Hard Preaching

cpizzle

Elect
Reaction score
The standard definition of "Hard Preaching" is aggressively condemning as much "sin" as possible.  Preaching against booze, britches, Southern Baptists, and other brethren make you a "hard preacher" and tougher than those other guys. 

Let me tell you what is truly "Hard Preaching."

- Learning to control our tempers
- Forgiving those who intentionally hurt us and falsely accuse us
- Not recompensing "evil with evil", but rather "evil with good."
- Loving those who hate us
- Being charitable to someone who doesn't deserve it
- Preaching the Bible accurately while still encouraging your members to live holy through their "Walk with the Spirit."
- Holding Donald Trump to the same standards we held Bill Clinton and Barack Obama
- Telling people to give as God leads them and not by a legalistic, OT tithing doctrine that was done away with on the cross (and trusting God to still meet the needs of the church)
- Preaching that what comes out of our mouths is much more defiling that what goes in (and comes out later...)

Legalism is actually very easy.  No one has to grow Spiritually, only conform outwardly.
Liberty is very difficult.  It requires Christians to "Walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

cpizzle said:
The standard definition of "Hard Preaching" is aggressively condemning as much "sin" as possible.  Preaching against booze, britches, Southern Baptists, and other brethren make you a "hard preacher" and tougher than those other guys. 

- Preaching the Bible accurately while still encouraging your members to live holy through their "Walk with the Spirit."
- Holding Donald Trump to the same standards we held Bill Clinton and Barack Obama
- Telling people to give as God leads them and not by a legalistic, OT tithing doctrine that was done away with on the cross (and trusting God to still meet the needs of the church)
- Preaching that what comes out of our mouths is much more defiling that what goes in (and comes out later...)

Legalism is actually very easy.  No one has to grow Spiritually, only conform outwardly.
Liberty is very difficult.  It requires Christians to "Walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

I see ya done gone librul.  :mad:

;D

The most controversial thing I ever preached was on the topic of "loving others."  I told my congregation, "If you see a veteran eating by himself at Cracker Barrel, go pay for his meal.  While you are at it, pay for the meal of the two black people who look like they just came from an anti-police rally.  In fact, if you see two gay guys, buy there meal too."

Almost got voted out :)

cpizzle said:
The most controversial thing I ever preached was on the topic of "loving others."  I told my congregation, "If you see a veteran eating by himself at Cracker Barrel, go pay for his meal.  While you are at it, pay for the meal of the two black people who look like they just came from an anti-police rally.  In fact, if you see two gay guys, buy there meal too."

I hope your voting members have matured since then.

subllibrm said:
cpizzle said:

I hope your voting members have matured since then.

I was joking about getting voted out.  I only for a few nervous amen's, but the point was well received.

cpizzle said:

I would vote out any pastor who failed to know the difference between "there" and "their". 

;D ;D ;D

Twisted said:
cpizzle said:

I would vote out any pastor who failed to know the difference between "there" and "their". 

;D ;D ;D

Well that's one place where spell check can't save you.
:)

Most "hard preaching" is merely hard to listen to preaching!

Hard preaching is merely giving one's opinion with "attitude" added.

I agree 100% man.

It is a tough pill to swallow to humble yourself and turn from your fleshly temptations and think (as clich? as it is now a days) "what would Jesus do?"

hard preaching steps on toes.....offends peoples pride and their acceptance of their sins....makes them face the wrong they do and makes them look at what they already know they should do.....its hard for a preacher to stand in front of people and say, its hard for the congregation to hear it, and its hard for the preacher and the congregation to apply in their lives....

excellent post brother....

Twisted said:
cpizzle said:

;D ;D ;D

Now that's hard preaching!

Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:
cpizzle said:
;D ;D ;D

Now that's hard preaching!
their, there, and don't forget they're.

cpizzle said:

I haven't logged in here in quite a while, and was kind of shocked by this list! Almost exactly the messages the Spirit has been bringing in our recent meetings!  Lol, I don't know you, do I?

I haven't logged in here in quite a while, and was kind of shocked by this list! Almost exactly the messages the Spirit has been bringing in our recent meetings!  Lol, I don't know you, do I?

HAC - Class of 2002
Pastor in Lebanon, TN

cpizzle said:

Great post! Now of course I will admit that when I think of hard preaching, what you mentioned does  come to my mind. And I do agree with hard preaching against sin, and specific sins at that! As well as hard preaching against apostasy, apostate churches and denominations (such as the Southern Baptist Convention), apostate pastors and false teachers, but what you mentioned  I do also agree with because  hard preaching is also preaching that comes from our testimony and witness to the lost world. Which I also believe is very important. Any Christian can do a fair show in the flesh by doing good outward deeds and conforming to a standard of good moral living. But what I see today is very little preaching that deals with inward Character, true biblical temperance and charity within the life of a born again Christian. Which is why when there is Bible preaching that is directed at the sins of the saints (sins within the local body of believers in a Local New Testament Church), at times there is not much shouts of an amen, but rather it can be very quiet, I know this because I have been blessed also to hear this kind of rare and  Biblical preaching. And this rare kind of preaching that deals with who we are our on the inside, preaching that deals with our character, integrity, and our personal walk and life, is quite sobering. If you go to any Independent Baptist church assembly, preaching against the Goat Billy Graham , or preaching against the Sodomites, or preaching against wicked Hollywood (aka Hellywood), is liked very much, and I would say is even at times popular among Fundamentalists. I myself enjoy good hard preaching that exposes and reproves the evil deeds and the works of darkness being committed in this evil world. But once again, the kind of preaching that is not very popular, is the preaching that deals with the sins, problems and issues that are happening in the local body of saved people, in the church. Among the local body of  believers. Sermons on self control, and temperance will not be as popular as ones against Hollywood. Sermons on not rendering evil for evil, controlling our temper, being slow to anger, on forgiveness, being charitable to people who are not deserving of it, sermons on keepers at home, and on husbands loving their wives as Christ loved the Church, these messages  will most likely always be the toughest ones to sit through and listen to because these are the sermons which are  geared at sharpening our Christian living and testimony and how we treat others. Especially how we treat those of the household of faith.

cpizzle said:

HAC - Class of 2002
Pastor in Lebanon, TN

I think you've figured it out!!!

Keep Wilson County straight over there. It's a tough job.

Jubal Sackett

Don't forget to throw in comedy with the hard preaching. Tony Hutson and Larry Brown are masters at it.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
Don't forget to throw in comedy with the hard preaching. Tony Hutson and Larry Brown are masters at it.

Or at least they think they are.  Some "preachers" appear to be no more than  frustrated professional comics, and spend way too much time telling jokes instead of preaching.

Jack Hyles also threw in humor making fun of non IFB's, CCM music, TBN and TV preachers and even took shots at other Fundy colleges (PCC).

While Brown and Hutson are known comics who also take pot shots on the categories above, Hyles took the Don Rickles approach and made it personal and even insulted people in the audience. Hyles definitely was king back then and he preached hard without even opening the Bible and bashing people who used the NIV.