Hyper(?)Dispensationalism

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
@Baptist Renegade dropped a term in the cult thread, Hyper-Dispensationalism in describing some far afield IFBs.

I've heard the term over the years but never paid much attention to it. So I decided to do a little reading on it mostly to get an idea of what it is and how it differs from classic dispensationalism.

What I'd like to do is start a discussion without hijacking another thread about classic vs hyper dispensationalism. I'm hoping it will not descend into a dispy/non-dispy and "why my position is superior" kind of thing.

TBH, I'd like to learn the schools of thought and where they arose from. I've studied the Scofield charts and graphs but never thought of them as anything other than an attempt to arrive at a frame of reference for biblical interpretation. Something to give a simple or visual means of understanding the scripture. As I've studied the scriptures for myself, I've seen both helpful and weak analogies in just about every attempt to set interpretation into a single frame of reference. Personally, I have developed my own way of thinking about these things but I would like to discuss this topic first before I reveal what I have concluded.

It goes without saying that God has spoken with and revealed himself at "sundry times and in divers manners" (on numerous occasions by differing means - Heb 11:1) and that such revelation is progressive in nature. It is therefore reasonable to distinguish different periods of time with the patriarchs, the covenant of Abraham, Israel, the age of the gentiles, the New Testament Church, and so forth. I would consider myself a moderate dispensationalist - perhaps a "leaky" one as John Macarthur calls himself. We may disagree on where these "divisions" of time take place and that is fine.

Just like "Hyper-Calvinism," everyone tends to define "Hyper-Dispensationalism" in a manner that excludes themselves. I would call the Ruckmanites "Hyper-Dispensationalists" because they "Dice and Slice" everything to the point that there are differing "Plans of Salvation" in each of the dispensations. They say that "Salvation by Grace through Faith" is pertinent only in the "Church Age" and in the Old Testament, it was "Faith and Works" and it will be "Faith and Works" once again in the "great tribulation" after the rapture and will be "all of works" during the Millennial Reign. They claim the Book of James to be "Tribulation Context" with the "Faith and Works" dissertation thus being "Not for our dispensation!"

Ruckmanites would not consider themselves hyper-dispensationalist. They attribute Hyper-Dispensationalism with the "Mid-Acts Dispensationalists" or "Dry Cleaners" who basically say that Baptism is not for this age and was done away with at the time of the stoning of Stephen and Israel's ultimate rejection of Messiah.

As I stated, I believe revelation to be progressive and believers lived out their faith in accordance to the revelation that they had received. All Adam and Eve knew was that one coming from their offspring would one day break the curse of sin and that they needed to be clothed with the skins of an innocent animal that had to die. The faith of Abraham began with this and continued with all of the promises God gave to Abraham. The substitutionary atonement was codified and illustrated with the Levitical law where Jewish believers were reminded of their sin every time they offered up a burnt offering. Revelation may be progressive but we find a consistent "Straight Line" of consistency regarding the gospel message.

Too tired to think but I think I have adequately explained. Good night everyone!

It goes without saying that God has spoken with and revealed himself at "sundry times and in divers manners" (on numerous occasions by differing means - Heb 11:1) and that such revelation is progressive in nature. It is therefore reasonable to distinguish different periods of time with the patriarchs, the covenant of Abraham, Israel, the age of the gentiles, the New Testament Church, and so forth. I would consider myself a moderate dispensationalist - perhaps a "leaky" one as John Macarthur calls himself. We may disagree on where these "divisions" of time take place and that is fine.

Just like "Hyper-Calvinism," everyone tends to define "Hyper-Dispensationalism" in a manner that excludes themselves. I would call the Ruckmanites "Hyper-Dispensationalists" because they "Dice and Slice" everything to the point that there are differing "Plans of Salvation" in each of the dispensations. They say that "Salvation by Grace through Faith" is pertinent only in the "Church Age" and in the Old Testament, it was "Faith and Works" and it will be "Faith and Works" once again in the "great tribulation" after the rapture and will be "all of works" during the Millennial Reign. They claim the Book of James to be "Tribulation Context" with the "Faith and Works" dissertation thus being "Not for our dispensation!"

