He kissed orthodoxy goodbye.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
?Joshua Harris, the author of the best-seller "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," a book he authored in 1997 that he later renounced after shaping purity culture for many millennial believers, revealed that he is stepping back from his faith. In an Instagram post, he also apologized for his previously held views, including "bigotry" to the LGBTQ community.?

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/christian-author-joshua-harris-kissed-dating-goodbye-faith

Then I can only assume he was never a Christian.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:

We can safely conclude that he IS an apostate.

BTW, I've never heard of the guy.

Now Don Boys I've heard of.

Twisted said:

Or as he would put it one of the elect. He was  a Calvinist. Is he still religious or is he like that former Caedmon's Call guy?

brianb said:
Twisted said:

Or as he would put it one of the elect. He was a Calvinist. Is he still religious or is he like that former Caedmon's Call guy?

So he is NOT the "elect"?  How could you "unelect" yourself since (according to Calvin's heresy) you can't do anything to ELECT yourself?

Twisted said:
brianb said:
Twisted said:

Or as he would put it one of the elect. He was a Calvinist. Is he still religious or is he like that former Caedmon's Call guy?

So he is NOT the "elect"?  How could you "unelect" yourself since (according to Calvin's heresy) you can't do anything to ELECT yourself?

Your understanding of election rivals your understanding of the SBC.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
brianb said:
Twisted said:

Your understanding of election rivals your understanding of the SBC.

Well, thank you! 

brianb said:
Twisted said:

Or as he would put it one of the elect. He was  a Calvinist. Is he still religious or is he like that former Caedmon's Call guy?

The article linked to indicates that he has renounced his belief in Christianity.

https://theologyalongtheway.org/2018/04/10/derek-webb-wrestling-with-the-category-of-ex-christian-and-the-nature-of-true-saving-faith/

This is sad news indeed. I've never understood the no dating before marriage philosophy. It seems like a way to make life even more difficult for Christian singles. Perhaps he felt the pressure of having to defend this over the years, and that led him to renounce Christianity.

Tarheel Baptist said:
The article linked to indicates that he has renounced his belief in Christianity. 

If he was truly born-again, so what?  God will deal with him.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If he was truly born-again, so what?  God will deal with him.

That was posted in answer to this question:

HereIStand said:
This is sad news indeed. I've never understood the no dating before marriage philosophy. It seems like a way to make life even more difficult for Christian singles. Perhaps he felt the pressure of having to defend this over the years, and that led him to renounce Christianity.

Just so.  He kissed orthodoxy goodbye been when he endorsed that Purity Culture nonsense. Not a surprise that the cognitive dissonance eventually got to him.

Izdaari said:
HereIStand said:

Just so.  He kissed orthodoxy goodbye been when he endorsed that Purity Culture nonsense. Not a surprise that the cognitive dissonance eventually got to him.

His first book I Kissed Dating Goodbye which I never read but read excerpts from it just didn't sit right with me. It just seemed like a step up from IFBx - EvangelicalX I would call it.  For me it was the idea of courting. Then there was Boy meets Girl which kind of looked good on the cover but I never read that. Now maybe his marriage didn't work for him because he wasn't really a Christian and he was doing it in the flesh and not in the Spirit. 

Brianb.... excellent post

I always saw him as a Gothard-type. Some of my more intellectual friends fell for his stuff. I could never understand how they were enamored by the obvious legalism.

I'm still not sure what all this has to do with them ending their marriage and remaining friends. Is she a Christian and he is not? There are believer/unbeliever couples who stay married all the time. What's the deal with them?

HereIStand said:

he never was on our team to begin with .....Cared to much about what the world thinks

HereIStand said:

If I recall correctly he actually said that what he wrote was not meant for everyone. It was just something he did. Thankfully he only wrote books like the first one and the one relating to his engagement and not one about marriage. The reason they separated apparently was because of the significant changes in both of them whatever that means. They are still friends though which means what - they just can't live together like they did for 19 years? 

Maybe he is getting ready to come out of the closet.

From page 15 of his book

?Living for Myself
My own self-centered approach to romance started young. Even though I grew up in a Christian home, by the time I reached junior high I had embraced a very ungodly attitude toward relationships. I didn?t fear God. Despite my parents? diligence and godly example, I was living for sin and my own pleasure.?