Hackers

T

Torrent v.3

Aha, I found the origination of the term Hackers!

In the movie "Full metal jacket", the Drill Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, sais this:

Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Torrent v.3 said:

In the movie "Full metal jacket", the Drill Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, sais this:

Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Sir Yes Sir!

Torrent v.3 said:

Is that the movie that made Gomer Pyle famous?

Torrent v.3 said:

In the Corps, 'Hacking it' is a synonymn for surviving intact.  It is interchangeable with 'handle it'.
Ex:  if someone quits, during a particularly challenging exercise, we say 'he couldn't hack it'.
In light of this, although I never heard the term used positively one time, a hacker would be a successful USMC private.
  Semper Fi
Anishinabe

Soooo, basically, there are MAGGOTS.  Then there are Maggots who are hackers, and there are maggots who are non-hackers.

That is what I thought.

admin said:
I thought it had to do with the gross hacking of their supreme commander - Hyles.

Probably that too, you know the double intention of the author of the original and all.