Ruckmanites would not consider themselves hyper-dispensationalist. They attribute Hyper-Dispensationalism with the "Mid-Acts Dispensationalists" or "Dry Cleaners" who basically say that Baptism is not for this age and was done away with at the time of the stoning of Stephen and Israel's ultimate rejection of Messiah.

As I stated, I believe revelation to be progressive and believers lived out their faith in accordance to the revelation that they had received. All Adam and Eve knew was that one coming from their offspring would one day break the curse of sin and that they needed to be clothed with the skins of an innocent animal that had to die. The faith of Abraham began with this and continued with all of the promises God gave to Abraham. The substitutionary atonement was codified and illustrated with the Levitical law where Jewish believers were reminded of their sin every time they offered up a burnt offering. Revelation may be progressive but we find a consistent "Straight Line" of consistency regarding the gospel message.

Too tired to think but I think I have adequately explained. Good night everyone!
Progressive revelation is a great way of describing how God deals with us. I had never associated Hebrews 1:1 with the concept but it makes sense.

"Leaky dispensationalist" is another term I've heard but never paid much attention to. Although it's tongue in cheek, it's a fitting description.

We may disagree on where these "divisions" of time take place and that is fine.
Exactly. I am reticent to try to divide the scriptures into strictly defined divisions and say "this is where God instituted a new dispensation." To me, that has been the point where the label "hyper" applies.

Hebrews 11:6 has become my go-to when it comes to understanding how God deals with mankind. The requirement of faith is, if you will, the one constant seen throughout the entirety of Scripture. Faith was required of Adam and Eve prior to original sin. Think about it. They didn't have anymore of an explanation of why they weren't to eat of the forbidden fruit other than, "you will die." What concept of death could they have prior to death entering the world? All they had was God's word on the matter. Therefore, their responsibility was to trust the One who gave the order and believe He had their best interests in mind.

More in a bit...

Ultradispensationalism, which I presume to be synonymous with hyperdispensationalism, is a belief that the mystery of the Church was revealed to Paul alone, as expounded in his later epistles, and the Church did not exist until the mystery was revealed to the Gentiles. Vanilla ultradispensationalism (e.g. that of E. V. Bullinger) says this was at Acts 28:28. Modified versions (e.g. Cornelius Stam) say the Church began elsewhere in Acts (such as chapter 9 or 13). Where they all agree is that the church did not begin at Pentecost, but later.

Some implications of the doctrine:

• Paul was revealed a.completely different gospel to the one preached by Jesus or the other apostles.
  • This obviously sets Paul in opposition to Jesus.
  • It renders the majority of Jesus's own teachings utterly irrelevant to the present age.
  • One or both of the ordinances were not given to the Church. No Ultradispensationalists believe baptism is for the church. I assume this is because Jesus instituted it, but that was for the Jews under the Old Covenant or the millennium; Paul had no direct teachings concerning baptism.
  • Depending on when the Church began, communion may or may not be practiced, as (unlike baptism) Paul gave specific instructions in 1 Corinthians.

I'm no fan of Dispensationalistm, but I get along with mainstream dispies and am a member of a dispy church that doesn't make a big deal about it. The Ultradispensationalists are right out there.

Progressive revelation is a great way of describing how God deals with us. I had never associated Hebrews 1:1 with the concept but it makes sense.

"Leaky dispensationalist" is another term I've heard but never paid much attention to. Although it's tongue in cheek, it's a fitting description.
I would say that progressive revelation is linear and consistent where one thing builds upon another. Dispen(sensation)alism likes to throw wrenches into the gears and (like Eric Idle used to say) "Now For Something Completely Different!"

Yes, the NT Church was "hidden" and not mentioned by the OT Prophets but there should have been no surprise that the gospel message went over to the Gentiles as God promised Abraham that "In thee shall all of the nations of the earth be blessed!"

