Happy St. Patricks Day!

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
in commemoration of yet another holiday established by christians ... stolen and
corrupted by pagans.... then abandoned by christians in the name of being separated
from the pagan world.... i;ll be changing todays dinner recipe from kalua pork n cabbage
to the traditional irish fare of corned beef and cabbage.... :cool: ....

and also... in the modern and much beloved tradition of enjoying music by way of in
your face, staring into the camera performances ..i offer this awesome irish balad ☘️ ..
...(which is also the national anthem of ireland... ).... 🍀

.. (performed by one of the very few singers i can tolerate to watch perform this close to the camera)

Last edited:
I arise today:
vast might, invocation of the Trinity.--
belief in a Threeness
confession of Oneness
meeting in the Creator.

I arise today:
the might of Christ's birth and His baptism
the might of His crucifixion and burial
the might of His resurrection and ascension
the might of His descent to the judgment of Doom.

I arise today:
the might of grades of Cherubim
in obedience of Angels
in ministration of Archangels
in hope of resurrection for the sake of reward
in prayers of Patriarchs
in prophecies of Prophets
in preachings of Apostles
in faiths of Confessors
in innocence of holy Virgins
in deeds of righteous men.

I arise today:
might of Heaven
brightness of sun
whiteness of snow
splendour of fire
speed of light
swiftness of wind
depth of sea
stability of earth
firmness of rock.

I arise today:
Might of God for my piloting
Wisdom of God for my guidance
Eye of God for my foresight
Ear of God for my hearing
Word of God for my utterance
Hand of God for my guardianship
Path of God for my precedence
Shield of God for my protection
Host of God for my salvation
against snares of demons
against allurement of vices
against solicitations of nature
against every person that wishes me ill, far and near, alone and in a crowd.

I invoke therefore all these forces to intervene between me and every fierce merciless force that may come upon my body and my soul:
against incantations of false prophets
against black laws of paganism
against false laws of heresy
against deceit of idolatry
against spells of women and smiths and druids
against all knowledge that is forbidden the human soul.

Christ for my guardianship today
against poison, against burning,
against drowning, against wounding,
that there may come to me a multitude of rewards;
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ under me, Christ over me,
Christ to right of me, Christ to left of me,
Christ in lying down, Christ in sitting, Christ in rising up,
Christ in the heart of every person, who may think of me!
Christ in the mouth of every one, who may speak to me!
Christ in every eye, which may look on me!
Christ in every ear, which may hear me!

I arise today:
vast might, invocation of the Trinity
belief in a Threeness
confession of Oneness
meeting in the Creator.

-- Lorica (prayer of protection) of St. Patrick

i have always loved that prayer.... .thanks for posting it...... . what many don;t know ... even among those who have read it... is that a lorica was a type of roman armor made of leather... . ...and st patrick.... having been raised in roman brittain, would have been very familiar with it.... .

people always say the legends surrounding at patrick are myth.... and nothing but myth.... but i think some of them are only considered myth because they were history passed from one generation to the next by verbal means.. and not written down.... it didn;t make them any less true.... just not documented....

but the one story of st patrick i love the most ... whether there was any formal verification of it or not.. told the story behind how the shamrock... or 3 leaf clover.... became a cherished symbol in ireland.... it told that while explaining the trinity to a group he was ministering to... he reached down and picked a clover... then showed them how the 3 individual leafs were part of one flower.... as the story was passed on the shamrock became sacred to the irish.... ☘️

Last edited:
in commemoration of yet another holiday established by christians ... stolen and
corrupted by pagans.... then abandoned by christians in the name of being separated
from the pagan world.... i;ll be changing todays dinner recipe from kalua pork n cabbage
to the traditional irish fare of corned beef and cabbage.... :cool: ....

and also... in the modern and much beloved tradition of enjoying music by way of in
your face, staring into the camera performances ..i offer this awesome irish balad ☘️ ..
...(which is also the national anthem of ireland... ).... 🍀

.. (performed by one of the very few singers i can tolerate to watch perform this close to the camera)

Actually, your kalua pork and cabbage is probably closer to the traditional Irish feast than corned beef. Corned beef was adopted by Irish immigrants to the US because it was more affordable than pork at the time. Either way, it's delicious.

Actually, your kalua pork and cabbage is probably closer to the traditional Irish feast than corned beef. Corned beef was adopted by Irish immigrants to the US because it was more affordable than pork at the time. Either way, it's delicious.
Yep! The Irish dish is bacon and cabbage.

now you tell me!.... o_O ...... nah.... just kidding.... ;) .. ..... what i was reading said that cabbage wasn;t always part of the traditonal irish st patricks day meal either... .. it was most often potatos... and thick slabs of pork belly which were cut more like pieces of ham rather than the way we cut and cook bacon..... they also had other vegetables mixed with it if they had them.. .. . and it only included cabbage if they had that too... ...

and that was my main problem with the kalua pork n cabbage i had planned to make..... ..... we had no kalua pork.... :confused:.. ....we have not been hunting again since the last package of frozen kalua pork was taken out of the freezer and cooked..... but we did have canned corned beef in the pantry... .. . so i made it that way... ...we eat so much kalua pork n cabbage during the times we are able to hunt, to where the corned beef was a nice change....

