He is the very model of a biblical philologist!

Despite the enjoyable and educational value of the song, I'm afraid that Esau was not a porphyriac. But the research was worthwhile.

Vince Massi said:
Despite the enjoyable and educational value of the song, I'm afraid that Esau was not a porphyriac. But the research was worthwhile.

I think Esau could've been a werewolf. Just a theory.

aleshanee said:
Izdaari said:
Vince Massi said:

i think it;s possible he could have been a werewolf...... i doubt he was a vampire........ though porphyriacs have been accused of being both in the past....... ..... which makes me wonder what the true nature of pauls "thorn in the flesh" was..... ???... i have my own theory about that one.......... but not quite ready to get chased off the forum for suggesting it yet...... :-X...... still... it;s just a theory........ and any one of those is just as good as another....  ;)

I've heard it said that Paul's thorn in his flesh was his wife.

That would explain some of the things he said about marriage.

Esau was not a porphyraic, because he was healthy enough to lead an army. It's genetic, and yet neither the Jews nor the Edomites have a lot of it.

He couldn't have been  a werewolf, because Zeus hadn't invented them yet.

Vince Massi said:
Esau was not a porphyraic, because he was healthy enough to lead an army. It's genetic, and yet neither the Jews nor the Edomites have a lot of it.

He couldn't have been  a werewolf, because Zeus hadn't invented them yet.

If anyone finds Vince's sense of humour, just let me or FSSL know, and we'll try to return it to him safely.

If Esau has been  porphyritic, when he re-united with Jacob, Esau would have had a terrible sunburn. But when Jacob embraced him, Esau didn't scream in pain. Sorry, but he just wasn't  porphyritic.

aleshanee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
aleshanee said:
Izdaari said:
Vince Massi said:

i think it;s possible he could have been a werewolf...... i doubt he was a vampire........ though porphyriacs have been accused of being both in the past....... ..... which makes me wonder what the true nature of pauls "thorn in the flesh" was..... ???... i have my own theory about that one.......... but not quite ready to get chased off the forum for suggesting it yet...... :-X...... still... it;s just a theory........ and any one of those is just as good as another....  ;)

I've heard it said that Paul's thorn in his flesh was his wife.

That would explain some of the things he said about marriage.

did paul even have a wife?......... ??? ...... the bible makes no mention of her.......and i think there is a very good reason for that........ 

I seem to recall that, in the time, Pharisees were expected to be married.  It was either a requirement, or very nearly so. 

aleshanee said:
Vince Massi said:
If Esau has been  porphyritic, when he re-united with Jacob, Esau would have had a terrible sunburn. But when Jacob embraced him, Esau didn't scream in pain. Sorry, but he just wasn't  porphyritic.

and you are so certain that all the symptoms of porphyria we see in the worst cases today would have also been evident in esaus time?.......or that he would have exhibited all of them?........... diseases and disease processes change over time..... viruses and pathogen mutate.... so do biological toxins...... and what makes you believe that if esau did have an extreme case of porphyria he wouldn;t also take some kind of precautions against the sun?.....

by the way....... where did you get the kind of advanced medical degree that qualifies you to make such a determination about an individual that has been dead for thousands of years..... that nobody alive today has even seen the bones or a picture of.....and which even professors teaching in medical school say might have had a type of porphyria?..... ???

did they teach pathophysiology at hyles anderson?...... ;D

Sure, of course, they taught all kinds of neat stuff in split chapel and especially on the night bus!

Aleshanee...

If Esau didn't have the symptoms of porphyria, then he didn't have porphyria.

From what we know of Jacob, odds are, between the two of them, it was he that had the potpourria.

So that's how the joke got started that Esau had porphyria! He had a fatal skin disease that would kill him so quickly that he needed a bowl of vegetable stew to save his life by instantly reversing the process! And he was healthy enough to go hunting!

The Bible plainly states that Esau despised his birthright, not that he sold it to stave off a fatal attack of porphyra. But now I know how the joke got started. Also, Esau's clothes smelled like a muddy field, not like diseased skin.

Man, we've got some deep theology going here!

PS. Since Esau didn't have the symptoms of porphyria, then he didn't have porphyria.

Aleshanee...

IT'S A JOKE!

The guy posted a funny song about proving he's a Bible expert because he uses big words that most people don't understand. IT'S A JOKE!

He's making fun of himself by pretending that he can make a complicated medical diagnosis by rejecting certain verses and adding a lot of medical complications to a simple Bible story. IT'S A JOKE!

He's being funny. He's assembled a verbally-complicated song in which he spins off a lot of big words that rhyme in the right places and have the right meter. IT'S A JOKE!

When he said that he knew for certain that Esau had porphyria he was being funny. He doesn't really believe that the Bible teaches that Esau had porphyria. IT'S A JOKE!

Vince Massi said:
Aleshanee...

If Esau didn't have the symptoms of porphyria, then he didn't have porphyria.

Vince doth protest too much, methinks.

Seriously, who cares? It was a joke, son.

Ransom, you can't figure out John 3:16, and you want to argue about porphyria?