I doubt he's saved.

CrAyCrAyJaY

Elect
Reaction score
I've heard preachers and fellow Christians make this statement, but
How could they know that? Example of what I heard is  "Billy graham ain't saved"  or  about a brother who goes to the movies, so why? How could they make such a judgment?

CrAyCrAyJaY said:
How could they know that? Example of what I heard is  "Billy graham ain't saved"  or  about a brother who goes to the movies, so why? How could they make such a judgment?

Most self-righteous people* have been sufficiently shamed out of saying this anymore, since only God knows.  So calling someone "unsaved" has been replaced with calling them "antinomian".

*{fixed it for you ~ admin}

Such preachers speak as Pharisees who are self-righteous...they are actually in violation of the Scripture...they speak of what they don't know, only the Lord knows!

CrAyCrAyJaY said:

It is fine to "doubt" that someone is saved -- that mean about the same think as "I'm not sure he's saved".

I don't think I've ever heard a preacher make a statement that "so-and-so is not saved".  Most realize that salvation is a heart matter, and we cannot see another person's heart.

At the same time, the so-called "sinner's prayer" is not a magic spell that guarantees that we are saved.  Salvation, in the Bible, has always brought a change in a person's life.  Many people backslide or go apostate, but there was a time when they did change.  I fear that we are too hasty to accept someone as saved these days.

Walt said:
CrAyCrAyJaY said:

It is fine to "doubt" that someone is saved -- that mean about the same think as "I'm not sure he's saved".

I don't think I've ever heard a preacher make a statement that "so-and-so is not saved".  Most realize that salvation is a heart matter, and we cannot see another person's heart.

At the same time, the so-called "sinner's prayer" is not a magic spell that guarantees that we are saved.  Salvation, in the Bible, has always brought a change in a person's life.  Many people backslide or go apostate, but there was a time when they did change.  I fear that we are too hasty to accept someone as saved these days.

We are also too hasty to assume someone is unsaved.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Walt said:
CrAyCrAyJaY said:

We are also too hasty to assume someone is unsaved.

I agree -- and it is often used against people that have offended us in some way.

"By their fruits ye shall know them"

This passage has been used by many in the IFB to make determinations about the salvation of others.  The result is usually "If you don't do what I say, your'e probably not even saved."

Binaca Chugger said:

This passage has been used by many in the IFB to make determinations about the salvation of others.  The result is usually "If you don't do what I say, your'e probably not even saved."
I have heard several of these wolves say: "if you don't obey the pastor, you probably aren't saved", and other things to that effect.

Earnestly Contend

Binaca Chugger said:

Okay, but what are the fruits?  We know at least some of the fruits of the Spirit:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.

And that passage contrasts the fruits of the Spirit to the desires of the flesh:

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

And reaching back to Matthew 7, the section that refers to "by their fruits you will know them" also warns:

7 ?Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 ?Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother?s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ?Let me take the speck out of your eye,? when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother?s eye.

So I would add that as a contrast to the fruits of the Spirit, i.e., judgmental attitude, hypocrisy.