Honoring Men

The BUS

Elect
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the Challenge Coin thread, so here goes:
Is it wrong to honor men?
I see, what I believe, to be much Scripture precedent to give honor, look up to, point others to, certain individuals who prove themselves worthy of honor.
And not just a certain group of men: preachers...but any man or woman who is worthy of honor.

The Bible does speak of people who are worthy of honor:
  • parents (Exod. 20:12)
  • rulers (1 Pet. 2:17)
  • those in authority (Rom. 13:12)
  • masters or employers (1 Tim. 6:1)
  • those who work hard or take risks for the sake of the Gospel (Phil. 2:29)
Their position, social status, or accomplishments make such people deserving of honour and respect.

By contrast, we talk a lot here about how certain Bible colleges promiscuously hand out "doctorates." There's a legitimate place for such honours, but I think a lot of what we see from those IFB colleges reeks of cronyism, favoritism, and hero worship.

I see, what I believe, to be much Scripture precedent to give honor, look up to, point others to, certain individuals who prove themselves worthy of honor.
And not just a certain group of men: preachers...but any man or woman who is worthy of honor.
I don't see anything wrong with giving honor to someone just so long as it isn't crossing the line into man/woman worship. Too many times, it does cross the line and isn't stopped or prevented. Case in point...Jack Hyles...Schaap...others. If only people would read their Bibles and learn!

It is Scripturally clear that honoring parents, employers, those that labor in the word, etc, is appropriate. Now defining exactly how that honor is to take the appropriate form, that's a whole lot more interesting to define. And I'd add that the ones who are being properly honored would do well to not seek nor revel in such honorifics.

If it was used to create a space at the college then it was not exactly for him. It was in his honor which businesses and organizations do all the time.
If they handed him $70,000 that would have been different. It was a space that I understand got used a lot.
Pastors at most mega churches are paid far more that those in large IFB Churches.
IFB churches may honor with words and title, but they sure do not honor with large salaries and benefits packages.

Jesus said this: John 5:44
44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

In other words, when we receive the glory of man, the honor of man, we cannot believe.
Could you clarify how this relates to my post?

Receiving Honor and receiving Glory are pretty close to the same thing. I think it is a dangerous thing. Yes, give proper recognition, but Psalm 115 says "Not to us O Lord, but to your name be glory." So the honor should always go to him, because if you are honest, you know that without the grace of God, you could do nothing. (I think Jesus said something like that.)
Of course that is what I was addressing when I said that people should not revel in honorifics. However, the OP simply asked if people should give honor to appropriate and deserving people groups, and the answer to that is biblically an absolutely resounding yes, it is commanded in numerous places.

Of course that is what I was addressing when I said that people should not revel in honorifics. However, the OP simply asked if people should give honor to appropriate and deserving people groups, and the answer to that is biblically an absolutely resounding yes, it is commanded in numerous places.
I believe it can be used wrongly also if you don't do this you will not be rewarded. Who cares but the Lord. I don't want man's praise......I've seen it used wrong .

Oh I'm sure they made all students and faculty donate. If a student didn't donate they probably got a couple of demerits.
You're joking right ? I know several places that have done this never at hac when I was there.

Alayboy will be participating as a junior in the choir portion of this Sunday's high School graduation ceremonies. Honor is given throughout the ceremonies in the form of praise for scholarships earned and a host of other things. People honor their parents by surprising them with golden wedding anniversary celebrations, where family and children oftentimes share memories of the impact that parents and grandparents have had. Sports figures are often honored as they are enshrined into Hall of Fame and other similar categories. There's nothing wrong with a proper form of honoring, but it is indeed very wrong when it is abused in the form that many on this forum have seen in their colleges and churches. I witnessed it first hand and have talked about it on here before. The only time I saw Jack Hyles in person the auditorium gave him about a 5-minute standing ovation as he came into the room. I stood alongside my pastor who took me, but I did not clap after the first couple seconds. To tell you the truth, it looked like people I would categorize as groupies and how they behave towards rock stars and I think that was wrong. I think that was undo honor and it played to the prurient interest of ego. More was made about Hyles in that moment than was ever said about Christ during the sermon, even though the sermon did have very pertinent and relevant application. So to sum it up again, proper honor to the proper people at the proper time is indeed proper. But those who are honored should not seek nor should they encourage that sort of Honor especially if it's done in excess.