If hypocrisy were a crime...

If hypocrisy was a crime, would you be:

• totally innocent?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • innocent although often falsely accused?

• charged with a misdemeanor now and then?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • charged with a felony?

• guilty of the "three-strikes-you're-out" law? (life sentence)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • other (please explain)

• Total voters

Citadel of Truth

Elect
Reaction score
We've all read the threads here in the OBC Forum and are thoroughly disgusted with the glaring hypocrisy of those who are supposed to be loving, leading, and protecting the church members from spiritual danger. Sadly, the church needs protection from these very men. In short, these men are hypocrites in the worst degree. 

In considering this, I was somewhat convicted for the times in my life when I did not show a consistent Christian walk. During those times, I was definitely a hypocrite. Granted, I've never been in charge of a congregation like these men, but does that really matter when it comes to our walk with the Lord? Obviously it matters to those sitting under the hypocrite, but I am asking now about our personal spiritual condition. What if hypocrisy was a crime? 

I would say guilty of misdemeanors. I was a hypocrite and violated some standards that really were never mine.  I never fully agreed with women only wearing skirts although my wife and daughter only ever wore skirts.  We were told never to listen to the Christian music station, I did.  Anything but KJ V was wrong, I would look at other versions during a study for clarity. 

Tanner said:
I would say guilty of misdemeanors. I was a hypocrite and violated some standards that really were never mine.  I never fully agreed with women only wearing skirts although my wife and daughter only ever wore skirts.  We were told never to listen to the Christian music station, I did.  Anything but KJ V was wrong, I would look at other versions during a study for clarity.

I would consider this falsely accused. It is not hypocritical to go along with a standard higher than yours even if you do not agree...that's called deference*, which is a good thing unless you become a mindless robot.

Unfortunately, those who would demand the standards you mention above are often guilty of much weightier matters. One of which is making such standards a litmus test for spirituality.   

*For a good Bible example of deference, see Acts 16:1-3 

I think we would all be guilty of hypocrisy at some point in our lives. I believe the difference with many of the posters here and the accusations towards WHBC staff members, and Vineyards in particular is the practice.

We have all been hypocritical at different times and for different reasons in our lives, sometimes willfully and others ignorantly.

For some it happens occasionally throughout their lives and others it is a way of life.

How you handle hypocrisy when confronted with it is the big difference. Most people will realize they did wrong and work to correct it others will deny it and try to justify their actions while condemning others for the same thing.

However in God's eyes there are no degrees of sin and we are all guilty of something. There is no one sin that is worse than another, but redemption is good for all.

Since the wages of sin is death if we have committed hypocrisy we would all be felons because we would get the death penalty without being forgiven.

TruthBearer said:
For some it happens occasionally throughout their lives and others it is a way of life.

I agree with this. Everyone of us has the potential to be hypocritical at times or in certain situations. For others, the term "hypocrite" seems to define them.