Hyles/Schaap Arminianists?

no value

Elect
Reaction score
I am currently doing an in-depth study of Calvinism vs Armianianism. Based on what I know I'm inclined to believe that Jack Hyles was and Jack Schaap is an Arminianist?

Would anyone dispute this? :-\

no value said:
I am currently doing an in-depth study of Calvinism vs Armianianism. Based on what I know I'm inclined to believe that Jack Hyles was and Jack Schaap is an Arminianist?

Do not Arminians believe you can lose your salvation?  Hyles did not believe this.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how Hyles felt about eternal security. Not to be sharky about this, but about all I ever remember about Hyles preaching was "come forward" and "1-2-3-pray-after-me."

So was Hyles perhaps a little bit both Calvinist and Arminianist?

no value said:
Thanks, I wasn't sure how Hyles felt about eternal security. Not to be sharky about this, but about all I ever remember about Hyles preaching was "come forward" and "1-2-3-pray-after-me."

Personally, I would not consider him either.  You are correct in the "1-2-3 pray after me" thought pattern that he had.  I think it got more out of control with his followers that it did with him personally.

Schaap was raised in a Reformed area, and vascilated between Calv and Arm.

Hyles was anti-Cal, anti-Arm, anti-Disp, Pre-Trib, Pre-Mil , Charismatholic.

prophet said:

Knew a little bit of that about Hyles (pre-trib, pre-mill), but really never know that much about Schaap's theological background. I guess so much gets covered up in the wake of a controversy (as in his Intimacy with Christ baloney).

As for Hyles, I guess he's probably more noted for the things he was against than the things he was for.

Thanks for the info.

prophet said:

nailed it

no value said:

When you get to the bottom of this issue, please let me know what you find. I always thought we were considered both depending on who you talk to.

no value said:

Seriously?

Did you listen to him at all?

<muttering to myself while stepping away from my keyboard>

no value said:

I'm guessing that your in depth study has mostly included books with pictures to this point.

freelance_christian said:
no value said:

I'm guessing that your in depth study has mostly included books with pictures to this point.

Christian Theology by Millard Erickson
Systematic Theology by Norman Geisler

Is that "pictures" enough for you?

no value said:
no value said:

Would anyone dispute this? :-

Reread my post on this thread.

Any attempt to categorize either Hyles or Schaap's beliefs will result in you looking uninformed.

I wasn't joking.

Hyles made it up as he went, and was famous for what he was against, not what he was for.

He adapted to whatever new father figure showed up in his life, so winds of doctrine blew through Hammond quite often.

No one, least of all Schaap, has any idea what he believes, but his Reformed Roots came through at times....

Don't waste your time.

Oh, and no real follower of Christ fits into any category or theological system, either.

The Word always trumps some man's take on Him.

prophet said:
Hyles made it up as he went, and was famous for what he was against, not what he was for.

He adapted to whatever new father figure showed up in his life, so winds of doctrine blew through Hammond quite often.

No one, least of all Schaap, has any idea what he believes, but his Reformed Roots came through at times....

Hyles was very pragmatic and changed his giews as necessary to suport his agenda.  He switched to KJVO when he needed to rally support.

Schaap interpreted from a highly sexualized view.

breslau said:
prophet said:

Hyles was very pragmatic and changed his giews as necessary to suport his agenda.  He switched to KJVO when he needed to rally support.

Schaap's theology is perverted sexed-up pablum. However, if memory serves, years ago, didn't Hyles maintain the same balanced view of theology as John R Rice?  After Rice died, Hyles sprinted to succeed Rice as the defacto-leader of independent fundamentalism. IMO his KJVO pseudo-Ruckmanism was his attempt to carve out his niche.

no value said:
breslau said:
prophet said:

Schaap's theology is perverted sexed-up pablum. However, if memory serves, years ago, didn't Hyles maintain the same balanced view of theology as John R Rice?  After Rice died, Hyles sprinted to succeed Rice as the defacto-leader of independent fundamentalism. IMO his KJVO pseudo-Ruckmanism was his attempt to carve out his niche.
Hyles was part Southern Baptist and part Methodist, and was never the "balanced theologian".

Listen to those of us that heard him for years, he changed whenever some popular wind blew.

prophet said:
no value said:
no value said:

Any attempt to categorize either Hyles or Schaap's beliefs will result in you looking uninformed.

I wasn't joking.

Don't waste your time.

Oh, and no real follower of Christ fits into any category or theological system, either.

Do tell of Hyles reformed roots. This I gotta hear!

jmancrank said:
prophet said:
no value said:
no value said:

I wasn't joking.

Don't waste your time.

Do tell of Hyles reformed roots. This I gotta hear!
Schaap's Reformed roots.