Has anyone started a topic on the Dugger's yet?

cast.sheep

Elect
Reaction score
Just curious. 

What DO you think???  Should AMC drop their show?  Are they being unfairly criticized?  What SHOULD the parents have done years ago?  Do their strict moral standards have anything to do with Josh's behavior?  How could this have happened in a deeply religious family? Has Josh paid the price?  Is being forgiven by God enough?  Did a thread already get started and I missed it? 

What do you think about this whole situation?

http://www.fundamentalforums.org/index.php?topic=6006.0

They sold their image with a huge skeleton in the closet and profited financially, politically, and in popularity based on a lie. It isn't a matter of God's forgiveness but rather the result of the principle of sowing and reaping.

Smellin Coffee said:
They sold their image with a huge skeleton in the closet and profited financially, politically, and in popularity based on a lie. It isn't a matter of God's forgiveness but rather the result of the principle of sowing and reaping.
Good point.

Although, maybe they thought all that was behind them and they now had a chance to share their testimony and a Christian lifestyle in a non confrontational way.  Maybe.

Child abuse is a marker if Christian faith?

cast.sheep said:
Do their strict moral standards have anything to do with Josh's behavior?  How could this have happened in a deeply religious family?

The Evangelical church is a closed system that values its own governance over the American judicial system. In fact, the church, structured by the laws of God, often finds itself at odds with “the laws of man.” These conflicts are reconciled through a practice referred to as church governance, where many churches espouse a system found in the Bible in Matthew 18. The offended Christian is to first approach his “brother” with the fault in private. If there is no resolution, then the offended party should approach again with witnesses. Ultimately, he should tell the church. While instances of church governance are on the decline, many mainstream pastors defend the practice. In a 2014 article, John Ortberg, influential pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church, noted that church discipline can be effective if practiced correctly. But all too often church governance puts itself in between abusers and the law.

This is nothing new to anyone who has been involved in a church. Growing up in a slew of Evangelical churches, I saw this system of governance deployed to handle anything from adultery to domestic violence to pedophilia. And in each instance, this system has failed to stop abusers or protect victims. There are no repercussions, because all an abuser has to do is ask for forgiveness from the victim and God. In 2013, Sovereign Grace Ministries was accused of covering up a pedophilia ring. Bill Gothard himself stepped down from his leadership position amid accusations of sexually harassing young women. Gothard cited the Matthew 18 directive for solving disputes among Christians, rather than the law that protects women from abusers. It’s a pattern of abuse, faith, and silence that, as Evangelicals love pointing out, has been seen before in the Catholic Church. But it seems that the pattern of using faith and fear to silence victims is a trait that many faiths share.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyzlenz/how-evangelical-churches-protect-abusers-like-josh-duggar

I occasionally see something on Facebook about the Duggar's and there is a wide gap between the supporters and the non-supporters.  Like most any controversy, there are good points on both sides.  But, as a whole, the issue is just sad in so many ways. 

The people whose opinions actually matter to me are here on the forum.  Yes, yes, I know....sad but true.

There is a part of me that couldn't care less, but there is another part of me that just wonders about it all and how it has all unfolded.  And how can we make sure it doesn't happen again in our own realm of influence. 

Try joining the other thread.  There are more posts there.

Just a quick reply here since I hate this new format and can't figure out things.

The Duggars will answer to God for failing to protect their innocent DAUGHTERS from their evil son.

cast.sheep said:
Do their strict moral standards have anything to do with Josh's behavior? 

Of course.  Strict moral standards are always the cause of something like this.  How could anyone think otherwise.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Of course.  Strict moral standards are always the cause of something like this.  How could anyone think otherwise.

Moral standards are needed for any society to survive. With all the scandals in strict religious faiths it does cause one to wonder if standards that are not proactively taught in scripture do have an ultimate negative impact. I am sure there are many exceptions on both sides (too strict vs too loose) but I have long ceased to believe that a church with many rules to keep people from sin is successful in accomplishing that. Not sure there is any correlation between true spirituality of Christians from strict churches as opposed to what we would have referred to at HAC as worldly churches. Frankly men getting a haircut and women not wearing pants makes neither more spiritual. Taking it a step farther I doubt never holding a woman's hand or kissing a woman prior to marriage has any impact on spirituality or being a good husband. 

Strict standards do help the unspiritual do right (look right?) as they grow in grace.  However, we have chosen to be satisfied with people doing right (looking right?) and not being spiritual.  Spiritual people do not need the Law of Moses (HAC Rulebook?) and can live under the blessed law of liberty.  "Walk in the Spirit and Ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

Moral standards are needed.

IMO, what happens is this, many make moral issues so excessive that a young person becomes curious before they naturally become curious, if that makes sense?

Then the child MAY act on such a strong curiosity because the parents made the child curious before they naturally become curious.

For example, some parents will not allow their children play tag with members of the opposite sex because they will be "touching " this is really stupid. IMO! 

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

RAIDER!  We brought our own children up with strict moral standards and we had no molestations in our home.  Perhaps I worded the question incorrectly, but the people who posted beneath you seemed to understand what I was asking.  You are nearly as sarcastic as I am.  8)

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

RAIDER!  We brought our own children up with strict moral standards and we had no molestations in our home.  Perhaps I worded the question incorrectly, but the people who posted beneath you seemed to understand what I was asking.  You are nearly as sarcastic as I am.  8)

:)

Bruh said:

IMO, what happens is this, many make moral issues so excessive that a young person becomes curious before they naturally become curious, if that makes sense?

Then the child MAY act on such a strong curiosity because the parents made the child curious before they naturally become curious.

For example, some parents will not allow their children play tag with members of the opposite sex because they will be "touching " this is really stupid. IMO!

You mean like when God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the one tree in the garden. He must of messed up and caused them to have an unhealthy interest in the tree because He denied them the tree. So it must be Gods fault.

deertracks said:
Bruh said:

You mean like when God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the one tree in the garden. He must of messed up and caused them to have an unhealthy interest in the tree because He denied them the tree. So it must be Gods fault.

You made me LOL!

Uumm No.

The average...............whoever is not God, your comparison is no comparison at all.

I used for example when kids are playing tag. Tag is not the fruit of the tree and parents CAN go about it all wrong, God does not go about anything in a wrong way. So why would you compare man to God? Because I didn't.

Again for example, has anyone been in a service and the speaker gets up and starts preaching against sexual sin and goes WAAAAAY over board?  The child be it teen or younger NOW wants to know what all the hype is about.

When before the curiousity was there but the speaker gave to much info for a child or teen and now there mind begans to wonder about things that a child is to young to handle.

10 being the most and 1 the least if the child's curiousity is a 3 the speaker may push it to a 5 now we have a problem, because it will grow.

I just believe that parents CAN bring about more curiousity or speed it up if not careful.