Home Security

JrChurch

Elect
Reaction score
We have decided to have home security installed and I don't know where to begin.  We live in a neighborhood that has been crime-free for the 19 years we have lived here, but now that we are empty-nesters (except during college breaks) we want a good system.  A few friends have systems they have installed and monitor themselves, but we are not interested in a DIY project because of the multiple entries into the house. 

Any advice?

JrChurch said:
We have decided to have home security installed and I don't know where to begin.  We live in a neighborhood that has been crime-free for the 19 years we have lived here, but now that we are empty-nesters (except during college breaks) we want a good system.  A few friends have systems they have installed and monitor themselves, but we are not interested in a DIY project because of the multiple entries into the house. 

Any advice?
12 gauge pump,  glock .45,  AR-15 and/or AK-47.....................those should be a good start

Bo said:
12 gauge pump,  glock .45,  AR-15 and/or AK-47.....................those should be a good start

That type of protection has been our primary for many years, plus I had the added knowledge that I could outrun my sons if I was scared enough ;).  This stage of life and the horrendous increase in pillhead crime has caused us to realize we need more. 

JrChurch said:
Bo said:

That type of protection has been our primary for many years, plus I had the added knowledge that I could outrun my sons if I was scared enough ;).  This stage of life and the horrendous increase in pillhead crime has caused us to realize we need more.

I've known people that had both ADP and CPI. One isn't any better than the other from what I've seen.

Whatever you get, get  a very loud siren. If you can afford it, get cameras. Good ones. Post signs that say you have an alarm with cameras. Don't rely on the police to get there in a hurry. They got so many false alarms they don't get a really big hurry. Be prepared for false alarms. The police department will give a few false alarms in a year but they will start charging you after a few. Check you local police policy. I think its $150 for a false alarm in my area. IF you have pets, they will set off motion detectors sooner or later.

praise_yeshua said:
I've known people that had both ADP and CPI. One isn't any better than the other from what I've seen.

Whatever you get, get  a very loud siren. If you can afford it, get cameras. Good ones. Post signs that say you have an alarm with cameras. Don't rely on the police to get there in a hurry. They got so many false alarms they don't get a really big hurry. Be prepared for false alarms. The police department will give a few false alarms in a year but they will start charging you after a few. Check you local police policy. I think its $150 for a false alarm in my area. IF you have pets, they will set off motion detectors sooner or later.
We are prepared for this to come with a high price, but I want it done right.  It is a large, sprawling, 3-level house and I have counted 22 entries attainable without a ladder  :eek: so this isn't going to be cheap.  Motion sensors are on my list since we have no pets. 

I once lived near an auto junk yard that had a guard emu instead of dogs.  They claimed it was faster, more dangerous and qualified their facility as a farm for tax incentives.

aleshanee said:
dogs are nice to have....and can sometimes help....... but they are also way too easy to distract or even disable ....... i know people who have bypassed and even abducted the most vicious of trained guard dogs with little more than peanut butter and duck tape... .........and as far as guns go........ if crooks know you have them it will likely make your house an even more desirable target as guns are usually at the top of the list of things they want to steal....most home invaders now days are well armed too.... and won;t hesitate to use whatever weapon they have....... the only truly effective deterrence is a system that not only makes it hard to get in undetected but guarantees the intruder will be identified and caught.........

services like adt..frontpoint... vivint... and others that offer things like good intrusion detection..cameras.... remote video monitoring and control through your smart phone....motion sensitive lighting and alarms..etc... are the best way to go........ .... it can get expensive...... and it;s one reason the maintenance fee in the building i live in is so high..... ... but if you can afford it it;s worth it....

Or you could hire aleshanee to hang out at your place with her bows.

aleshanee said:

services like adt..frontpoint... vivint... and others that offer things like good intrusion detection..cameras.... remote video monitoring and control through your smart phone....motion sensitive lighting and alarms..etc... are the best way to go........ .... it can get expensive...... and it;s one reason the maintenance fee in the building i live in is so high..... ... but if you can afford it it;s worth it....

Thanks for the good advice.  Made an appointment with a major company and will ask about those services.

This is the best deal on a Frontpoint security system that I have found. The monitoring is a little pricey at between $35-$50 per month:

https://my.angieslist.com/thebigdeal/malloffer.aspx?storefrontitemid=XHRaSSsz5QdGBpOY451veA%3D%3D

aleshanee said:
i know most of this would not even be relevant or feasible for a residential home owner in a stand alone house.......... but here is some of the features of how our building .. a luxury high rise...security system works......

just to enter our building a potential visitor has to ring up from a panel outside the front doors...... the area is surrounded by cameras and when they ring your apartment their image pops up on the screen of whatever registered device you are using at the moment... (tv..computer... cell phone etc)...... and it;s only cameras and a two way speaker out there... no screens......so you can see and talk to them but they can;t see you... in fact you can even change the view from different cameras or zoom in to see them from all angles and distances to see who is with them or verify they are alone......

the cameras also have recognition software and if they are already in the system can tell you who that person is even if you might not know or rmember them....

if you decide to let them in you type in the number of people in the party and then press ok....  the door will buzz open and they will proceed into a foyer to another electronically operated door.....you have to buzz that one open for them too at which point they are officially identified as an accepted house guest....and they will be told by electronic voice which elevator to use......that elevator will automatically open for them and take them directly to your floor..... it won;t stop anywhere else and they won;t be able to control it....... and you can watch them the entire time from the moment they appear on the property outside the building ...in the hallways ..in the elevator and all the way up to your door........ the recognition software will switch cameras as necessary and track every movement they make in your building once you have pushed the buttons to accept and identify them as a guest....

also....if someone tries to sneak in with your guest when the door is buzzed open recognition software sees that too and alerts security....... (who has an office right there in the downstairs lobby)...and the intruder will be arrested on the spot...... and if anyone in the accepted party of guests separates and goes his own way away from the others... security is alerted to that too and they go after them...... all the cameras have microphones and security can monitor all conversations in all common thoroughfares and common spaces of the building........ so in a way it;s a full fledged electronic big brother and guardian...... the only thing they can;t see into or listen to is the inside of your own apartment.......

on top of all that our apartment has it;s own independent security system .....not attached to or monitored by building security...... but hooked up to an outside security service... it has it;s own operating system that is pre set and pretty complicated...i don;t ever bother with it except to verify who i am when i come in the front door......  .... our apartment was originally built as a mid level safe house....... but it;s not used that way anymore....

very secure.... but also very expensive...... thankfully i;m not the one who pays for it....  :p

Wow.  Gotta be cheaper to hire you to hang out in the trees with your homemade bows.  ;D

Our big dog is a good guard dog but if they want in they will not stop but shoot the dog..sadly. Remember a security system is good at night but during the day when you're gone they can be in and out before the police can get there. Hide all your valuables in places they will not look. ....not under the bed....also consider getting a camera so you can have them on video ...my best to you!!