Hijab Day

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
February 1st, 140 countries participate in this day. I bet this coming Feb 1 we are going to see colleges and public schools encouraging/demanding this observance.

But if a Christian would show up on campus with a cross necklace not hidden under their shirt/blouse/hoodie/whatever they're wearing, offended little snowflakes everywhere would cry and demand a safe space from the pushy Christian trying to force their religion on everyone else.

I don't think I want to live on this planet anymore. Come quickly Lord Jesus.

FSSL said:
February 1st, 140 countries participate in this day. I bet this coming Feb 1 we are going to see colleges and public schools encouraging/demanding this observance.

At HB, there were times when on St. Patrick's Day, we were encouraged to wear green and there were probably no Irish nor Catholics in my classes!

HeDied4U said:
But if a Christian would show up on campus with a cross necklace not hidden under their shirt/blouse/hoodie/whatever they're wearing, offended little snowflakes everywhere would cry and demand a safe space from the pushy Christian trying to force their religion on everyone else.

The hijab is not for Muslims only but is rather a cultural. Hence, the comparison isn't quite accurate.

Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

It depends where you are. In a truly Muslim country it can not only be cultural but required by law for everyone including visitors like journalists who are female to wear it. In free countries though it's purely religious - a Muslim girl I work with said so.

brianb said:
It depends where you are. In a truly Muslim country it can not only be cultural but required by law for everyone including visitors like journalists who are female to wear it. In free countries though it's purely religious - a Muslim girl I work with said so.

Precisely. It could mean Muslim but not always. A white shirt, black pants, black tie and a bicycle could mean Mormon, but not always.

From the World Hijab Day website: "February 1st, 2013,  marked the first annual World Hijab Day in recognition of millions of Muslim women who choose to wear the hijab and live a life of modesty."

The purpose of the day is not simply cultural. It is to import a standard of modesty.

It is an oppression on women.

FSSL said:
From the World Hijab Day website: "February 1st, 2013,  marked the first annual World Hijab Day in recognition of millions of Muslim women who choose to wear the hijab and live a life of modesty."

The purpose of the day is not simply cultural. It is to import a standard of modesty.

It is an oppression on women.

OK. I hadn't done the research on it.

Smellin Coffee said:
The hijab is not for Muslims only but is rather a cultural. Hence, the comparison isn't quite accurate.

Sure, because the "culture" is informed by sharia law.