I would say that progressive revelation is linear and consistent where one thing builds upon another. Dispen(sensation)alism likes to throw wrenches into the gears and (like Eric Idle used to say) "Now For Something Completely Different!"

Yes, the NT Church was "hidden" and not mentioned by the OT Prophets but there should have been no surprise that the gospel message went over to the Gentiles as God promised Abraham that "In thee shall all of the nations of the earth be blessed!"
Exactly why I don't ascribe to a completely dispy or covenant interpretation. Both have useful illustrations but they fail at some point.

This is why I would maintain that we are and have always been in a state of FAITH. See my post where I began to lay out my take.

I have encountered two different men/ families in my time in church that subscribed to a soft version of hyper-dispensationalism. In both cases they were influenced by a TV preacher named Les Feldick.

Ultradispensationalism, which I presume to be synonymous with hyperdispensationalism, is a belief that the mystery of the Church was revealed to Paul alone, as expounded in his later epistles, and the Church did not exist until the mystery was revealed to the Gentiles. Vanilla ultradispensationalism (e.g. that of E. V. Bullinger) says this was at Acts 28:28. Modified versions (e.g. Cornelius Stam) say the Church began elsewhere in Acts (such as chapter 9 or 13). Where they all agree is that the church did not begin at Pentecost, but later.

Some implications of the doctrine:

• Paul was revealed a.completely different gospel to the one preached by Jesus or the other apostles.
  • This obviously sets Paul in opposition to Jesus.
  • It renders the majority of Jesus's own teachings utterly irrelevant to the present age.
  • One or both of the ordinances were not given to the Church. No Ultradispensationalists believe baptism is for the church. I assume this is because Jesus instituted it, but that was for the Jews under the Old Covenant or the millennium; Paul had no direct teachings concerning baptism.
  • Depending on when the Church began, communion may or may not be practiced, as (unlike baptism) Paul gave specific instructions in 1 Corinthians.

I'm no fan of Dispensationalistm, but I get along with mainstream dispies and am a member of a dispy church that doesn't make a big deal about it. The Ultradispensationalists are right out there.
Ransom's explanation here is what most mean when they reference "hyper-dispensationalism", not the average church that preaches the rapture and seven-year tribulation.

I have encountered two different men/ families in my time in church that subscribed to a soft version of hyper-dispensationalism. In both cases they were influenced by a TV preacher named Les Feldick.
Feldick is probably the best-known hyper-dispy out there, unless you get into the small circles of the Berean Bible Society or Grace Gospel Fellowship.

A dispensation is a period of time, or an age, on the present earth during which God tests man’s obedience to His will by means of some specific standard of conduct. For instance, Adam and Eve weren’t given the same rules given to Israel and certainly the Church isn’t bound by the law of Moses. It should be noted that man has been saved by grace through faith in each dispensation. Revelation is progressive and a “dispensation” is a dispensing of divine revelation.

The Authority of the Gospels and Acts

Tim 6:3-4
If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes or words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings.

The church is built upon “the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief conrerstone” (Eph 2: 19-20). The Book of Acts is a transitional book; but so are the four gospels. You can give to the Jew what is the Jew’s, to the Greek what is the Greek’s; and to the church what is the church’s without discarding the whole book!

Where can one find “the wholesome words of our Lord Jesus Christ” but in the beginning of the Book of Acts and the Gospels? Imagine the spiritual building of Ephesians 2:19-20 without a foundation. Ultra-dispensationalists give us that floating building.

The law of commandments contained in ordinances (Eph 2:15-16) was permitted for awhile alongside the preaching of the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29); however, it was abolished at the cross as far as God was concerned.

