I Don't Plan.......

Baptist City Holdout said:
on singing that God forsaken "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in church today.

Good for you!

That thing should be torn out of every hymnbook.

Twisted said:
on singing that God forsaken "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in church today.

Good for you!

That thing should be torn out of every hymnbook.
Yes

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

May I ask why?

Is it the "anti southern, pro abolition" sentiment it invoked at the original writing or is it the Unitarian beliefs of the author?  Of course, you may just think it's a stupid song.

I have reviewed it for it's scriptural merit and I don't have any big problems.  It invokes imagery of a holy and just God returning to judge the Earth with his saints worshiping him.  It also reminds us that Christ died for us and we should be willing to die for others.  I am not saying that it can't be "nitpicked" for errors in theology, but I don't expect all hymns to be "purified 7 times."  I've never sung the song (or know of anyone who sang it) who had there beliefs changed by it. 

I live up North but was born down South. However as I I grew  up in the 70's and continuing today it is accepted in the  repitoire.

My aversion does have to do with the author and the equation of the national cause with the spiritual.

If we take the song in a spiritual interpretation, why only  sing it on patriotic occasions.

The same reason we sing "He Lives" on Easter, "Joy to the World" on Christmas, "We Gather Together" on Thanksgiving, and "A Volunteer for Jesus" right before Tennessee plays Florida.  It is considered a Patriotic song and so we sing it during those occassions.  You can sing "Hark the Herals Angels Sing" in August...but it just seems a little out of place.

cpizzle said:
May I ask why?

Because the song is a lie.

Because of the reasons the author wrote it.

Because of who the author was.

Because it was written to justify that God was pleased with Americans killing Americans.

At least when I grew up in the South, we sang "He Lives" all year round.

I guess I was thinking of "Lo, in the Grave He Lay."  The one where we joyfully sing "Up from the grave he arose, with a mighty triumph o're his foes...."