IFB Church With Drums?

TonyHutsonComedian

Elect
Reaction score
Recently the great comedian/evangelist Tony Hutson preached at an IFB church with drums on the platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d78fef6ztmo

Mountain View Baptist Church

https://youtu.be/aXLoHVBEleQ
https://youtu.be/IUtSZB2EfS4

Psalms: 150
1 Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

He's wise enough to understand that drums don't rock.  Some of the most Spirit Filled music I have ever heard was at Mayfield Creek Baptist Church in Cunningham, KY.  They used drums, guitars, piano, and all other manner of instrumentation (it was a true Psalms 150 praise service.)  However, their music was Spiritual and not carnal.  I attended a Camp Meeting there one time with a few of our most legalistic members from the church where I was choir leader.  I walked in and was instantly in the Spirit singing great gospel hymns with praiseworthy accompaniment.  The people I was with looked mortified and didn't know if they were "allowed" to sing along when drums were being played.  Bro. Tony fits in well with the Mayfield Creek crowd and I don't think the proper use of drums bothers him.

cpizzle said:
He's wise enough to understand that drums don't rock.  Some of the most Spirit Filled music I have ever heard was at Mayfield Creek Baptist Church in Cunningham, KY.  They used drums, guitars, piano, and all other manner of instrumentation (it was a true Psalms 150 praise service.)  However, their music was Spiritual and not carnal.  I attended a Camp Meeting there one time with a few of our most legalistic members from the church where I was choir leader.  I walked in and was instantly in the Spirit singing great gospel hymns with praiseworthy accompaniment.  The people I was with looked mortified and didn't know if they were "allowed" to sing along when drums were being played.  Bro. Tony fits in well with the Mayfield Creek crowd and I don't think the proper use of drums bothers him.

Yes Bro.Tony is a little more open minded on some things that traditionalists (Like Jack Hyles) would not approve of. If the Pope (Hyles) were alive today what would he think ans would he put Mayfield Creek on his "Disdain" list with Pensacola & Bob Jones?

cpizzle said:

Many IFBs cut these verses out of their scriptures. They only keep verses with which they agree.

Psa 149:3  Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa 150:4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 

They don't believe in dancing in church.

cpizzle said:
I think I've been there!  Much of my wife's family comes from Cunningham KY or very near it.

16KJV11 said:
cpizzle said:
I think I've been there!  Much of my wife's family comes from Cunningham KY or very near it.

Well Glory! :)

interesting enough on Alvin Martinez' new record, it has drums and a soft rock/early 80's lite theme too it. Also features former White Heart members providing the instruments and backing vocals from Steve Green, Tony Hutson, and Caleb Garraway.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
features former White Heart members providing the instruments

Freedom was probably one of the better albums in CCM. May have to finally take a listen to Alvin......

May....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk