I believe that this article is based on a false premise.

1. Music​

No.

Singing to one another isn't merely church culture. It's commanded (Eph. 5:19). It's one of the ways in which Christians teach and encourage one another.

And if the article can't get that right from the get-go, there seems little point in continuing to read.[/indent]

First of all. I am not changing my church in order to accommodate the world!

If a bunch of filthy, dirty, maggot infested hippies show up at my Church door, I will welcome them with open arms and will love them as Christ loves them.

I probably would not wash their feet as Kelsey Grammar (Chuck Smith) did but I'd maybe stick a wading pool or something outside the door so they could "Self-Baptize" their own feet! :cool:

If some of them are good musicians. I'd love to jam with them because most of the musicians in our Church worship team can barely play their instruments! Discipleship comes first though and I want them to get themselves established in the Word! I will not just give over my services to some "Lonnie Frisbee Wannabe" that I have not thoroughly checked out! Chuck Smith learned this lesson the hard way!

They have come to hear and learn the Word of God. This is exactly what I would try my best to accomplish!

Chuck Smith (Played by Kelsey Grammar) did not go out looking to reach the hippies, the hippies came to him!

The word of God MUST have preeminence! There are times when our "Traditions" get in the way of this and the Holy Spirit needs to come in and shake things up.

"Semper Reformada" (Always Reforming) does not mean you are always changing things just to change things to fit whatever whim or fashion, it simply means we are always checking ourselves and making corrections as necessary to remain on course!

I think the most serious error of the author is that he starts with the needs of men as the basis of our worship and service, rather than starting with the glory of God as the primary motivating factor for how we do ministry.

I think the most serious error of the author is that he starts with the needs of men as the basis of our worship and service, rather than starting with the glory of God as the primary motivating factor for how we do ministry.
I don't know what has happened to you, but I completely agree with this post! 😊

I believe the church is for believers and should not be not planned in order to appeal to the lost.
What say you?

it;s just one more of the many attacks on the church by those who hate it..... ...it;s just coming from a different angle this time - trying to appear as if they actually care about christianity and what becomes of churches.... when in reality all they want is to see it cease to exist or become ineffective.....

besides... as christians and church members we are supposed to reach the unsaved and unchurched through personal evangelism done out in the world where those we want to reach live.... what we are instructed to do through scripture is go out into the "highways and hedges" and present the gospel to them there... lead them to Christ - then invite them to come to church to make a public profession of their faith and be baptized - and the world hates it when we do that..... they would rather churches use advertizing..(which they approve of)... then wait for the lost to show up on their own....

1. Music​

No.

Singing to one another isn't merely church culture. It's commanded (Eph. 5:19). It's one of the ways in which Christians teach and encourage one another.

And if the article can't get that right from the get-go, there seems little point in continuing to read.[/indent]
What they're actually saying is, give up on your style of music and adopt the style of those you're supposed to be trying to reach. If you're going to be contemporary, be contemporary, they're saying.

1. Music

I think divesting ourselves of musical instruments would be the most effective way returning worship to its proper mode and decorum.