I went to church and a FUNERAL BROKE out..............................

Escapee

Elect
Reaction score
I have been to so many lifeless church services. There is not emotion, no passion and the music is DEAD. I have seen so many fight for their DEAD services as the will of God to keep the flock from worldliness.  The worship in the Bible was celebratory and festive in the OT.  Some of you think you are so spiritual because you mumble the words of hymns like a bunch of Catholic robots and this makes you more godly than other Christians.  I'M DONE WITH DEAD! Im also done with this "work it up" stuff.  That goes for campmeeting and contemporary! MY KING DESERVES MY PASSION,EMOTION and LIVELY WORSHIP! To Him be glory, honor and power forever AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Well if Larry Brown or Tony Hutson were preaching, you'd at least get some comedy and a few laughs. Jack Hyles would often try to get people to laugh with his off color Don Rickles wit. If Rom Vineayard's preaching it's hard to stay awake with his monotone robotic voice. His dad Jimmy could at least keep you awake as he had a rather unique sense of humor but he couldn't hold a candle to Dr. Hutson or Dr. Brown when it came to comedy in sermons.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
Well if Larry Brown or Tony Hutson were preaching, you'd at least get some comedy and a few laughs. Jack Hyles would often try to get people to laugh with his off color Don Rickles wit. If Rom Vineayard's preaching it's hard to stay awake with his monotone robotic voice. His dad Jimmy could at least keep you awake as he had a rather unique sense of humor but he couldn't hold a candle to Dr. Hutson or Dr. Brown when it came to comedy in sermons.

Tony Hutson a "Dr"?  Now THAT is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim said:
Lively in many Churches is closely related to fleshly.

Perhaps traditional and contemporary are paged with emotionalism.

Could you please define fleshly??? I dont know what that means when it comes to music at church. Before you give me that "2 & 4 Beat Bill Gothard" crap, what does that really mean. I have never wanted to commit adultery or worship the music at church, EVER!!!!

I guess the Apostle Paul wouldn't cut it today. A dude fell asleep in a loft in one of his boring services.

Tim said:
Escapee said:
Tim said:

Could you please define fleshly??? I dont know what that means when it comes to music at church. Before you give me that "2 & 4 Beat Bill Gothard" crap, what does that really mean. I have never wanted to commit adultery or worship the music at church, EVER!!!!

Simple. Fleshly would be defined as "focused on self" ... so many want things "their" way and not GODS way. Or, our sin nature, which has been dethroned by the regeneration of the believer, but is not yet destroyed in our actions. We desire our style of music, our style of giving, our style of teaching & preaching vs. a more Biblical approach.

Church shouldn't be a social club with counterfeit worship to a self created idea of what Gad wants, desires and demands. Another entertainment choice that is "good for the sole" ....

I think a Church service should be .... 1) True Worship unto a True God (removing self), or 2) a teaching environment to become a better believer.

So granny and pappy demanding that only hymns be sung are actually being fleshly! Thank you for hitting the nail upon the head.

Tim said:
Escapee said:
Tim said:

Simple. Fleshly would be defined as "focused on self" ... so many want things "their" way and not GODS way. Or, our sin nature, which has been dethroned by the regeneration of the believer, but is not yet destroyed in our actions. We desire our style of music, our style of giving, our style of teaching & preaching vs. a more Biblical approach.

Church shouldn't be a social club with counterfeit worship to a self created idea of what Gad wants, desires and demands. Another entertainment choice that is "good for the sole" ....

I think a Church service should be .... 1) True Worship unto a True God (removing self), or 2) a teaching environment to become a better believer.

1. True Worship is done in "Spirit and Truth". Hymns are full of selfish things.

2. Two words from the Scriptures does not a sermon make. Jesus spoke of how the Pharisees put..... lots and lots of effort.... into making a disciple and they ended up making them "two fold more the child of hell than themselves".

If you're going to complain. Get it right.

subllibrm said:
Tim said:
Escapee said:
Tim said:

So granny and pappy demanding that only hymns be sung are actually being fleshly! Thank you for hitting the nail upon the head.

When the young folk demand their rock it's alright. Go figure.

Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Tim said:
Escapee said:
Tim said:

I would not approve of that attitude either. Why would on be better than the other?

FWIW the "demanders" don't get no air time in my church, regardless of their fleshly preference.

subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

I would not approve of that attitude either. Why would on be better than the other?

FWIW the "demanders" don't get no air time in my church, regardless of their fleshly preference.

I'm on your side. I knew the point you were making. My response was aimed at the OP.

Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

I'm on your side. I knew the point you were making. My response was aimed at the OP.

Cool beans! It's all good my friend.

And isn't it funny how many will demand "grace" from the other side of the music issue without  considering whether they themselves are exercising any?

Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

Not sure I understand what your talking about. My church has a great balance of contemporary songs, new songs, hymns and inspirational. No one demands anything of anybody.  The young people never demand anything!

subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

Cool beans! It's all good my friend.

And isn't it funny how many will demand "grace" from the other side of the music issue without  considering whether they themselves are exercising any?

LOL. Pat yourself on the back.  If you think about what your saying we agree. I never say one word against preference. I do say a word about DEADNESS!

Escapee said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

Not sure I understand what your talking about. My church has a great balance of contemporary songs, new songs, hymns and inspirational. No one demands anything of anybody.  The young people never demand anything!

You wrote the OP my friend so define your terms.  You said  "lifeless church services", then "no emotion, no passion and the music is DEAD". Please tell what dead music is? What type should we avoid? You said  "MY KING DESERVES MY PASSION,EMOTION and LIVELY WORSHIP"! I've seen many a folk get all emotional, cry big tears yet when they walk thru the doors their lives change not. So tell us in what way {how} we should demonstrate emotion and passion in a worship service that's biblical? Does LIVELY WORSHIP mean acting like we do when at a ball game? Why is being more liturgical and singing hymns in a worship service not spiritual yet your way, however you define it, is more spiritual?

Bob H said:
Escapee said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

You wrote the OP my friend so define your terms.  You said  "lifeless church services", then "no emotion, no passion and the music is DEAD". Please tell what dead music is? What type should we avoid? You said  "MY KING DESERVES MY PASSION,EMOTION and LIVELY WORSHIP"! I've seen many a folk get all emotional, cry big tears yet when they walk thru the doors their lives change not. So tell us in what way {how} we should demonstrate emotion and passion in a worship service that's biblical? Does LIVELY WORSHIP mean acting like we do when at a ball game? Why is being more liturgical and singing hymns in a worship service not spiritual yet your way, however you define it, is more spiritual?

I have seen plenty of big tears shed at traditional services that resulted in no real change.

Altar call! "Just As I Am",  We will wait just another minute or two. Come now and repent! Some more "Just As I Am" followed by another round of "hurry down to the front and get right with God" pleading. Tears! Sorrow! EMOTION!!!!!!

And all of it done with just an organ. We don't need no stinkin' drums to gin up some emotional manipulation! ;)

And then they can go watch the ballgame!  :D

Bob H said:
Escapee said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

If you dont know what "lifeless church" is, that tells me you don't get out of your box much or you probably are leading one!  David danced naked before the Lord and it was a good thing!  Recorded in the holy KJV!  Music in the Old Testament was said to have been heard a good distance away.  Clap your hands! Raise your hands to God! Anybody with half a spiritual walk and passion for God knows when they are in an ice box!  I LOVE HYMNS!!!!!!  I LOVE REFLECTIVE, LITURGICAL songs  if you will.  But those aren't the only ones!  By the way, when you have a service where you know that the Holy Spirit moved and people were helped and you get a guest card that says, "NO CHOIR?? ONLY ONE HYMN?? NO TIE ON THE PASTOR???? PEOPLE CLAPPING AND RAISING THEIR ATTENAS????? NO THANK YOU".  You know you have had some Pharisees stop by!

Escapee said:
Bob H said:
Escapee said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:
Bob H said:
subllibrm said:

If you dont know what "lifeless church" is, that tells me you don't get out of your box much or you probably are leading one!  David danced naked before the Lord and it was a good thing!  Recorded in the holy KJV!  Music in the Old Testament was said to have been heard a good distance away.  Clap your hands! Raise your hands to God! Anybody with half a spiritual walk and passion for God knows when they are in an ice box!  I LOVE HYMNS!!!!!!  I LOVE REFLECTIVE, LITURGICAL songs  if you will.  But those aren't the only ones!  By the way, when you have a service where you know that the Holy Spirit moved and people were helped and you get a guest card that says, "NO CHOIR?? ONLY ONE HYMN?? NO TIE ON THE PASTOR???? PEOPLE CLAPPING AND RAISING THEIR ATTENAS????? NO THANK YOU".  You know you have had some Pharisees stop by!

David didn't dance naked. David didn't wear his royal attire and took upon himself the attire of a "servant" in front of the "girls" she looked to impress. Which is what made his wife mad.

You really shouldn't listen to others. Do some studying yourself.