Hawaii and Dr. Hyles

Gladstone

Elect
Reaction score
I heard today that Dr. Hyles took his entire female staff to Hawaii with no other males present. I have never heard this before. Can anyone validate if this is true or false?

Gladstone said:
I heard today that Dr. Hyles took his entire female staff to Hawaii with no other males present. I have never heard this before. Can anyone validate if this is true or false?

Can't be true.  How could Dr. Hyles get all the males off the island?

Gladstone said:

Would say this is fake news.

Gladstone said:

I don't know about entire female staff, but I do know  he took some ladies from his staff to Hawaii, and that Beverly did not go. This was in the 60s I think? I've seen pictures from the trip, can't remember where.

Gladstone said:

You are close. Here is a quote from Robert Sumners article.

"As distasteful as it is to mention, perhaps we should refer to what one First Baptist deacon called "common knowledge" around the church, namely, that Jack and Beverly have separate bedrooms, the latter confiding to one of her best friends in Hammond, who told me herself, that Jack had not "touched" her in over 20 years. Others have told me the same. This woman, by the way, quoted Beverly, "Jennie Nischik is the one woman in my husband's life." Mrs. Hyles did not get to attend Dr. John R. Rice's funeral because her husband would not permit her to travel with him to Tennessee. When some of her friends offered to take her with them, she declined, saying she would not know how to explain it to the Rice sisters.

As far back as 1971, Hyles took four women, including Jennie, on an all-expense trip to Hawaii. He went alone with these women, the only male in the group, stayed at the same hotel with them, but his own wife did not accompany the party!"

http://www.biblicalevangelist.org/jack_hyles_chapter3.php

If you want more info it is contained in Robert Sumner's long multi chapter article. This is a fair and balanced look at what went on. I can attest to it's veracity having read the very same depositions.  At the time we were denying it was true, but we knew different. The trip was common knowledge Bro. Hyles even bragged about it publicly, he had us so under his control. It is no wonder that Mrs. Hyles now attends First Baptist Dallas, she never was a big supporter of Bro. Hyles philosophies, she was just a faithful wife caught in a bad marriage to a man she loved devotedly.

Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

I am curious. Hyles has been dead for 16+ years. So, 2 questions for you.
1.  Why do you care?
2. Does it matter 50 years later?
For the record, I am not a Hyles guy. I think he was a heretic. I'm just curious.

Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?
For the record, I am not a Hyles guy. I think he was a heretic. I'm just curious.
OK.....for the record........
A Question for you....Why should you care if we care?

Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?

1.  Because this is the Hyles forum.  And Hyles alumni live their lives to remember and spread dirt on their leader.

2.  It will to someone.

fishinnut said:
A Question for you....Why should you care if we care?

Well, I for one care that you care to know why he cares that we care.

Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

LOL

Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?

In my opinion Jack Hyles was the single greatest influencer of Baptist Fundamentalism in my lifetime...which included Baptist Fundamentalism's golden age. It is also my opinion that his influence is still huge in what remains of that movement. He certainly influenced me in my early years of ministry and most of his influence was beneficial.

I also believe he had a sinful relationship with the Nischik lady. The testimony of her children plus the court depositions of Dr Hyles offer clear cut evidence of such. I also believe the ministry he led and the people he surrounded himself with reflected the immorality he excused in his personal life (and the life of his son). I also believe his legacy is tainted with such and the 'empire' he built is a shell of what it once was.

But Pastor Wilkerson seems to me to be a man of character and integrity. He is trying to salvage some semblance of a legacy for the ministries in Hammond. I wish him well and pray that he succeeds...by the biblical standard of success.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?

In my opinion Jack Hyles was the single greatest influencer of Baptist Fundamentalism in my lifetime...which included Baptist Fundamentalism's golden age. It is also my opinion that his influence is still huge in what remains of that movement. He certainly influenced me in my early years of ministry and most of his influence was beneficial.

I also believe he had a sinful relationship with the Nischik lady. The testimony of her children plus the court depositions of Dr Hyles offer clear cut evidence of such. I also believe the ministry he led and the people he surrounded himself with reflected the immorality he excused in his personal life (and the life of his son). I also believe his legacy is tainted with such and the 'empire' he built is a shell of what it once was.

But Pastor Wilkerson seems to me to be a man of character and integrity. He is trying to salvage some semblance of a legacy for the ministries in Hammond. I wish him well and pray that he succeeds...by the biblical standard of success.

I have not been to FBCH in over 37 years. I have no reason to disagree with you about Wilkerson. I do wonder what is the legacy he is trying to salvage? Whatever good was done has been nullified by the personal lives of Hyles and Schaap. I have have a hard time understanding why anyone would pay money to go the college given the history and unless you really consider FBCH your church because you have been there so long why would you attend? Obviously people attend both and I am not their judge but it is hard to understand.

LongGone said:
I have not been to FBCH in over 37 years. I have no reason to disagree with you about Wilkerson. I do wonder what is the legacy he is trying to salvage?

You are assuming he is. Perhaps he is just doing his best to serve his Master in the middle of an enormous mess He tasked him with cleaning up.

Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?

It matters because Hyles is still held up (in some circles) as a model pastor. It matters as long as people are following his unscriptural leadership standards.

Walt said:
Jason Crank said:
Twisted said:
Gladstone said:

1.  Why do you care?

It matters because Hyles is still held up (in some circles) as a model pastor. It matters as long as people are following his unscriptural leadership standards.
Plus, it's just fun (for some people) to bring back history like a cow keeps bring back its stomach contents to chew over and over!  :p

Tom Brennan said:
LongGone said:
I have not been to FBCH in over 37 years. I have no reason to disagree with you about Wilkerson. I do wonder what is the legacy he is trying to salvage?

You are assuming he is. Perhaps he is just doing his best to serve his Master in the middle of an enormous mess He tasked him with cleaning up.

In my evaluation of Pastor Wilkerson, It is a given that he is 'simply doing his best to serve his Master'...which is what we all seek to do. However, he was doing that in California. I think that by 'cleaning up the mess' he is preserving some sort of legacy by default.

I think that he has his work cut out for him. I had NO idea what a cesspool Hammond was until I began frequenting this forum. And I know much of the criticism her is overblown, but Stevie Wonder can see how vile and corrupt it was...

Wilkerson is an opportunist. He sees FBC as his elevation. If he only cared about "serving the Master" he would have seen his previous flock as the best place to do that very thing.

I believe Bro. Wilkerson was very content at First Baptist Church of Long Beach. It's my understanding Wilkerson came to Hammond for one reason and one reason only. He believed with all his heart that God was calling him to. Why would someone walk into the mess the was FBCH unless he believe with God's guidance he could make a difference.

Pastor Wilkerson is a very humble man who works very hard and serves right along side every one else. He can be seen right beside everyone else when their is work to be done. He is a very humble man who make no attempt to look important. He is very approachable and is always interested in others. He even took the time out of his busy schedule, this summer, to travel some with one of the college tour groups.

It's my opinion God sent him to right the ship that is FBCH. I pray for him and their ministry every day and it is my hope that God will bless it.