Helper status again.

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Due to the barrel dropping in price there is a shortage of jobs in the oil field. After many years in the oil field I am a helper again.

#1. It's been very very humbling.

#2. It really really really is difficult getting filthy nasty dirty every single day.

#3. It's really difficult being told what to do, after all, the way I wanted to do it would've been better for so many reasons.

#4. Excuse my language but, it really really SUCKS BAD!!and I hate it. I ask the Lord to forgive me at least 100 times a day for not being thankful that I have a job.

Been through this in the construction trades.  Before 2008 I was on top of the world. Now I have to look up just to be able to see bottom.

Bruh said:
Due to the barrel dropping in price there is a shortage of jobs in the oil field. After many years in the oil field I am a helper again.

#2. It really really really is difficult getting filthy nasty dirty every single day.

#3. It's really difficult being told what to do, after all, the way I wanted to do it would've been better for so many reasons.

#4. Excuse my language but, it really really SUCKS BAD!!and I hate it. I ask the Lord to forgive me at least 100 times a day for not being thankful that I have a job.

You and I don't agree on much but I do feel for you in the situation you find yourself and hope that things will be brighter in the future. You can be thankful for the paycheck you have and still know that the situation is less than ideal. That is not ingratitude but facing the reality of the situation. My heart does feel for your job situation.

Some things that have helped me in life.

1.  Work is sacred.  Work is a gift given by God to man and has many beneficial aspects.
2.  My work is for God and God alone.  Men may task me, but the work is done in worship to my God.
3.  Men may be the vehicle in which I am paid but God pays me.  I have never asked for a raise of an employer.  They are not smart enough to meet my needs.  Every time I have wanted more money I asked God for it and He either provided a method for me to obtain it or gave me the raise.
4.  I don't differentiate between secular work and working for ministry.  To me they are one in the same.  I personally have made a policy to not be paid by the church for any work because God chooses to pay me through work I do in a secular field.  Even when a church ministry might collect money for ministry work I do, I do not in turn take that for myself.  I don't begrudge people who do but this helps keep my head straight.
5.  I have found myself without work in my secular job but I still went to work because there is always something to do at the church.
6.  God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.  This is not mere financial.  It is great wealth in many area of life.
7.  No man can abuse me.  The work is for God.  This keeps me from feeling used or burned out by others.
8.  It would be an insult to value myself in what a church can pay me so  I reject it and expect the greater reward from God. 
9.  It is an insult to value myself in comparison to what the world pays in mere money.  What the world gives is a pittance to the value as an Heir of the Creator.

This is how I live.  It is how I keep the day to day from getting me down.  It is an attitude of worship in our daily labors.

LongGone said:
Bruh said:

You and I don't agree on much but I do feel for you in the situation you find yourself and hope that things will be brighter in the future. You can be thankful for the paycheck you have and still know that the situation is less than ideal. That is not ingratitude but facing the reality of the situation. My heart does feel for your job situation.

Thanks!

TidesofTruth said:
Some things that have helped me in life.

1.  Work is sacred.  Work is a gift given by God to man and has many beneficial aspects.
2.  My work is for God and God alone.  Men may task me, but the work is done in worship to my God.
3.  Men may be the vehicle in which I am paid but God pays me.  I have never asked for a raise of an employer.  They are not smart enough to meet my needs.  Every time I have wanted more money I asked God for it and He either provided a method for me to obtain it or gave me the raise.
4.  I don't differentiate between secular work and working for ministry.  To me they are one in the same.  I personally have made a policy to not be paid by the church for any work because God chooses to pay me through work I do in a secular field.  Even when a church ministry might collect money for ministry work I do, I do not in turn take that for myself.  I don't begrudge people who do but this helps keep my head straight.
5.  I have found myself without work in my secular job but I still went to work because there is always something to do at the church.
6.  God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.  This is not mere financial.  It is great wealth in many area of life.
7.  No man can abuse me.  The work is for God.  This keeps me from feeling used or burned out by others.
8.  It would be an insult to value myself in what a church can pay me so  I reject it and expect the greater reward from God. 
9.  It is an insult to value myself in comparison to what the world pays in mere money.  What the world gives is a pittance to the value as an Heir of the Creator.

This is how I live.  It is how I keep the day to day from getting me down.  It is an attitude of worship in our daily labors.

Good points, thanks!

Raider, if my post drop its due to not being able to have my phone on me all day because of my job.

Please forgive me and thanks for understanding.

Bruh,
Sorry  you are going through this. If I may, could I ask you to kind of describe what you were doing in relation to what you are doing now? Also, just curiously, how did a HAC guy get to oil patch work?

If the questions I am asking are too personal or revealing or uncomfortable or whatever, ignore them. Once again, I sympathize.

Norefund said:
Bruh,
Sorry  you are going through this. If I may, could I ask you to kind of describe what you were doing in relation to what you are doing now? Also, just curiously, how did a HAC guy get to oil patch work?

If the questions I am asking are too personal or revealing or uncomfortable or whatever, ignore them. Once again, I sympathize.

I didn't go to HAC, my dad did as a married man with 4 kids.

I'm from southwest Louisiana where the (IMO) economy rest on the oil field, everything is driven by the oil field in these parts. My dad was in the oil field as a fitter/welder for 32 years. That's the way it is around here. After high school you go into the oil field. It's the major industry around here. After I graduated high school 2 weeks later I found myself on a deep water drilling rig.

In short what I did was this, if a rig needed a set of tools, that rig contacted a company like, Halliburton and gave them a list of tools with a deadline.

The oil company that the rig is drilling for hired me to go in a make sure that Halliburton was following procedure. I was the last sign off on all paper work saying these tools will run all day.  Quality assurance quality control.      QA/QC

I wrote reports everyday and emailed them to the oil company when the job was completed. I also emailed them status of job daily.

I've did this type work for the last 6 years or so

:) presently I work for for an NDT company (non-destructive testing) I inspect tools for Halliburton. The tools are sent offshore and when they return they are filthy with drilling mud and grease and other grime. The tools must be cleaned and inspected. They must be cleaned enough to be able to pass a white rag and the rag stay white. This is done with a pressure washer and then chemicals, it's a process.

This particular shop provides tools for 3 rigs presently. When it was busy they had 12 rigs they supplied.

So, I'm a helper :) for now till it picks back up. The company I'm with offered me a position when it gets busy again, we'll see what they offer when that time comes.

I was contracting myself out to 4 different oil companies before the slow down and they've already informed me that they will work me again when it picks up. So, I have options when that time comes.

My wife is a stay at home mother so I do what I need to do. With the slow down, Not always fun but I feel good that she has an option to stay home.

I told a guy at work the other day, we old school that's how we do things.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, while praying for things to pick up so you have options.

I know a little about being humbled, I drive a school bus! ???

LongGone said:
Bruh said:

I ditto what LongGone says, but I'm also thankful oil prices are down. 

Teri in NC said:
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, while praying for things to pick up so you have options.

Thanks, Teri in NC!

16KJV11 said:

Yes, I've thought about doing that as well.

Twisted said:
LongGone said:
Bruh said:

I ditto what LongGone says, but I'm also thankful oil prices are down.

Thanks!

I post this as someone who has lived.............holding on to the promises, whenever life sends me into the valleys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeLCuB8rU2Y

Bruh said:
16KJV11 said:

Yes, I've thought about doing that as well.
Don't think too long, the pay isn't good and the kids are worse! :p

BALAAM said:
Been through this in the construction trades.  Before 2008 I was on top of the world. Now I have to look up just to be able to see bottom.
Sept '07, vividly etched in my mind, as the day the music died.

earnestly contend