IHOPKC Founder Faces Misconduct Allegations, Leaders Say

Ransom

Stalker
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
A statement issued Saturday by three former IHOPKC leaders said the allegations involved sexual abuse by Bickle.

“A few days ago, we made the leadership team of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City (IHOPKC) aware of serious allegations spanning several decades concerning its founder, Mike Bickle,” the statement said, adding that they found “these allegations of clergy sexual abuse by Mike Bickle to be credible and long-standing.”

Source

Welp. I'm guessing the "prophets" didn't see this one coming.

I was not aware of his influence prior to you posting this. How did these folks come onto your radar?

Ironically, I was recently listening to a panel discussion on eschatology at Pipers church where I was listening to Sam Storms, a respected individual who strongly supported Bickle and IHOPKC publicly in 2019 when Bickle came under criticism for his theological leanings towards Charisma and association with (restoring) sexual deviants in the ministry.

And, to jump the shark completely, for some reason the IHOPKC name has me craving some pancakes this morning.

I was not aware of his influence prior to you posting this. How did these folks come onto your radar?

Part because I've got some Pentecostal and Charismatic friends, and part because when I'm online I read articles, social media, etc. of people like Justin Peters and Phil Johnson, who talk about Charismatic topics frequently. Reading about guys like Mick Bickle, not-the-university Bob Jones, or Todd Bentley appeals to my more skeptical side. To say nothing of reading MacArthur's books like Charismatic Chaos or Strange Fire.

Also, when the "Toronto Blessing" was burgeoning, apart from the eight months I was actually living in Toronto, I went to school only an hour down the freeway. Students of my age were always making trips to the Toronto Airport VIneyard and bringing back stories.

My experience with IFBs is that they tend to be more insular, but in the wider Evangelical world, the Charismatics unfortunately have more influence.

...appeals to my more skeptical side. T

You? Skeptic? No way. ;)
My experience with IFBs is that they tend to be more insular, but in the wider Evangelical world, the Charismatics unfortunately have more influence.

Very true, and though I don't really consider myself to be cut from that cloth of insularity, I concede that the impact of Pentecostals and such to Christendom is far greater than activity in my little pond. Having said that, I think I generally keep up reasonably well with some goings on in the broader evangelical world, but definitely don't peek into that corner that is closer to the charismatic scene. I think that sort of insularity is common to whatever theological stream a person swims in. That's mostly because, as you've noted about yourself, I'm a bit skeptical too and when I watched enough of the Ernest Angley and Benny Hinn types in my younger days I felt nauseated that they had a platform at all and turned away from giving them any of my energy. From a social science standpoint it is interesting to consider that so many people are so gullible to be taken in by the Elmer Gantrys, but even with that cynical view to that part of Christendom I think it interesting that there are are credible intellectuals (like Sam Storms) that have principled scruples regarding Charismatic beliefs.

Last edited:
A statement issued Saturday by three former IHOPKC leaders said the allegations involved sexual abuse by Bickle.​
“A few days ago, we made the leadership team of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City (IHOPKC) aware of serious allegations spanning several decades concerning its founder, Mike Bickle,” the statement said, adding that they found “these allegations of clergy sexual abuse by Mike Bickle to be credible and long-standing.”​

Welp. I'm guessing the "prophets" didn't see this one coming.

This does not surprise me. in 2006 I listened to a couple hours of this guy talking, and he claimed to have been transported into the throne room of God and had seen and heard God speak.

Sam Storms was the Theologian in Residence for Mike Bickle's Kansas City Prophet's Seminary (So to speak). And Storms is legitimate, as he was president of ETS for a a while.