?I need to die to self? and ?I die daily?

NewCov

Elect
Reaction score
Popular Christian ideas like ?I need to die to self? and ?I die daily? misrepresent the simple fact that we already died with Christ and should instead just count on that death (and resurrection!) as being true in every moment.

Realizing our death with Christ as a finished work is very different from the idea of trying to ?take up our cross? and somehow ?die to self.? The die-to-self theology would have us buy into the idea that we?re dirty, sinful people who must rid ourselves of our selves, little by little. That way, we can display Christ to the world. Essentially, we must progressively be removed from the equation.

This martyr-like religious philosophy ignores a simple fact: at salvation, we have already been crucified (past tense) with Christ (Gal. 2:20; Rom. 6:6; Col. 3:3). Not only that, but the phrase ?die to self? is nowhere to be found from Genesis to Revelation.

Despite its absence, it seems to be choice theology for today?s Christians to explain their current fight with temptation. An analogy often given involves a black dog and a white dog?two selves within us. We need to feed the white dog (the new self) and starve the black dog (the old self). Another popular way to put it is that we keep putting our old self on the altar to be sacrificed, but it keeps crawling off!

While these analogies are creative, they send the wrong message. They don?t teach the truth of who we are as new creations in Christ. We weren?t put on an altar. We were crucified on a cross. Interestingly, crucifixion is a type of death that you cannot bring upon yourself. God could have planned for Jesus to die by any means. I believe he chose this particular death for Jesus (and for our old self) so that we would see the futility of trying to crucify ourselves.

Imagine trying to crucify yourself! You nail one hand up?then what? We didn?t play a role in our crucifixion, and we cannot add to what God has already accomplished on our behalf.

Whether it?s Romans telling us ?our old self was crucified? (Rom. 6:6) and that it was ?once for all? (Rom. 6:10?11), or whether it?s Galatians communicating that we were ?crucified with Christ? (Gal. 2:20), or whether it?s Colossians telling us that we ?have taken off [our] old self? (Col. 3:9), the message is the same. It is finished!

And yet, the Scriptures still say, "Put to death therefore what is earthly in you" (Col.  3:5), and "by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body" (Rom. 8:13).

Our future perfection is guaranteed by our justification. But in this life, sin and temptation are still a present reality. Hence we are told, with the Spirit's help, to strive towards that perfection that will one day be ours, by putting sinful desires to death so they no longer have power over us.

I?m headed to a meeting, but will answer soon.

Just remember what is said 2 versus earlier in Collasians 3:3 

For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God

Ransom said:
And yet, the Scriptures still say, "Put to death therefore what is earthly in you" (Col.  3:5), and "by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body" (Rom. 8:13).

Our future perfection is guaranteed by our justification. But in this life, sin and temptation are still a present reality. Hence we are told, with the Spirit's help, to strive towards that perfection that will one day be ours, by putting sinful desires to death so they no longer have power over us.

In  Colossians, Paul  is saying, Hey Colossians, look at all of the incredible things that have been given to you in the gospel. You had no hope, no God, nothing at all, and God Himself has poured this into your life.  Then he gets into behavior, and connects the two.  He connects the riches in Christ to the behavior.  He connects what God did, to what we do.  If we just teach and preach what we do, it  essentially cuts Paul ?s letters in half.  We can?t cherry pick verses, and cannot teach chapters 3,4 and 5, without looking at  chapters 1 and 2. 

That?s exactly what legalism does. It chops Paul?s and Peter?s and Jame?s letters in half.  Essentially teaching the behavior verses without a foundation.  You must weave the truths together. - what God did for us, and what truly works in our daily lives and decsion making, with the new hearts we have.

Why does behavior matter, if according to the Gospel, we won?t be judged for our sins? We have to ask this because the gospel is so powerful. It says there?s no condemnation for you. The gospel says your sins are forgotten forever.

So why even bother and behave? Paul tells us why. He?s basically saying when in heaven, do as heavenly people would do.

How would you act if Jesus was seated next to you? And not in a fearful or guilt ridden feeling. Christ is in us and we are in Christ, 24/7.  It?s normal for us, and automatically will be seeking things above.

He is saying let your mind, where me make our decisions, match your life.  It does say, ?Christ who is your life?. Christ is not a piece of your life, or a priority of your life, He IS your life! Science says our bodies are made up of cells at the core. As believers, if we put a spiritual microscope on our body, our cells and every part of us, is made up of Christ.

Now, your verse: Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry

This is where the legalist pulls out his checklist scroll.  This week I?m going to focus on sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, covetousness, and idolatry.

The only problem is that this is 1 verse, in 1 chapter in 1 book. So you fill up your pad with checklists and you add some more no no?s and don?t do?s. Before you know it, you have 25 pages listing all 216 offenses, rules and regulations.

In verse 5, what is the ?therefore? there for? We go back to verse 4 again and find out that Christ is our life. Because Christ is your life! not because God?s going get you, not because your going to be punished, not because your going to be condemned, or that He?s going to be hacked off at you. But because God is your life. Your life and body is dead to sin. Sin just isn?t going to work for you anymore. Period. Full stop.

Many preachers say the body is evil. It?s you against your body. The body is sinful, but you?re too. Say no to the body, say yes to God. That?s incorrect.

Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. It?s says your body is dead to sin. Sin is ugly, but God made your body. Now, sin can use your body. Don?t offer your body to sin, offer it to God. The body can be offered either way, but the body is not the enemy. It?s wrong thinking.

With Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live

There are lost people and then there are saved people.  Certainly if you live according to the flesh, inevitably, you will die. The real language is that you must die.

The common mistake that is made in interpreting that verse is assuming that it?s talking about believers. The whole point of Romans 8 is to contrast unbelievers with believers. Let me give you an example of how we can be sure of that, looking specifically at verse 13 and then continuing on (before and after that verse)

Verse 14 says For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 

The contrast is, that If you?re not led by the Spirit, you?re not sons of God

It?s a contrast of lost and saved and lost and saved.  If you are lost, you must die. If you are saved, in the spirit.  If you are a child of God, he puts away the misdeeds if the body and you will live.

If we read the whole chapter, it?s perfectly clear.

After reading NewCoV, I wonder why Paul wasted his time chastening the carnal Corinthians.

Twisted said:
After reading NewCoV, I wonder why Paul wasted his time chastening the carnal Corinthians.

I?m not quite sure what your point is. Can you expound a bit?