I'm trying to update my Acer lab top

Sherryh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
it has Windows XP and I'm trying to download Windows 10 but its not available without buying. Any thoughts I can download Windows 8 .

It is not likely that windows 10 will run successfully on a computer designed with XP in mind.

Sorry.

bgwilkinson said:
It is not likely that windows 10 will run successfully on a computer designed with XP in mind.

Sorry.

I installed Windows 10 on this little, tiny PC and it works fine.  Slow, but fine.  (FYI, it's always been slow)

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1000HE-10-1-Inch-Black-Netbook/dp/B001QTXL82

Sherryh said:
it has Windows XP and I'm trying to download Windows 10 but its not available without buying. Any thoughts I can download Windows 8 .

You needed to do that back when they offered their Insider Program.  I did that for my laptop that had XP.

But it's too late now.

I know the free offer ended in July....sadly!!

Thank you for the help!!

Sherryl, I used to be a technical writer for Acer.

Laptops are far harder to upgrade than desktops, as the parts are more specific.  Windows 10 is designed as a 64-bit system, while Windows XP is designed as a 32-bit system. The free upgrade was designed for Windows 7 and 8.1. I was writing on two Windows 10 forums and noticed that Windows 7 laptops had more trouble with Windows 10 than any other type did.

The only real thing you would gain by upgrading to 10 (which  your machine probably cannot do) is access to the Windows Store, and you wouldn't be able to run most of the programs there anyway.

Your best course is to keep your anti-virus updated and stick with XP until you can buy another machine.

Thank you Vince!! That's what I'm doing 8)

Sherryh, I see that you are trying to update your Acer lab. You might try the chocolate lab, the yellow lab or the black lab. They are all good dogs and might be a good update for your Acer lab.

NKJV1982 said:
Sherryh, I see that you are trying to update your Acer lab. You might try the chocolate lab, the yellow lab or the black lab. They are all good dogs and might be a good update for your Acer lab.

The problem with Acer labs is that they need anti-virus shots like every other day.

LOL! I'm a Doberman kind of girl....But I do love dogs in general...great humor!!