit to actually work in people's lives.

and it could well be that many of the OBC students were just manipulated into attending there.
When I was in NC there was a pastor who taught freshmen preacher boys at southeastern Freewill Baptist Bible college. He always said that part of his job was to talk as many of the Freshmen out of going into the ministry as he could. His explanation was that if they were truly called he would not be able to talk them out of it.

When I was in NC there was a pastor who taught freshmen preacher boys at southeastern Freewill Baptist Bible college. He always said that part of his job was to talk as many of the Freshmen out of going into the ministry as he could. His explanation was that if they were truly called he would not be able to talk them out of it.
I keep trying to talk myself out of the ministry...

So you're an OBC alum Joel McCarty who left the Vineyards and IFB's to become a seeker sensitive liberal hipster pastor. What's sad is that Bob Ross' grandson Jesse Jackson (Stone) left the IFB's and went liberal and seeker sensitive. But when Ross was busted for the cover up at his Church, Jesse lashed out on Facebook and made "Don't Judge" videos. Jesse is now a professional bodybuilder and his new "pastor" is Keith Craft, a prosperity/pro abortion/anti American pastor. Jesse left OBC/Windsor Hills in 09 and the Vineyards never forgave him for it. Also Jesse won't speak to Michael Shaver or Caleb Garraway anymore. A lot of IFB's are hoping Garraway runs for President in 2024 as America is going to hell with Joe Biden as president and yest Jesse Jackson (Stone) voted for him.

Jim Vineyard's legacy lives on and it's sad that Jesse never made peace with his former Master. I'm sure Tom would welcome Jesse back as well Joel McCarty who's now a seeker sensitive liberal megeachurch pastor who promotes BLM and worships Steven Furtick.

To think, those boys studied under the Vineayrds and Jim tried to install good Christian and conservative beliefs in them only for those boys to go full liberal.

You can thank Jesse Jackson (Stone) for helping Joe Biden become president. Thank God Jim Vineyard isn't alive to witness this.

Thanks for posting and venting. It's obvious you still have issues but you'll do fine.

I have been in various IFB churches where the pastor was adulterous, or a liar, or a thief, etc. but I have never let that get in my way.

BTW, the majority of Bible college grads work "non-church" jobs. Was my time at HAC a waste? Yes and no. Learn and move on.

Having said that, let's chat about that "NKJV" thing you got going..... (just kidding!)

I graduated over 10 years ago from "OBC"
Doing fine.

I'm not sure what to make of these statements. Our salvation is where each journey with God begins. Each Christian has his own race to run - "let us run with patience the race that is set before US". My path is not your path, but all of our paths should be making us more like Christ.

I'm not sure what you mean by "we all end up at different places". There are certainly things called out in Scripture that we should all be in agreement with.

Well, I will clarify for you. We end up in different places of Christian ministry. We don't all end up in Baptist churches, yet we still preach the Resurrection.
Keep it simple, okay?

Jesus did pray for us to be in unity - is that not all being the same?
Yes, Jesus prayed for unity. This unity was too often violated by KJV only camp. The "camp" is the IFB. They are their own denomination.

There really isn't an IFB camp. There are certainly some camps within IFB, but they are not all alike.
IFB is a camp. Don't deny it.
IFB has a bad habit of criticizing those that leave the IFB, as if the IFB was the one-only, best only, Jesus promoted, which it isn't.
IBF is nothing more than an extreme camp, an extreme denomination of its own.

Yes, Jesus told us to follow Him, but if our paths are violating His word, then one of us or both of us are wrong. If your 'path' has you allowing women to pastor (for example), that is wrong.

Stupid statement above, I never said anything about "women pastors."
What made you think I promoted "women pastors."
Since my original posts did not mention "women pastors." then do not make assumptions.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that NASA isn't going to hire a Pastoral theology graduate from any Bible College.

No, but having a degree in Pastoral Theology is what most churches look for, including your own, I hope.

