History material about Fundamental Baptists?

pastorryanhayden

Elect
Reaction score
I'm trying to compile some history on fundamentalism.  I'm finding its hard to find objective material.  Everything is either glowingly positive or extremely negative.
So far I've got George Marsdens books (which are objective but limited) and a couple of bios on J Frank Norris and John R Rice.  I've also read "The Sword of The Lord".  Anybody know of anything else? 

The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind - Mark Noll

Robert Delnay, A History of the Baptist Bible Union (Piedmont, NC: Piedmont Bible College Press, 1974)
McBeth, A History of the Baptists, pp. 580ff
David Beale, “In Pursuit of Purity (BJU Press, 1986)
Conservative Baptist, a publication of the C.B.F.M.S. (July–August, 1954)
Good, Kenneth. Are Baptists Calvinists? Oberlin, OH: Regular Baptist Heritage Fellowship, 1975.
Shelley, Bruce. Conservative Baptists: A Story of Twentieth-Century Dissent. Denver, CO: Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary, 1960.

pastorryanhayden said:
I'm trying to compile some history on fundamentalism.  I'm finding its hard to find objective material.  Everything is either glowingly positive or extremely negative.
So far I've got George Marsdens books (which are objective but limited) and a couple of bios on J Frank Norris and John R Rice.  I've also read "The Sword of The Lord".  Anybody know of anything else?

"The Fundamentalist Movement" by Jerry Falwell and Ed Dobson

subllibrm said:
Google Ketcham (GARBC) or the (IFCA)

That should keep you busy a while.

Or you could start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Ketcham

http://www.ifca.org/site/cpage.asp?sec_id=140006911&cpage_id=140032401

I have Ketchum's biography somewhere.  It's a good read.  Many people don't realize his contribution to fundamentalism. (My dad knew him personally and heard him preach four completely different sermons on John 3:16 within one week.  If my 84 year old father listed some of his "heroes", Robert Thomas Ketchum would be near the top of the list.) 

FSSL said:
Robert Delnay, A History of the Baptist Bible Union (Piedmont, NC: Piedmont Bible College Press, 1974)
McBeth, A History of the Baptists, pp. 580ff
David Beale, “In Pursuit of Purity (BJU Press, 1986)
Conservative Baptist, a publication of the C.B.F.M.S. (July–August, 1954)
Good, Kenneth. Are Baptists Calvinists? Oberlin, OH: Regular Baptist Heritage Fellowship, 1975.
Shelley, Bruce. Conservative Baptists: A Story of Twentieth-Century Dissent. Denver, CO: Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary, 1960.

I second the nomination of the bolded one. I would also add
http://www.amazon.com/BIBLICAL-SEPARATION-STRUGGLE-PURE-CHURCH/dp/0872278034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368209792&sr=8-1&keywords=ernest+pickering

I would be hesitant to use anything published by a Baptist college for an objective view of the history of fundamentalism. Likewise, I would question the objectivity of anything on the history of Catholicism put out by the Vatican, and I would question the objectivity of anything on the history of the United States put out by our federal government. Not saying that they cannot be objective...I just would be more hesitant.

FSSL - I noticed most of your recommendations were from Baptist print shops. How objective do you think they are?

rsc2a said:
I would be hesitant to use anything published by a Baptist college for an objective view of the history of fundamentalism. Likewise, I would question the objectivity of anything on the history of Catholicism put out by the Vatican, and I would question the objectivity of anything on the history of the United States put out by our federal government. Not saying that they cannot be objective...I just would be more hesitant.

FSSL - I noticed most of your recommendations were from Baptist print shops. How objective do you think they are?

Why don't you write one?  Seems that you're about the only objective person left.

[quote author=Reformed Guy]Why don't you write one?  Seems that you're about the only objective person left.[/quote]

I'm no more objective than the next guy. What I strive to do is acknowledge the areas where I'm not objective and take steps to let that lack of objectivity color my conclusions. Some people are blind to the fact that they also see the world through their own set of lenses.

admin said:
rsc2a said:
I would be hesitant to use anything published by a Baptist college....