The Book of Acts records historically the phasing out of the old economy and the phasing in of the new. The veil was rent in the Gospels; not in the epistles! The idea that Hebrews to Revelation are tribulational books and don’t apply to the Church is ludicrous.​

Everyone who hasn’t heard the name of Jesus will die and go to hell because of their sins (lying, stealing, killing, adultery, etc.), because everyone at the Great White Throne will be judged according to their works (Rev 20:11-15). Jesus is the only hope we have because we are all sinners by nature.

It is hard to put everyone in the same classification because there are hyper-Calvinists and hyper every other group that differ on many points. But I would say that the majority of hyper-Dispensationalists teach that repentance should not be preached because of their emphasis of faith only. This is where the Calvinists get it right. God grants repentance unto eternal life (Acts 11:18). There is none that seeks after God, no not one (Rom 3:10-11). This is where all the fighting and bickering comes in. God knows from eternity past who will and who will not be saved. Christians were chosen before the foundation of the world and predestinated to be adopted according to the good pleasure of his will (Eph 1:4-5).

The sin of unbelief will damn someone who rejects the gospel because those who refuse to believe what God has revealed through His Son Jesus Christ is calling God a liar. If I came up to you and asked you what your name is and I said I don’t believe you. If I asked you where you work and I said I don’t believe you. I asked you who your wife is and I said I don’t believe you. If I didn’t believe anything you told me you would be ready to punch me in the nose and surely you would never have a relationship with me. The same applies to everyone who says to God I don’t believe you sent your Son to die for my sins. I don’t believe you came in the flesh as your word teaches. I don’t believe in a heaven or hell, etc. God can never have a relationship to those who call Him a liar. That applies to all dispensations and the revelation God has given to each group.

Hyper-Dispensationalism also promotes “easy believism” because they reject the idea that someone can “believe” and still be lost not realizing that the devils also believe all the facts​
concerning Jesus Christ but are still lost. The Pharisees were the “fundamentalists” of their day who believed in the literal interpretation of scripture but their hearts weren’t right and they refused to repent and believe the gospel.

Vance Havner once said, “You can be as straight as a gun barrel theologically, but as empty as a gun barrel spiritually.”

I have, yet, to meet a hyperdispensationalist. I am sure they exist, but never met one.

I have, yet, to meet a hyperdispensationalist. I am sure they exist, but never met one.
What in the World?

We continue to be amazed by how many of our listeners are hearing and reading l Cor 15:1-4 for the first time and realizing that it is THE Gospel for this dispensation. Especially when they hear me say, "look for what is NOT in there!". No repentance, no asking for forgiveness, no water, no manifestation of miracles, no religious ritual – just believe it. Faith plus nothing!"
There are many hypers who believe just like Lez Feldick does. I have even heard Feldick on the radio call out anyone who preaches repentance from sins is preaching a false gospel. I'm sorry but they do exist.

I know they exist. I have never met one. Rare birds.

I know they exist. I have never met one. Rare birds.
When I was involved in Ruckmanism I was taught that Hebrews to Revelation had no doctrinal application to the church because they were tribulational books. Most did not go as far as Feldick but I have a friend in North Carolina who will never use the word repentance from the pulpit when preaching about salvation. He is scared of that word. They take one verse and divorce it from other passages which is very dangerous. You can go to seed on any doctrine. Out of almost 9 billion people on earth the Jehovah Witnesses make up only about 8.6 million or 0.00109026369 percent of the population. Would you say the Jehovah Witneses are insignificant? When Lez Feldick preaches from coast to coast to countless numbers of people and teaches what he does it may not be significant in many people's eyes but he is still dangerous as to how far he rejects many of the New Testament books.

Les Feldick teaches that Peter preached a different gospel than Paul. Only the Pauline epistles teach salvation by faith alone. This is a perversion of scripture. You can find this teaching on his website.

So as we study these little Jewish epistles, they are still all under the Jewish economy. There is almost nothing of the Gospel of Grace we’re living in today. There is nothing in here that pertains to the Body of Christ as such but it’s all a continuation of the four gospel accounts.

