Hiring a Youth Pastor...

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
... what would you look for in a Youth Pastor? I am involved in a search committee, looking for a young biological male, self-identifying as a male, wearing male-style clothing who only uses the men's bathroom. ;)

Seriously though... What would you want to see in a youth pastor?

No need whatsoever for a youth pastor.

They need involved parents.

... or an assistant pastor because you have a deacon board???

Since we have a ministry of over 3,000  and our associate pastor has been over that ministry AND our contemporary ministry, it is time to get him some qualified and paid help.

It really is a biblical (and expedient) principle to get leaders in positions where they can lead share leadership responsibility to lead the mass. (eg Moses, Deacons in Acts)

Parents have full-time jobs. I am deeply involved in our teen ministry, yet I would have to stop my day job.

FSSL said:
... what would you look for in a Youth Pastor? I am involved in a search committee, looking for a young biological male, self-identifying as a male, wearing male-style clothing who only uses the men's bathroom. ;)

IMO, it's not a gender specific position. But I would say that, since since one of my denominations (ELCA) is led by a woman presiding bishop. and the other one (TEC) was, but we elected a man this time. Liberal thing? Mebbe so. But my previous conservative denomination (AG) ordained women too.

Can I apply? I've got the main qualification: Pizza!

ChObonKU8AAdxzc.jpg

Tim said:
Jim Jones said:

What does your Church do for youth that have parents not concerned for their spiritual state?

Any parent with teens are involved.

Babysitting by an overpaid PT Barnum is fruitless.

Tim said:
FSSL said:

The feedback I get from my teens is that they would like a mature individual who will open the Bible and teach them. Many times the outreach part of youth group puts the Christian kids at a disadvantage. They don't need a salvation message every Monday night, they need meat.

Personally, I would like to see a older, wiser individual teach the teens. Someone who has walked a few miles, had a teen or two, and can truly understand what they need. The argument is that older people can't run around with the kids - and that can be true .... but I see no reason why a Church can't round up some teen group graduates as helpers for sports.

Also. I don't see why the teens need to be separated from the Church. So, anyone who is a youth pastor shouldn't allow youth group to replace Church.

I also enjoy seeing the wife of the youth pastor assist with the ladies. A team effort.

Sounds like several good characteristics.

Jim Jones said:

I agree that there is no real need for a youth paster. As a parent with two teens, I prefer to teach my kids Bibical principles myself. I've had youth pastors tell my kids things that are contradictory to why my husband and I believe (such as you need to wear dresses to please God).

However, since my kids go to public school, they don't get a lot of opportunities to spend time with other Christian kids in a Christ-centered environment. They have Christian friends at school, but they don't read the Bible together or talk about Godly principles.  Youth activities are a time they can go out with other Christian kids and have their values supported.

As far as my kids' preference, they like to spend time in regular service, not youth services. They do not feel there is any better "quality" in kids from church vs school. Youth programs are more of a preference for me than for them.

Tim said:
Jim Jones said:
Tim said:
Jim Jones said:

What does your Church do for youth that have parents not concerned for their spiritual state?

Any parent with teens are involved.

Babysitting by an overpaid PT Barnum is fruitless.

All the youth at your Church come from Christian homes?

Your Church doesn't reach the youth in your community?

I'm solely concerned about my children.

Izdaari said:
Jim Jones said:
Hire Prince.

If he's dead, he wouldn't be much use. Kinda stinky too. If he's undead,  a vampire maybe, he'd be pretty lively, but likely a bad influence.

Same as a 24 year old novice.

FSSL said:
... our associate pastor has been over that ministry AND our contemporary ministry....

Well, there is your problem, right there in bold!

;D

Let's get away from the party kid who wants to say Jesus sometimes youth minister.

Give me a fellow who understands the Bible and has the giftedness to be able to teach it off the cuff in casual conversation and through well prepared lessons.  Let him have the ability to listen without freaking out, to apply the Bible to the life.  Let him be Socratic in his methods to help the teen discover truth rather than forcing the digestion of truth.

Binaca Chugger said:
FSSL said:
... our associate pastor has been over that ministry AND our contemporary ministry....

;D

Lol... It took way too long for someone to catch that!

FSSL said:
Binaca Chugger said:
FSSL said:
;D
Lol... It took way too long for someone to catch that!
I thought you were serious. Look in any phone book, even some of the fundamental churches have a contemporary or modern worship service listed.

Binaca Chugger said:
Let's get away from the party kid who wants to say Jesus sometimes youth minister.

Give me a fellow who understands the Bible and has the giftedness to be able to teach it off the cuff in casual conversation and through well prepared lessons.  Let him have the ability to listen without freaking out, to apply the Bible to the life.  Let him be Socratic in his methods to help the teen discover truth rather than forcing the digestion of truth.

Dave Hyles had some of those plus some you didn't list but the last one not so much. He also had a number of  bad habits. Can we list Godly as a required trait and how about humble as well? I would also add leads by example.

sword said:
I thought you were serious. Look in any phone book, even some of the fundamental churches have a contemporary or modern worship service listed.

I was serious. I just threw that detail in for fun. ;)

At my previous AG (Assemblies of God) church, the previous youth pastor was a young seminary grad. He was promoted to associate pastor, in which capacity he served for a few years, and then was recruited to be senior pastor at another church. He was succeeded as youth pastor by a seminary student/intern. As far I can tell (I was too old for youth groups), both did a fine job.

My present Episcopal/Lutheran church doesn't have or need a youth pastor  Since the average age of the whole congregation in 27, the whole congregation IS the youth group.