These were publications by both sides of the issue. They are the source documents stored in a library. They are not published by MBBC.

Source documents are excellent resources. I was more referring to the list of titles you had mentioned.

[quote author=admin]

Since he already has Marsden and since these books are not all from IFBrs, I'd say that they are pretty reasonable. Beale from BJU is IFB.[/quote]

Marsden is excellent. I wasn't necessarily referring to the fact that the authors aren't all IFBers as to the fact that they all come from Baptist publishing houses...

For example, Crossway tends to publish books coming from a particular angle. Zondervan does the same. Along with Tor, HarperCollins, Harlequin, Oxford Press, McGraw-Hill, and virtually every other publishing house.

...I have found that it is usually better to try to research a particular topic by making sure I have sources from as wide a pool as practically possible. Multiple authors. Multiple publishers. Multiple backgrounds. Multiple.... That way you can compare and contrast what the various viewpoints are and see where one or another tends to show bias.

[quote author=admin]These, along with the old rags in the library, helped me along in discerning that fundamentalism as of late has less to do with separation over doctrine and more to do with personalities/loyalties.

How is that for objective? :)[/quote]

It's fabulous. :)

Thanks for all of the input.  I actually already had much of what you posted, but you've given me much more to go on.

I second "A History of Fundamentalism in America" by George W. Dollar (I admit a bias, he was my teacher, mentor, and friend).
I would add "The Fight for Fundamentalism" and "Facts for Fundamentalists."

All three deal primarily with Baptist fundamentalism as opposed to Beale's broader study of fundamentalism across denominational lines, but both authors are excellent.

George Dollar served as professor at Columbia Bible College, Chairman of the Department of Church History at Dallas Theological Seminary and Bob Jones University and vice-President of Piedmont Bible College. He was also Dean at Central Baptist Seminary of Minneapolis for my last two years there.

Dr. Dollar was a graduate of Gordon College and Gordon Divinity School. He received the Master of Theology degree in church history from Emory University and received a Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in church history from Boston University.

pastorryanhayden said:

I would suggest that you write and ask Bob Gray from Longview Texas. If nothing else he should be able to write a book about it in the next week or two. ;D

admin said:
You should check out the Billy Graham library in Wheaton. It has an awesome collection of materials that are rare. I have found a number of good books/rags there. And itis closer than MBBC.

Just make sure you go in with a disguise on. Don't want any hardcore IFB's seeing you go into THAT place! ;)

pastorryanhayden said:

The mark Noll book is good. I read it and liked it.  I have a couple others.

Thomas Cassidy said:
I second "A History of Fundamentalism in America" by George W. Dollar (I admit a bias, he was my teacher, mentor, and friend).
I would add "The Fight for Fundamentalism" and "Facts for Fundamentalists."

All three deal primarily with Baptist fundamentalism as opposed to Beale's broader study of fundamentalism across denominational lines, but both authors are excellent.

George Dollar served as professor at Columbia Bible College, Chairman of the Department of Church History at Dallas Theological Seminary and Bob Jones University and vice-President of Piedmont Bible College. He was also Dean at Central Baptist Seminary of Minneapolis for my last two years there.

Dr. Dollar was a graduate of Gordon College and Gordon Divinity School. He received the Master of Theology degree in church history from Emory University and received a Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in church history from Boston University.

Yeah, but Dollar is absolutely not objective. He is so anti-evangelical it is not funny. I have read it twice.

Try this:

51RR11ANDJL._SY300_.jpg

They included an educated Fundamentalist in the articles, Kevin Bauder, former President at Central Seminary in Minneapolis, MN.

Torrent v.3 said:
Yeah, but Dollar is absolutely not objective. He is so anti-evangelical it is not funny. I have read it twice.
Dr. George W. Dollar was not anti-evangelical. He self-identified as evangelical. He was anti-NEO-evangelical. Huge difference. (By the way, Kevin Bauder is also anti-neo-evangelical.)

Agent P said:
pastorryanhayden said:

"The Fundamentalist Movement" by Jerry Falwell and Ed Dobson

I misspoke.  The title of the book was "The Fundamentalist Phenomenon".