And I just reminded someone a little bit ago before the program started, I remember several years ago a gentleman came up and he said, "Les, you’re always telling us to be just as aware of what is not in the Scripture as what is." Absolutely! Because we’ve been programmed by tradition to just think that a lot of this stuff is in here, and it’s not. And that’s where the Lord gives us discretion to determine, "is it in the Book?" A good way to check it out is for us today in the Church Age, the epistles of Paul should be used for our Church Age doctrines, including our beautiful salvation doctrine.

II John 1:6a

"And this is love, (so far as the Jew’s relationship with God was concerned) that we walk after his commandment…." All right, and this is what John is encouraging these Jewish believers to still hang on to. They were still going by the Law and the commandments as God had given them to the Nation. And so it’s totally separated from Paul’s relationship with Christ.

II John 1:6

"And this is love, (this is what God is manifesting toward even these Jewish believers) that we walk after His commandments, (which at that time were still resting on the Ten but all the other 613 were part and parcel of it) This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." In other words, the true Jewish believer under the system of Law was constantly aware of the demands of the Law and to that is what he was obedient.

James is written to the Twelve tribes scattered. (Acts 8:1) So it is primarily Jewish. And there’s no Church language in here. James doesn’t make one single reference to the blood of Christ, how that it was shed for the sins of mankind - or to Christ’s glorious resurrection, all of which we must believe for our salvation here in the Church Age. (I Corinthians 15:1-4)

James 4:8

"Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."
the believing element of the Nation of Israel had believed for their salvation that Jesus was the Son of God, (their Messiah); they had repented of their sins and had been baptized in water. (Matthew 16:16 and Acts 2:38) Whereas, Paul’s Gospel tells the Body of Christ that, for salvation, we must believe in our heart that Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose from the dead. (I Corinthians 15:1-4 and Romans 10:9-10)

I Peter 1:1

"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia." Peter is addressing his apostleship to the Jews that are scattered. Paul tells us to "Separate the Scriptures," and I always say, Paul’s writings are for us, from the rest of Scripture. That way you can get your Church doctrine, and your salvation verses, and know what belongs to you. Then you can truly separate Law and Grace.

I Peter 1:2b

"… through sanctification (or the setting apart work) of the Spirit, unto obedience and the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied." that doesn’t mean Peter will make no reference, now, to Christ’s death, burial and His resurrection; and, as he does here, speaking of His shed Blood - certainly he will, because it’s a done deal, it’s past. But he does not present that as a means of salvation like Paul does.

James 2:26

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." Well remember, now, just the analogy that James is looking at works under the Law and it’s valid for these Jewish believers, but it is not the same as we under Grace can operate.

Last edited:
Practically all Ruckmanites teach all non-Pauline New Testament books apply to the Church spiritually but not doctrinally. This a case where one can believe such a thing and still be saved but it is also very dangerous. Christians can disagree on future events, Calvinism, Covenant theology, and many other subjects but there are hidden dangers when discrediting half the NT as not applying to the Church.

When I was involved in Ruckmanism I was taught that Hebrews to Revelation had no doctrinal application to the church because they were tribulational books. Most did not go as far as Feldick but…
When I was a young growing fundamentalist I didn’t know anything about the varieties of dispensationalism, and one day at work I went to a lunch Bible study that was being led by a “KJV man”, and being moderately KJV-only I figured it would be a good opportunity to stay in fellowship and study the Bible while at work. It was not long when I heard things like people would be saved different ways in different dispensations that I quickly tuned out and stopped attending. I found out a little later he was a Ruckmanite.

Earlier in this thread I saw Baptist Renegade (also a former Ruckmanite) refer to their views as “Dry Cleaners” ( I had never heard that term in relation to Dispensationalism before) and think that these varieties of (ultra) dispensationalists is a distinction without a difference, but it’s obviously true that Ruckman thought the difference was significant enough, at least according to this tract….

Practically all Ruckmanites teach all non-Pauline New Testament books apply to the Church spiritually but not doctrinally.
Huh? Could you explain this in a little more detail?