iConference 2013

Boomer

Elect
Reaction score
I just received the mailer for FBCH's Youth Conference on July 16-18, 2013. Is this a new development? If I remember correctly (from the old forum), the plan was for them to discontinue the annual YC.

Kurt Skelly and Rick Finley are the guest speakers listed on the mailer.

Boomer said:
I just received the mailer for FBCH's Youth Conference on July 16-18, 2013. Is this a new development? If I remember correctly (from the old forum), the plan was for them to discontinue the annual YC.

Kurt Skelly and Rick Finley are the guest speakers listed on the mailer.
They are too dumb to see how foolish they look.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

ummmm.......

Didn't the new pastor say in his question and answer before being voted in that he had no desire to pastor the nation, or pastor pastors and that the primary concern would be to just care for the church and the people of the church?

So....... Apparently the people of the church need to be active thinking they have the answer for the world in order to grow themselves from the tragedy that has befallen them?

Also:

When he was asked who he would have speak, these were not on his top list.  Maybe they just escaped his mind at the time, or, more probably, it was all scheduled and done before he got there.

So much for replacing the broken leadership system in place.

It saddened me, to see them trying to act like they are simply putting a singular event behind them, and not like a corporate body that has corrupted their many followers, and has been brought low by God.

Binaca Chugger said:

...you just might want to give the guy more than a week on the job before you make that determination. Just sayin'. Joe Boyd told me one time that a church takes on the characteristics of its pastor after about five years. In my experience, that is largely accurate. IMHO, getting either too enamored with JW or writing him off as ineffective should not be done for at least a couple of years, if not longer.

I told people to give J.S. 5 years, and sure enough, he revealed his true neoevangelical agenda within that time.
You really can't affect much in a year or two.
FBCH needs to take 5 years, like a honeymoon, and just rebuild the foundation there, with Bible teaching, God's love, and simple local outreach.  Give JW some time, concentrate on home. 
If they try to run, before they can walk .....

Haven't you heard? Everything is perfect here now! We have a new pastor! That was the substance of a fb post by a prominent college adminstrator's wife...everything is fine, we've weathered the storm. The bad people have left the church, and the good people who know how to get a hold of God by fasting and praying and having a positive spirit have stayed and gotten hold of God and we are on to our greatest days now!

Never mind the wounded souls strewn along the ground all over the place, she and the other 'good Christians' who know how to fast and pray and get a hold of God just ignore them and walk past them in the same way the priest and the Levite walked past the wounded bleeding man that the Samaritan took pity on....

Actually, this conference has been planned since before JW became pastor. All he had to do was rubber stamp their plans. Which, apparently, he has. 

Honestly it seems that this church builds itself on its young people. So the young people need to be made to feel themselves to again be, as they are always told, the best young Christians in all the world. That status is really very important in Jesus' eyes.

And, they've started a basketball evangelism team at HAC that will probably appear at churches near you...it's the start of a whole new era!

I am going to venture to say that the annual yute conference was one of the largest drawing cards for hac and this is why they want to continue them.  They depend on the recruits from yute conference to keep hacadoodle afloat and I believe this is the reason for it.

...you just might want to give the guy more than a week on the job before you make that determination. Just sayin'. Joe Boyd told me one time that a church takes on the characteristics of its pastor after about five years.

I don't know JW.  Never met him.  Heard him preach once, but I tuned out before the pandering to the local pastor was over.  From what everyone has said, I hope he will help the church become a church again.

I grew up in Hammond.  I know the system and the leadership system is broken.  Pretend all they want - it ain't what a church is supposed to be.  I have family and friends in the church.  I wish they could see what church is really to be.

Haven't you heard? Everything is perfect here now! We have a new pastor! That was the substance of a fb post by a prominent college adminstrator's wife...everything is fine, we've weathered the storm. The bad people have left the church, and the good people who know how to get a hold of God by fasting and praying and having a positive spirit have stayed and gotten hold of God and we are on to our greatest days now!

Never mind the wounded souls strewn along the ground all over the place, she and the other 'good Christians' who know how to fast and pray and get a hold of God just ignore them and walk past them in the same way the priest and the Levite walked past the wounded bleeding man that the Samaritan took pity on....

This is so much of the attitude that needs to be banished.  Hammond Pride prevents the humbling necessary to learn from the reproofs God has dealt the church and thereby limits the ability to become devout worshipers of God.

So the young people need to be made to feel themselves to again be, as they are always told, the best young Christians in all the world.

Let me fill you in on something.  There may be some good kids there.  There were when I was growing up.  But, as a whole, they know they are not the best Christians in the nation.  When sex is commonplace, beer is drunk in the cafeteria, pot is smoked in the cars, steroids are used to enhance athletic performance, kids are bullied so badly they commit suicide and then the cool kids make fun of it on a youtube vid.......do I really need to continue?  They know it is a sham.

From the Q/A time, I was so happy for my family and friends there that they would have a pastor who would focus on the people and not the persona of the place.  Then again, Schaap said the same thing.

myeyesareopen said:
And, they've started a basketball evangelism team at HAC that will probably appear at churches near you...it's the start of a whole new era!

Oh!  I can't wait to go see the HACker Globe Changers!

