Guns Deadlier than Cars in 17 States

Smellin Coffee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
"The analysis found that in 2013, there were 17 states where there were more gun deaths than motor vehicle deaths: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming, along with the District of Columbia," the center said in a news release sent out Tuesday. "More than 90 percent of American households own a car while fewer than a third of American households have a gun.

"Americans' exposure to motor vehicles vastly outweighs their exposure to firearms. Yet nationwide, there were 33,636 gun deaths and 35,612 motor vehicle deaths in 2013."

http://www.tennessean.com/news/

The link doesn't reference the article. Most of these types of article don't differentiate between the lawful discharge of a firearm and crimes.

I guess this means I should get a gun in order to protect myself.

aleshanee said:
...too much to quote, but putting this here so you'll know to whom I'm responding...

Yup.  Statistics without context mean nothing.

There are so many things wrong with that piece I wouldn't know where to start.  How about the part about 1/3 of households own guns?  Do they mean 1/3 of households have a registered gun?  What about all the illegally obtained firearms, which probably account for a huge percentage of murders?  What do you propose to do about that - make guns against the law?  Did I mention "illegally obtained"? 

And good point about Texas. I must be one of three people in the state that doesn't own a gun. 

Maybe we should just outlaw the guns and bing-bang these gun deaths will stop! ;)

For many years in Chicago they only allowed the police and the gang bangers to have guns. But, I would read about shooting deaths on a weekly basis and deaths by car accidents only rarely.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I guess this means I should get a gun in order to protect myself.

Yup.  In 33 states you need a gun to protect yourself from cars...

Smellin Coffee said:
The analysis found that in 2013, there were 17 states where there were more gun deaths than motor vehicle deaths

Put another way, in 33 states they're using their motor vehicles wrong.