NKJV is decent.
There are many English translation; some are good, some are watered down a little too much.
None are "inspired" as the IFB falsely claim that KVJ is the "inspired Word of God in English." Well, IFB had us duped on that topic.
I teach 1st and 2nd semester Greek.
It is better to go back to the Greek and Hebrew for a better understanding of the Bible.

Last edited:
If you were following Christ when you went to OBC, then it was not a waste of four years. Even if you weren't following Him, He was not caught off guard.

There is nothing wrong with working a full-time job that is not church related (more people do this than do church-related jobs!).

A lot of the camp that OBC was in frequently used manipulation to get people to do things, and it could well be that many of the OBC students were just manipulated into attending there. This is unfortunate. It is far easier to pick some verse from the Bible, and then scream and yell about whatever is bothering you, and then manipulate people instead of studying the Scripture and allowing the Holy Spirit to actually work in people's lives.

OBC was all about indoctrinating its students to carry on the IFB tradition/culture. It was legalistic in that if you didn't wear a tie to church, you were looked down upon and even rebuked. Dr. Bob Gray rebuke me to my face for not wearing a tie to church, before I even attended OBC as a student.
IFB tradition/culture always had been, and still, is the most condemning camp/denomination in the world.

IFB is a "camp" in spite of the denial of others.

After having graduated from OBC I attended a Seminary in California. Dr. Vineyard was upset with me because the seminary I attend, according to his own email "...they are not even our camp." Therefore, if Dr. Vineyard says IFB is a "camp," and he was as influential as he was in IFB churches, then IFB is "camp".
In my words, IFB is a very, very extreme "camp" of ungracious believers. I should know, having spent 4 years as an OBC student.
As a graduate of OBC, I am so glad I walked away from the IFB "camp."

I continued to work a full-time, jobs secular jobs since the the day I graduated from OBC.
I preached in churches in 3 California counties and 3 counties of another state.
I preach every weekend, today.
Still in the ministry, still teaching the Bible, still asking men about their souls.

Last edited:
His method was bad and arrogant. Timothy was timid as are many young are today.
If that pastor discouraged timid men from entering the ministry, did you he not cause the freshmen to stumble?
Will God hold that man accountable for discouraging freshmen from obeying God?

So you're an OBC alum Joel McCarty who left the Vineyards and IFB's to become a seeker sensitive liberal hipster pastor. What's sad is that Bob Ross' grandson Jesse Jackson (Stone) left the IFB's and went liberal and seeker sensitive. But when Ross was busted for the cover up at his Church, Jesse lashed out on Facebook and made "Don't Judge" videos. Jesse is now a professional bodybuilder and his new "pastor" is Keith Craft, a prosperity/pro abortion/anti American pastor. Jesse left OBC/Windsor Hills in 09 and the Vineyards never forgave him for it. Also Jesse won't speak to Michael Shaver or Caleb Garraway anymore. A lot of IFB's are hoping Garraway runs for President in 2024 as America is going to hell with Joe Biden as president and yest Jesse Jackson (Stone) voted for him.

Jim Vineyard's legacy lives on and it's sad that Jesse never made peace with his former Master. I'm sure Tom would welcome Jesse back as well Joel McCarty who's now a seeker sensitive liberal megeachurch pastor who promotes BLM and worships Steven Furtick.

To think, those boys studied under the Vineayrds and Jim tried to install good Christian and conservative beliefs in them only for those boys to go full liberal.

You can thank Jesse Jackson (Stone) for helping Joe Biden become president. Thank God Jim Vineyard isn't alive to witness this.

Jim Vineyard was just a man, just like Bob Ross is just a man.
They both made stupid comments at church.
They both condemned many, many people.
They both said silly or downright awful things to us when I was an OBC student.
I couldn't walk out of the auditorium because it would have ruined my chances of graduating.
I didn't know any better. I was so young and ignorant.
Looking back of my life, it would have been better that I graduated from Baylor than from OBC.