I have been wrong...

Just John

Elect
Reaction score
I clearly never thought Trump's popularity would have lasted this long. I'm still very hopeful that those who support him will come to their senses and avoid what I believe will be a Hillary Clinton presidency. Trump puts a great deal in polls (providing they go his way which they certainly have again) but no national poll according to Real Clear Politics has ever shown Trump  beating Clinton. The latest shows the biggest deficit, 11 points and the thirty day poll average is 6.6 deficit.

Yes, polls can change. I hope they do...starting with the GOP in Iowa.  :) 

I've supported Trump but I'm generally anti everything at the moment.

The Republican party has become nothing but warmed over democrats. I'm very close to changing my voting affiliation to independent. I want to like Rubio but he's nothing more than Mitt Romney or John McCain. I voted for both and they lost. The Republican party has abandoned all social issues to embrace what they consider to be winning. I can't stand it. It really bothers me.

Even if Hilary wins.... it'll be better than what we have now. I've decided to really vote for who I want to vote for and forget about trying to support a majority candidate that never wins.

While we are on the subject,

Romney pretty much said the same things as Trump on immigration. He just had that stupid "self deportation" line.
Romney pretty much said the same things as Trump on jobs.
Romney pretty much had the same opinion on many things as Trump.....

By the way, what Trump said about Putin is right. As much as I dislike Putin, he's not the problem. In fact, he can help in many areas of Muslim extremism. Lets not forget that Russia was a reluctant ally in WW2.

Just John said:
I clearly never thought Trump's popularity would have lasted this long. I'm still very hopeful that those who support him will come to their senses and avoid what I believe will be a Hillary Clinton presidency. Trump puts a great deal in polls (providing they go his way which they certainly have again) but no national poll according to Real Clear Politics has ever shown Trump  beating Clinton. The latest shows the biggest deficit, 11 points and the thirty day poll average is 6.6 deficit.

Yes, you were wrong, but so were the so called experts in politics and media, so you were in good company. Are you beginning to understand the reason for Trump's success in the polls?

I believe he could actually get the nomination....although I really, really hope that does not happen. But, I do understand the why behind his support. The constant harangue against Trump and his supporters only strengthens and often expands that support.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-poll-numbers-worse-gop-174800336.html

Interesting article. Some believe that his support is higher than the polls show because people are afraid to admit they want him for President.  ;D

Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:

Yes, you were wrong, but so were the so called experts in politics and media, so you were in good company. Are you beginning to understand the reason for Trump's success in the polls?

I believe he could actually get the nomination....although I really, really hope that does not happen. But, I do understand the why behind his support. The constant harangue against Trump and his supporters only strengthens and often expands that support.

I understand why people are angry. But conservatives have always decried liberals as being emotionally-driven while conservatives are factually-driven. Many self-professing conservatives have now become emotionally-driven, ignoring brazen flip flops not just from recent years but from recent months. That is not the conservatism I grew up with. I would say nor is the recent budget deal but sadly it is. It shouldn't be and the way to change it is to continue to elect conservatives/tea party candidates to Congress and President. At the end of the day it does matter.

I do believe that Trump will hit a ceiling though as the polls still show. If it's Trump v Clinton "none of the above" could come in first. ;)

praise_yeshua said:
While we are on the subject,

Romney pretty much said the same things as Trump on immigration. He just had that stupid "self deportation" line.
Romney pretty much said the same things as Trump on jobs.
Romney pretty much had the same opinion on many things as Trump.....

The funny thing is Trump said the opposite of Trump in 2012:

Ronald Kessler reporting from Washington, D.C. ? The Republican Party will continue to lose presidential elections if it comes across as mean-spirited and unwelcoming toward people of color, Donald Trump tells Newsmax.

Whether intended or not, comments and policies of Mitt Romney and other Republican candidates during this election were seen by Hispanics and Asians as hostile to them, Trump says.

?Republicans didn?t have anything going for them with respect to Latinos and with respect to Asians,? the billionaire developer says.

?The Democrats didn?t have a policy for dealing with illegal immigrants, but what they did have going for them is they weren?t mean-spirited about it,? Trump says. ?They didn?t know what the policy was, but what they were is they were kind.?
Romney?s solution of ?self deportation? for illegal aliens made no sense and suggested that Republicans do not care about Hispanics in general, Trump says.

?He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,? Trump says. ?It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote,? Trump notes. ?He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.?

The GOP has to develop a comprehensive policy ?to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country,? Trump says.

I personally think Romney tanked himself by saying,"47% of Americans are dependent on government.....". True but poorly stated.

Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:

I understand why people are angry. But conservatives have always decried liberals as being emotionally-driven while conservatives are factually-driven. Many self-professing conservatives have now become emotionally-driven, ignoring brazen flip flops not just from recent years but from recent months. That is not the conservatism I grew up with. I would say nor is the recent budget deal but sadly it is. It shouldn't be and the way to change it is to continue to elect conservatives/tea party candidates to Congress and President. At the end of the day it does matter.

I do believe that Trump will hit a ceiling though as the polls still show. If it's Trump v Clinton "none of the above" could come in first. ;)

With due deference, I don't think you get it, JJ.
The Trump supporters I know, and they are many, are standing on principle as far as they are concerned. Trump is simply the poster boy for their discontent. It is not emotion, but the lack of principle they see in the Repuplican leadership and so called conservatives. The budget deal is the perfect illustration of why he has such support. In fact, I think the budget deal will increase Trumps numbers.

And the more his followers are castigated as throwing a tantrum, etc. you will see his support solidify and grow.

I agree with you that he is not the best candidate, by a long shot. But I completely understand his support and believe that, with due respect, your take on Trump is the same the party leadership has... They are tone deaf.