Binaca Chugger said:
...you just might want to give the guy more than a week on the job before you make that determination. Just sayin'. Joe Boyd told me one time that a church takes on the characteristics of its pastor after about five years.

I don't know JW.  Never met him.  Heard him preach once, but I tuned out before the pandering to the local pastor was over.  From what everyone has said, I hope he will help the church become a church again.

I grew up in Hammond.  I know the system and the leadership system is broken.  Pretend all they want - it ain't what a church is supposed to be.  I have family and friends in the church.  I wish they could see what church is really to be.

This is so much of the attitude that needs to be banished.  Hammond Pride prevents the humbling necessary to learn from the reproofs God has dealt the church and thereby limits the ability to become devout worshipers of God.

So the young people need to be made to feel themselves to again be, as they are always told, the best young Christians in all the world.

Let me fill you in on something.  There may be some good kids there.  There were when I was growing up.  But, as a whole, they know they are not the best Christians in the nation.  When sex is commonplace, beer is drunk in the cafeteria, pot is smoked in the cars, steroids are used to enhance athletic performance, kids are bullied so badly they commit suicide and then the cool kids make fun of it on a youtube vid.......do I really need to continue?  They know it is a sham.

From the Q/A time, I was so happy for my family and friends there that they would have a pastor who would focus on the people and not the persona of the place.  Then again, Schaap said the same thing.

I have a relative who is also a close friend who was absolutely run over rough-shod  by js. This is after a long career at the fbch ministries. He was basically humiliated and forced to resign several years ago. He was cussed up and down and the most vile language was used by js in his presence and in the presence of a lot of remaining staff members who apparently saw nothing wrong with it. He recently received a letter from an assistant pastor saying that we have a new pastor now and would like for him to come back to fbch.

He said, "I have learned too much about the Bible and Christianity since leaving there to ever go back". He also asked about the remaining staff members who did nothing about schaap's language, temper tantrums, and general all around spoiled rotten and abusive attitude.

I hope that behavior will change.............I've listened to JW on you tube and he seems like a good man with a good heart!!

Binaca Chugger said:
Also:

When he was asked who he would have speak, these were not on his top list.  Maybe they just escaped his mind at the time, or, more probably, it was all scheduled and done before he got there.

Actually I would much rather have my children listen to Kurt Skelly (my kids love him) and Rick Finley, than the "pastors" that Pastor Wilkerson mentioned who he admired.

kaba said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Also:

Actually I would much rather have my children listen to Kurt Skelly (my kids love him) and Rick Finley, than the "pastors" that Pastor Wilkerson mentioned who he admired.

I did not see the Q & A. What preachers did Pastor Wilkerson say he admired?

Paul Chappell, RB Ouillette, Warren Johnson, Clarence Sexton, David Gibbs, Jack Trieber, Doug Fischer ( hopefully did not but probably did spell some incorrectly)

Binaca Chugger said:
ummmm.......

Didn't the new pastor say in his question and answer before being voted in that he had no desire to pastor the nation, or pastor pastors and that the primary concern would be to just care for the church and the people of the church?

So....... Apparently the people of the church need to be active thinking they have the answer for the world in order to grow themselves from the tragedy that has befallen them?

Actually, the church hosts the conference but it's put on by Hyles-Anderson college, and it doesn't serve as an opportunity to pastor anyone, it is an opportunity to influence young people for Christ and to invite them to come to HAC when they graduate from High School.  it accomplishes a lot more than that, but it's the one conference that no one ever said would be cancelled.  We are not in a position to hold a pastor's conference, that's not our business.  As a church with a Bible college though it would be foolish not to have a youth conference.  What I don't understand is why you would be so upset about there being a youth conference?  Are you against youth conferences?  help me understand that.

Actually, they reversed the decision for youth conference. Kind of glad, since my last memory of last year's conference was shaking Schaap's hand and spending some time chatting with him and Cindy that Wednesday evening.... Weird to think back on it.

qwerty said:
Actually, they reversed the decision for youth conference. Kind of glad, since my last memory of last year's conference was shaking Schaap's hand and spending some time chatting with him and Cindy that Wednesday evening.... Weird to think back on it.
...funny that you say this, I remember everything about that final evening of YC. I just remember thinking it VERY strange that JS would sit out the final sermon and let someone else take the platform. ...but as they say, the rest is history.

qwerty said:

I know what you mean.  That Thursday was the last time he spoke publicly.  I can still remember that worker's session vividly.  He spoke on making sure the teens know the pastor's vision.  He was supposed to close the conference that night but instead had Bro Baldwin preach.  When I found out a couple weeks later what had been happening I just remember the sermon Bro Baldwin preached that afternoon, "Where's Phineas?"  I'm glad for the boldness of a certain staff member to not hide what he found.  I miss bro Schaap, I'm very sorry that we as a church allowed what he did to go unnoticed as long as it did and I'm sorry that we didn't do something more to prevent it from happening.  I love him, always will, and will always appreciate the preaching he gave on faith, grace, loving the Bible, etc.  I'm glad we have a new pastor though, hopefully we'll take better care of him than we did of Schaap so that he doesn't fall into the trap of making excuses for something outlandishly immoral.