............................... ..........

by the way.... i also had mustard sauce on the table for anyone who wanted to mix that in with their corned beef and cabbage... ...it;s actually pretty good that way..... ... but the way most people eat kalua pig n cabbage here is ether with no sauce at all or with shoyu... (soy sauce)...... hawaiians already had wild pigs that the early hawaiians brought with them..... and the word "kalua" simply means to slow cook underground.... . i have no idea how cabbage got here... ...or whose idea it was to mix the 2 together into one dish......

i always suspected it was inflluenced by the british navy who not only had corned beef on their ships but who might have been the ones who brought the first cabbage here. .... no one will say... or else nobody knows.. . ... but either way... kalua pig n cabbage is now considered the most traditional of all traditional hawaiian meals.... .

Last edited:
and thick slabs of pork belly which were cut more like pieces of ham rather than the way we cut and cook bacon.....
Yeah, "bacon" is a generic term for salt-cured pork, though it's come to mean specifically the strips of side meat we fry up for breakfast. The one used for the Irish dinner would typically be an oval-shaped cut from the shoulder, I think. More like Canadian bacon than side bacon.

Yeah, "bacon" is a generic term for salt-cured pork, though it's come to mean specifically the strips of side meat we fry up for breakfast. The one used for the Irish dinner would typically be an oval-shaped cut from the shoulder, I think. More like Canadian bacon than side bacon.
about the only time we buy pork from a grocery store is to get that kind of thin sliced side bacon that;s popular for breakfast.... ... reason being that the wild hogs we hunt don;t have enough fat on them to produce good bacon.. they are very lean.... .. but if we cook a small one in camp we can get good shoulder cuts and chops out of it...

when we hunt the big ones and they are slow cooked in an emu..... the cooked meat literally falls off them and makes awesome shredded pork... ..we usually give most of that to the family who cooks it for us... ... and then package up just enough for us to take home and make a few meals of it.... it would make good barbecue too.... .but we usually eat it in combination with shredded cabbage.... the regular green.. red... and white kind.... all mixed together... ... some people like to douse that in soy sauce..... . .. but it;s good without it in my opinion....

the cabbage i use in chinese mongolian hot pot is traditional chinese cabbage... (or what;s called napa valley cabbage in the grocery stores) ... completely different, but just as good.. works better in hot soups ... :)

Road trip coming up; made some jerky. I can't stand store bought jerky, it's LOADED with sugar. I made a couple different kinds of jerky, Teriyaki and "plain". For the plain, I used liquid smoke flavor, seasoned salt and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning for a peppery bite. Sadly, I overdosed the meat with the seasoned salt. That stuff is SALTY, even by my standards. Oh well, throw it in a pot of beans...
As for the teriyaki stuff, it's still drying. The teriyaki marinade added a lot of moisture. I like this marinade. It has a hint of sweetness but is good and tangy.
What does this have to do with the OP? Other than talking about cured/preserved meats, not much. I'm sure my salt jerky will last until well into the next decade or beyond. I cured and smoked some pork chops once that were way too salty to eat. I threw them in a Ziploc bag and tossed them in the fridge and there they sat for over a year. Found them one day and cooked up a pot of black eyed peas. I added nothing to them other than one pork chop. Seasoned the whole pot perfectly.

Road trip coming up; made some jerky. I can't stand store bought jerky, it's LOADED with sugar. I made a couple different kinds of jerky, Teriyaki and "plain". For the plain, I used liquid smoke flavor, seasoned salt and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning for a peppery bite. Sadly, I overdosed the meat with the seasoned salt. That stuff is SALTY, even by my standards. Oh well, throw it in a pot of beans...
As for the teriyaki stuff, it's still drying. The teriyaki marinade added a lot of moisture. I like this marinade. It has a hint of sweetness but is good and tangy.
What does this have to do with the OP? Other than talking about cured/preserved meats, not much. I'm sure my salt jerky will last until well into the next decade or beyond. I cured and smoked some pork chops once that were way too salty to eat. I threw them in a Ziploc bag and tossed them in the fridge and there they sat for over a year. Found them one day and cooked up a pot of black eyed peas. I added nothing to them other than one pork chop. Seasoned the whole pot perfectly.
....but will you be havin any cabbage with that?..... .☘️..😉

Last edited: