• Relish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Onions

• Chili

• Combination (specify in post)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Other topping(s) (please specify in post)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I am insane and have no class, so I put ketchup on my hot dogs

• Mayo

• Slaw

• Cheese

• Total voters

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
What do you put on your hot dogs? 

This came to mind because I finally found hot dogs with natural casing at the supermarket.  Those are REAL hot dogs.  They snap when you bite into them, like they're supposed to. 

I'm fine with just mustard, but I like onions and/or sauerkraut and mustard, too.  And I also like chili (no beans, naturally) with onions and mustard on my hot dogs. 

aleshanee said:
mayonnaise....  8) ...... and even garlic mayonnaise sometimes.. :p........ sometimes mustard if we are the movies.. with mochi crunch buttered popcorn and a giant barqs root beer......  :D .........and i like the super thick beef ball park franks the best... .... all the others taste like cheap sausage to me....... and when it comes to sausage i;m very picky.. 8)...

At first I was disgusted at the thought of mayonnaise on a hot dog.  But then I realized I like mayo in a pork roll sandwich (or spam sandwich if I'm desperate and can't get pork roll).  So it might actually be pretty good.  And garlic is good in everything. 

For those of you who have no connection to New Jersey and have no idea what pork roll is:

sg_njpr11f.jpg

pork-roll-frying.jpg

Although I'm happy to say I can get pork roll here, almost 2,000 miles away from New Jersey.  Must be a lot of NJ transplants living here to create a demand. 

The Rogue Tomato said:

This came to mind because I finally found hot dogs with natural casing at the supermarket.  Those are REAL hot dogs.  They snap when you bite into them, like they're supposed to. 

I'm fine with just mustard, but I like onions and/or sauerkraut and mustard, too.  And I also like chili (no beans, naturally) with onions and mustard on my hot dogs.

In my part of West Virginia, a hot dog with everything includes mustard, onions, and sauce, which is a type of chili sauce that is unique to hot dogs. That is the normal way to eat a hot dog here. Oh, and absolutely NO ketchup at all. Ever. For any reason.

All of  the above (but mustard only with chili)...

...and how in the world could you have that list and not include slaw?

Mustard, but it has to be good mustard, Dijon or better. Cheap yellow mustard is not an edible substance.
Onions, lots and lots of onions.
Cheese sometimes, preferably natural sharp cheddar.
Peperoncini, the light green mildly hot peppers.
Sauerkraut, but only if I'm in the mood.
Chili and cheese sometimes.

Of course not all the above condiments are compatible with each other.

The dogs themselves should be high quality too. All beef kosher is my usual standard.
And I like high quality buns, natural whole grain, not Wonderbread junk, big enough to hold a lot of condiments.

My favorite hot dog of all time is a picnic dog:

a bit of mustard
bbq beans
potato salad

delicious! (but a rare treat)

Izdaari said:
Mustard, but it has to be good mustard, Dijon or better. Cheap yellow mustard is not an edible substance.
Onions, lots and lots of onions.
Cheese sometimes, preferably natural sharp cheddar.
Peperoncini, the light green mildly hot peppers.
Sauerkraut, but only if I'm in the mood.
Chili and cheese sometimes.

Of course not all the above condiments are compatible with each other.

The dogs themselves should be high quality too. All beef kosher is my usual standard.
And I like high quality buns, natural whole grain, not Wonderbread junk, big enough to hold a lot of condiments.

Yeah, lots and lots onions are fantastic on hot dogs.  Sometimes I get an irresistible craving for that combination.  I don't know why. 

I've never had pepperocini on a hot dog.  I'll have to try it sometime.  I like pepperocini in salads and on the side with meals.

Speaking of peppers, I put Dave's Insanity Sauce on a hot dog a couple times.  Now that was interesting.  It used to be the hottest sauce you could buy, but it lost that title years ago.  Now the title belongs to various brands of ghost pepper Carolina Reaper sauces, at least according to "the internets". 

Speaking of ghost peppers, I had a sample of ghost pepper cheese once at Costco.  It was wonderful.  I didn't buy it that day, and I've never been able to find it anywhere since. 

Mustard, onions, sweet relish, dill spear, sport pepper, tomato wedge, celery salt, poppy seed bun

Yooper dogs are something, too.

https://m.facebook.com/yooperdogs?_rdr

The Rogue Tomato said:

When we have a family get together we always have good hot dogs with natural casings. (old Wisconsin hot dogs) My grandkids always prefer the cheap ones!

I'm not a big hot dog fan, but I do love me a real German bratwurst on a real German brotchen.  Hard to find in my neck of the woods.  I prefer mine without condiments, thank you very much!

I like my hot dogs loaded. Typical combination includes: mustard, relish, ketchup, mayo, BBQ sauce, and possibly some sort of hot sauce, maybe some chopped onions or banana peppers if I have them.

Basically, pretty much anything that's good on a burger works well on a hot dog.

I don't get the American aversion to ketchup on their dogs. You eat it on pretty much everything else...

The Rogue Tomato said:

Cool. Always wanted to try a hot dog in a natural casing. You can't get them up here; so far as I know, every Canadian hot dog comes skinless. (Though years ago, in New Brunswick, I remember seeing hot dogs sold that for some reason were individually wrapped inside the larger package.)

The nearest you can get is probably something like a Johnsonville smokie, but that's not the same basic recipe as a frankfurter.

Ransom said:
I like my hot dogs loaded. Typical combination includes: mustard, relish, ketchup, mayo, BBQ sauce, and possibly some sort of hot sauce, maybe some chopped onions or banana peppers if I have them.

Blasphemer!!! 

Ransom said:
I don't get the American aversion to ketchup on their dogs. You eat it on pretty much everything else...

I don't actually use ketchup on much of anything. I can barely think of any uses for it where barbecue sauce wouldn't be better.

Ransom said:

Just a guess, but I think it's the sugary sweetness of ketchup.  A hot dog is savory, as in "having a spicy or salty quality without being sweet".  A sweet condiment clashes with the flavor.  Same with pastrami.  Pastrami should be hot, on rye, with mustard.  Again, it's a combination of savory flavors.  Ketchup would ruin it. 

Oh, and I almost never use ketchup.  Not even on french fries.  If I put anything on fries, it's salt and vinegar (which is basically ketchup without the sugar and tomatoes).

The Rogue Tomato said:
Ransom said:

Just a guess, but I think it's the sugary sweetness of ketchup.  A hot dog is savory, as in "having a spicy or salty quality without being sweet".  A sweet condiment clashes with the flavor.  Same with pastrami.  Pastrami should be hot, on rye, with mustard.  Again, it's a combination of savory flavors.  Ketchup would ruin it. 

Oh, and I almost never use ketchup.  Not even on french fries.  If I put anything on fries, it's salt and vinegar (which is basically ketchup without the sugar and tomatoes).

I can't think of anything that I ever eat ketchup on, except maybe on meatloaf as a topping.

Brown mustard and sauerkraut. Maybe some onions in tomato paste instead of sauerkraut.

Brats! Hog dogs are boloney tubes.