If the SBC splits...

The BUS

Elect
Reaction score
What would be a good name for the dissenters?
If the liberal faction splits, what would be a good name for them?
If the conservative faction splits, what would be a good name for them?

The SBC splitting wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. It would probably be a great thing, especially in breaking away from the liberal factions in the convention. They're gaining ground every year. But, there's already a viable option in the SBC called the Conservative Baptist Network. I know many pastors who have gone to this and are ready to split if necessary.

Amos 3:3

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

If there is going to be contention between the two groups, then a break up might be the best course of action. I suspect it would roughly be an even split between the liberal wing and the traditional wing. The liberal wing is likely to continue to grow until they take over anyways. I suspect their numbers and influence will continue to grow until they make up a super majority of the SBC membership anyways.

The independent Baptist leaving the Southern Baptist convention in the !930, 1940 & 1950's is a similar situation. In that case it worked out for the best because the SBC in retrospect did not want to deal with the likes of John R Rice, J Frank Norris Carl McIntire, George Beauchamp Vick, Lee Roberson, Oliver B. Greene. The SBC continued to grow without the conflict with the separationists and the IFB movement saw explosive growth without the distraction of the SBC fight. In the end it was a win for both groups and the same would likely apply to the more recent division in the SBC.

Last edited: