Hello

Imrickblaine

Elect
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I started reading this site because I was curious as to what new things were going on at my alma mater and old church.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't say anything "new" is going on, just a repetition of the same dysfunctional cycle.  I can happily say that I'm over a decade removed, and glad that I'm this side of things.  I don't know who all still might be there, but I hope in some way they feel led to follow God and seek Him in a new setting.  From reading the posts on here, I believe I know a number of you and am grateful that we've made it out.  :)

Your name sounds familiar to me, where you there in the early 80's? If you are who I think I seem to remember Kim MciNtosh and you dated or at least had an interest in reach other. I also seem to remember you coming to our house to eat or we all landed up at someone's house to eat.....fading memories.

Oh, no, that predates me by a little over a decade.  I was there in the mid 90s, so it's not your memory. :) I can't say that I have a great deal of fond memories from my days there, although there were some.  There were a lot of people there that were extremely sincere and great people, I hope they've since made it out.  It's crazy to me how different things are when you leave.  Almost like being freed back into the world from being in captivity.  At any rate, I'm glad to be here.

I can say most have made it out yet there are some that I have no clue why they are still there.

I'm glad for that.  I can't venture a guess as to why people remain there, but it looks like the castle is crumbling down.  I would have rather seen Jim Vineyard at the helm for it, but Tom will do. :)

Imrickblaine said:
I'm glad for that.  I can't venture a guess as to why people remain there, but it looks like the castle is crumbling down.  I would have rather seen Jim Vineyard at the helm for it, but Tom will do. :)

Trust me JAV still is the controlling force of that place.  That is one of the main reasons he called Tommy Boy back from Africaand deemed him no longer a missionary.

It is crumbling right before JAV's eyes and he is totally useless to stop it.  He can only prolong the agony which I find humorus.

Good point, just me.  I remember that there was a time that I thought JAV was a combination of all the modern action heroes--unstoppable.  What I saw from a sermon video posted recently was a frail shell of a man who was trying to deliver a message with the same barks and mannerisms of before, but they all fell short like a mosquito hitting a wall.  I'm glad that all those who were spiritually abused might find some peace in the "empire" burning down. 

Imrickblaine said:
Good point, just me.  I remember that there was a time that I thought JAV was a combination of all the modern action heroes--unstoppable.  What I saw from a sermon video posted recently was a frail shell of a man who was trying to deliver a message with the same barks and mannerisms of before, but they all fell short like a mosquito hitting a wall.  I'm glad that all those who were spiritually abused might find some peace in the "empire" burning down.

I know many who will find happiness in the compounds demise.  All that is happening to the place brings a smile to the many abused and lied about who have passed through the walls of WHBC/OBC.  I know I personally heard many things said about those who departed against the wishes of JAV.  Only to later find out that I was lied to by the staff.  Got to the point that I no longer believed a word they stated about any who departed.

So, yes, many are rejoicing in its and JAV's demise

I was in the same boat.  I don't know if fortunate would be the term, but I had a number of friends that left and heard so many things said about them and hearing the stories of what would happen to them if they left the flock, then something happened--they were happy.  They would tell me about the churches that they had found, and how the people genuinely cared for each other and others.  I rejoiced in their joy, and was thankful that they found places where they could grow and serve.  Then I had friends that left and were so angry and hurt by the experience that they truly believed that every church was like that and that was being a Christian was all about.  My heart broke for them and this was the final push for me to make my exit.  I assured them that what we had gone through was different (not knowing for sure myself but hoped).  I was fortunate to find my place in a good church and leave the life behind.  It's still so awesome to know that there are so many people that have gone through the same things and make it out to know how rich and amazing life can truly be  :)

theretoolong said:
Your name sounds familiar to me, where you there in the early 80's? If you are who I think I seem to remember Kim MciNtosh and you dated or at least had an interest in reach other. I also seem to remember you coming to our house to eat or we all landed up at someone's house to eat.....fading memories.

The name may be familiar because "Rick Blaine" is the name of Bogart's character in Casablanca.
;)

Yes, I've been ousted--Rick Blaine is a moniker and has nothing to do with my name but Casablanca was one of my grandfather's favorite movies.  I'm not sure who Stan Enloe is, but hopefully that is a good thing. :)

Sorry.  The Stan Enloe thing is a joke from a previous incarnation of this forum.  I realized after I posted that most on here now will probably not get it.

Ah, I knew that I had seen it before but didn't remember where exactly.  As long as I didn't get hit with a 'Joan of arc' or 'outside the halo', I thought I would be good haha

FundamentalDan said:
Sorry.  The Stan Enloe thing is a joke from a previous incarnation of this forum.  I realized after I posted that most on here now will probably not get it.

Didn't someone post a short video clip of Stan Enloe and the OBC choir on the old forum?

I wonder if that could be found?

Well that was easy. I just Googled Stan Enloe and up popped the video on you tube!!

Stan Enloe

JustABigKid said:
Archer25 said:
Just me said:
Well that was easy. I just Googled Stan Enloe and up popped the video on you tube!!

Stan Enloe
after watching the "Stan Enloe" video, youtube suggested i watch this...

http://youtu.be/mTfpR5HDzoc
sounds familiar...

Heard a few rants like this in my life.

More than a few!!

If you could not rant and abuse people like that then you aren't a preacha in the IFBx world.

Imrickblaine said:
Ah, I knew that I had seen it before but didn't remember where exactly.  As long as I didn't get hit with a 'Joan of arc' or 'outside the halo', I thought I would be good haha

Ah . . .

. . . I see ... we have met.

Hahahahaha ... ; - )