By God?s Word at last my sin I learned;
Then I trembled at the law I?d spurned,
Till my guilty soul imploring turned
To Calvary.

Now I?ve giv?n to Jesus everything,
Now I gladly own Him as my King,
Now my raptured soul can only sing
Of Calvary!

Oh, the love that drew salvation?s plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
At Calvary!

sword, we have sung everyone of those songs in our Rick Warren, CCM lovin' hell-hole of a church just this year.  :)

sword said:
All Hail the Power of Jesus? Name!
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

1. All hail the pow?r of Jesus? Name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem,
And crown Him Lord of all!
<snip>

If this was sung in most modern (contemporary) churches this morning, I'd hazard a guess that 99.9% of those in the audience the congregation would have no clue as to what a diadem even is. I'd go so far as to say probably the "worship" leader wouldn't have a clue as well.

HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

If this was sung in most modern (contemporary) churches this morning, I'd hazard a guess that 99.9% of those in the audience the congregation would have no clue as to what a diadem even is. I'd go so far as to say probably the "worship" leader wouldn't have a clue as well.

For thy edification and learning.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/diadem/

Twisted said:
HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

Thanks, but I'm already familiar with what it is. :)

HeDied4U said:
Twisted said:
HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you, but those that needed it, like Smellin'.

HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

So?

Twisted said:
HeDied4U said:
Twisted said:
HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you, but those that needed it, like Smellin'.

Gotcha. :)

subllibrm said:
HeDied4U said:
sword said:
Edward Perronet,  (1780)

<snip>

So?

Just trying to say that a lot of folks wouldn't understand what they're singing about, assuming of course a hymn would be inserted into a rock concert.

A 30 second google search and they would be one word smarter than when they walked in the door.
diadem: a jeweled crown or headband worn as a symbol of sovereignty.

I like the old hymns, so that's the type of church I attend. Others don't, so they have plenty of other choices in my town. Not sure why gospel preaching churches have to fight so much among themselves.

To me the critical issue is, do they preach the gospel and do they have some type of evangelical outreach. I use the great commission as the litmus test, not type of music or service style. Many of the other issues are matters of preference left for each to decide. 

When it came to music Jack Hyles had real strict rules for IFB's to follow. He hated mainstream music and he hated CCM music even more. Comedian Tony Hutson still follows Hyle's opinion and when Dr. Hutson preaches he always takes shots at CCM music as well as megachurches even calling Perry Noble "A heathen from hell" which he's right because Noble is unqualified and had mainstream music playing at his church.

Didn't he have Grand Rapids Bible College tour group visit? If so, he certainly had CCM in his service.

FSSL said:
Didn't he have Grand Rapids Bible College tour group visit? If so, he certainly had CCM in his service.

I could be wrong but I think the chances Tony had a GRTS or GRBC tour group sing in his church are slim to none.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
When it came to music Jack Hyles had real strict rules for IFB's to follow. He hated mainstream music and he hated CCM music even more. Comedian Tony Hutson still follows Hyle's opinion and when Dr. Hutson preaches he always takes shots at CCM music as well as megachurches even calling Perry Noble "A heathen from hell" which he's right because Noble is unqualified and had mainstream music playing at his church.

Sorry to inform you but Jack Hyles passed away nearly 15 years ago. Just in case you didn't know

sword said:
I could be wrong but I think the chances Tony had a GRTS or GRBC tour group sing in his church are slim to none.

I meant Hyles. David Waite made this point in an ebook.

BALAAM said:
Sorry to inform you but Jack Hyles passed away nearly 15 years ago. Just in case you didn't know

:eek: :eek: :eek:

;D

FSSL said:
sword said:

I meant Hyles. David Waite made this point in an ebook.

Tony Hutson has a plaque of Hyles at his church and he still holds Hyles with high regard plus like Hyles, Hutson has a personal disdain for contemporary music and or emerging churches.

FSSL said:

Never heard of that school.

We used to have Grand Rapids Baptist Institute/College and Grand Rapids School of the Bible and Music (GRSBM pronounced grizboom or just griz). They have since merged to become Cornerstone College/University. There was also Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary which is now Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. I honestly can't see any of them, in any iteration, cozied up to Hyles.

Not saying it didn't happen but ...

subllibrm said:
FSSL said:

Never heard of that school.

We used to have Grand Rapids Baptist Institute/College and Grand Rapids School of the Bible and Music (GRSBM pronounced grizboom or just griz). They have since merged to become Cornerstone College/University. There was also Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary which is now Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. I honestly can't see any of them, in any iteration, cozied up to Hyles...............

He's a State fan, givem' a break

Hutson & Hammond may have agreed on CCM, but they had very strong disagreements about Southern Gospel Music. Tony was a fan, Hammond was not!

I see no problem with ministries / preachers / camps disagreeing on preferences. We are all suppose to be Independent Baptist. I disagree with my pastor, my friends, my children and even my wife on some preferences. Sometimes they "prefer" something a little different than I but were still family and friends..