Honorary doctorates, Pickle U, and Jill Biden

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Madame First Lady—Mrs. Biden—Jill—kiddo: a bit of advice on what may seem like a small but I think is a not unimportant matter. Any chance you might drop the “Dr.” before your name? “Dr. Jill Biden” sounds and feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic. Your degree is, I believe, an Ed.D., a doctor of education,...

If you've been following the story in The Wall Street Journal about Jill Biden you know that they commented she should not use the term "doctor" even though she hasn an earned doctorate. This comes from a long-standing academic debate over whether or not people should use the title doctor if they are not a medical doctor.

What are your thoughts as to the legitimacy of people with earned phds being referred to as doctors?

Madame First Lady—Mrs. Biden—Jill—kiddo: a bit of advice on what may seem like a small but I think is a not unimportant matter. Any chance you might drop the “Dr.” before your name? “Dr. Jill Biden” sounds and feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic. Your degree is, I believe, an Ed.D., a doctor of education,...

If you've been following the story in The Wall Street Journal about Jill Biden you know that they commented she should not use the term "doctor" even though she hasn an earned doctorate. This comes from a long-standing academic debate over whether or not people should use the title doctor if they are not a medical doctor.

What are your thoughts as to the legitimacy of people with earned phds being referred to as doctors?
As long as you have an actual earned doctorate I guess flaunt it if you've got it. It brings me to an interesting point in comparing IFB vs. other churches. My former pastor like many in the IFB had an award of an honorary doctorate and believed it entitled him to be called "doctor". The church I have been attending both the senior and associate pastor have earned doctorates. However, unless you read their bio you would never know. Nowhere on the site or in church literature are they referred to as "Dr.".

That's what the honorific exists for. Jill Biden earned the terminal degree in her field. I read the WSJ op-ed you're referencing, and it came across as unnecessarily condescending.

That said, while the Dr. honorific has its uses--say, on a business/school letterhead or some formal situations, where one's academic credentials are significant--for someone in their private life to insist it be used comes across as pretentious. I've known numerous Ph.D.s in and out of university. If I wasn't on a first-name basis with them, then I called them "Professor Smith"--or, for that matter, "Pastor John"--rather than "Dr. Smith."

That's what the honorific exists for. Jill Biden earned the terminal degree in her field. I read the WSJ op-ed you're referencing, and it came across as unnecessarily condescending.

That said, while the Dr. honorific has its uses--say, on a business/school letterhead or some formal situations, where one's academic credentials are significant--for someone in their private life to insist it be used comes across as pretentious. I've known numerous Ph.D.s in and out of university. If I wasn't on a first-name basis with them, then I called them "Professor Smith"--or, for that matter, "Pastor John"--rather than "Dr. Smith."
It's been several decades since I have been in the academic environment, but I remember calling my professors "Dr so and so" when addressing them. I also work in a scientific environment where there are a few earned phds and none of those folks go by the title of doctor. Just before I came into the lab that I have been in for over 30 years now there was a fellow who was pretentious enough to expect to be called by that title but nobody gave him that undeserved respect.

The thing I found interesting from the article above was the cries from the radical left that this WSJ article was somehow sexist or chauvinistic and misogynistic. It seems that feigning injury has become a profession for those types of snowflakes.

In the end of the discussion I don't care one way or the other if she would like to be called "doctor" but from some of the evidence it does seem like the people who shout loudest and demand to be called "doctor" do it for all the wrong reasons.

That's "Doctor" Binaca Chugger to you, young man!

Does anyone have a list of the Honorary Doctorate recipients from HAC?
Does anyone know the last one?
I don't think Bro Wilkerson has awarded many if any.

Sorry, I don't have the complete list of honorary doctorates awarded by HAC. However, in 1978 HAC did award an honorary doctorate to John R. Rice's horse, Mac Arthur.

Let's see . . . in 1996 HAC awarded an honorary doctorate to the noted interior decorator Gail Riplinger. In 2009, Jack Schaap denounced Riplinger as an "adulteress."

Since we have a thread listing all the HAC alumni pastors, we need a new thread listing all the HAC/FBCH honorary doctorates.

Did someone say "Doctor?" Here I am. How can I help? lol

In addition to his horse, John R. Rice received one. John Olsen also received one. Jim Vineyard got one that I THINK was from HAC. Bruce Foster, who had coached at Tennessee Temple and was president of Jim's college got one.

Joe Biden will be receiving and honorary doctorate for becoming President and LeBron James is getting one from Harvard because he helped Biden win the election and because he claims he hates all white people and wants to free all black criminals.

It's too bad we can't get Jack Hyles comments.

Last edited: