How do you view the Protestant Reformation?

Jason Crank said:
Does the Reformation have any effect on you?

Is this a trick question?

I'm not Protestant.

Yes, it does. And I view it largely positively. That does not mean I think Baptists are Protestants but it does mean I try to be balanced. I appreciate the reformers contributions in areas such as returning the sermon to the center of the service, a renewed attachment to Scripture, and a willingness to stand up against pressure. At the same time, I fault them greatly for the awful mistake of structuring themselves ecclesiastically so often as mini Roman Catholic churches. In fact, their great error was a wide ranging one; they kept so much of the RCC, entirely too much.

I'm also conscious that I do not know as much about them, or this period as I should, and it is on a list to study. This year I completed a biography of Martin Luther, and that helped. I have a couple of books set aside that refer more widely to the entire Reformation and I plan to read these at some point in the near future.

Tom Brennan said:
Yes, it does. And I view it largely positively. That does not mean I think Baptists are Protestants but it does mean I try to be balanced. I appreciate the reformers contributions in areas such as returning the sermon to the center of the service, a renewed attachment to Scripture, and a willingness to stand up against pressure. At the same time, I fault them greatly for the awful mistake of structuring themselves ecclesiastically so often as mini Roman Catholic churches. In fact, their great error was a wide ranging one; they kept so much of the RCC, entirely too much.

I'm also conscious that I do not know as much about them, or this period as I should, and it is on a list to study. This year I completed a biography of Martin Luther, and that helped. I have a couple of books set aside that refer more widely to the entire Reformation and I plan to read these at some point in the near future.

I just finished reading, "Here I Stand" about Luther. Tough reading for sure but I can't help but admire the man. Lots of things I can't understand though. He, along with other reformers, thought that blasphemy should be punishable by death. Sounds reasonable so far but they all had different ideas about what constitutes blasphemy. Apparently rebaptizing  folks fell under the heading.

Jason Crank said:
Does the Reformation have any effect on you?

I don't think that this is necessarily what is meant to be asked... the Reformation affected the entire Western World.  Because of this, it has an effect upon everyone.

I assume it was primarily from the Reformation that the idea to print the Bible in the language of the people got its start -- and so we have English Bibles today... The Pilgrims that came to America for religious freedom were an effect of the Reformation. The Anglican church was an effect of the Reformation, as are all Protestant churches.  Yes, that certainly affects me.

Jason Crank said:
Does theguess Reformation have any effect on you?
Let me guess you found out that on this day in 1715...........

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/martin-luther-posts-95-theses

This is not really about the Reformation, but about Luther himself. He would sometimes spend 5 and 6 hours a day with his confessor, confessing his sins. Even though he lived in a monastery he listed all the sins he could think of and spent all this time confessing. He then would almost immediately begin to worry about having to do it all again the next day or he worried that there may be something that was offensive to God that he was unaware of or that he had missed something.

It really makes me wonder about a cursory understanding that we have about  1John 1:9. I mean, if we can only get forgiveness of sin if we confess; then we are in trouble because we surely can't comprehend all of our sins or remember them.

BALAAM said:
It really makes me wonder about a cursory understanding that we have about 1John 1:9. I mean, if we can only get forgiveness of sin if we confess; then we are in trouble because we surely can't comprehend all of our sins or remember them.

What do you wonder?  Do you really believe that we must recount every single sin to God after each committal to receive forgiveness because a catholic priest did.  And make no mistake on who Luther was - a catholic priest who only added Salvation by faith and still kept most everything about the catholic system in his doctrine except for things that he wanted to rebel against.  The very idea of using a confessor is evidence in and of itself is idolatrous popery at its finest.    Be careful of the reformationists that have crept into the once baptistic churches.  They bring with them the root of Whoredom.  You can usually tell who they are because once in they quickly remove the word Baptist from their name or everything they once were in the guise of becoming more inclusive.  (poke poke) :)

BALAAM said:
This is not really about the Reformation, but about Luther himself. He would sometimes spend 5 and 6 hours a day with his confessor, confessing his sins. Even though he lived in a monastery he listed all the sins he could think of and spent all this time confessing. He then would almost immediately begin to worry about having to do it all again the next day or he worried that there may be something that was offensive to God that he was unaware of or that he had missed something.

It really makes me wonder about a cursory understanding that we have about  1John 1:9. I mean, if we can only get forgiveness of sin if we confess; then we are in trouble because we surely can't comprehend all of our sins or remember them.

It doesn't make me wonder about how we apply I John 1.9. It makes me wonder how/why Luther did. Confession should not be treated lightly but neither should it be treated so laboriously.

TidesofTruth said:
BALAAM said:
It really makes me wonder about a cursory understanding that we have about 1John 1:9. I mean, if we can only get forgiveness of sin if we confess; then we are in trouble because we surely can't comprehend all of our sins or remember them.

What do you wonder?  Do you really believe that we must recount every single sin to God after each committal to receive forgiveness because a catholic priest did.  And make no mistake on who Luther was - a catholic priest who only added Salvation by faith and still kept most everything about the catholic system in his doctrine except for things that he wanted to rebel against.  The very idea of using a confessor is evidence in and of itself is idolatrous popery at its finest.    Be careful of the reformationists that have crept into the once baptistic churches.  They bring with them the root of Whoredom.  You can usually tell who they are because once in they quickly remove the word Baptist from their name or everything they once were in the guise of becoming more inclusive.  (poke poke) :)

If only you could have been there to straighten all the reformers out.

Years ago while teaching at an IFBX Christian School, I worked part time at a restaurant with a young Lutheran guy studying for the ministry at a nearby church/small institute. A few years later after he graduated I heard the radio broadcast from his branch of Reformed Lutherans. What caught my attention especially was that his group is KJV but I won't say "only" as we would add it to Baptists.

He is now in his late 30's and pastors at the church where he studied. I see him every year or so maybe. Very conservative, yet very Lutheran in doctrine... infant baptism, rapture.... At the same time I am thinking about attending 95 Thesis service he has each year when the 500th anniversary is next year.

BALAAM said:
TidesofTruth said:
BALAAM said:

If only you could have been there to straighten all the reformers out.

Luther would have had me put to death.

BALAAM said:

One of those passages...

It is a self test: saved or not?

Yet we hear the majority of people who believe in Eternal Security teaching daily confession.
And we wonder why we are viewed as clowns.

earnestly contend