Important question about clothes people wear

well..... not to get preachy or prudish here... but i was told by someone many of you know, that back in the day men were expected to remove their hats indoors and also when in the presence of ladies.. (something he still does to this day).. .. as well as being expected to observe many other common courtesies that were simply considered good manners back then.... and any man that failed to observe or practice those manners was considered to have had poor upbringing.....

fast forward to today when men wear their hats everywhere... indoors and out... regardless of who they are in the presence of ...and even when sitting down to a meal at a restaurant.... .. and it could make sense that kids nowdays - (who watch old movies from back in the day when those old customs were practiced - and have taken notice that not only is none of it is being done today.. but a kind of chronic rudeness has come into the general atmosphere to take it;s place)..... .. have started wearing hoodies everywhere they go.. dark glasses even at night....turning their hats around backwards... and not only doing a miriad of other things their elders find obnoxious but teaching their peers to do the same...

we use to buy a lot of surplus army clothing and other inexpensive wearables from an army-navy surplus store here in hawaii owned and operated by a vietnam veteran... . .he had a sign in front of his store that warned people to not even darken the door if they had their hat on backwards..their pants hanging off their backside... or were wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with an anti american or unpatriotic slogan..... this was long before 9-11 when patriotism became fashionable.... and he died before the wearing of hoodies everywhere became popular... or i am certain he would have included that too..... ...can you imagine someone trying to enforce rules like that in this day and age?..... it;s sad the things we lose when older generations pass away....
Can I say that on the "flipside" of the comments about men wearing their hats everywhere, that women used to wear hats to church, outings, to go to the store, to do about anything outside of the home....Not today. Ladies aren't ladies any longer. And they wonder why men don't respect them....I hate to say it, but, in a huge way the "ladies" have brought this attitude on themselves with their wanting everything to be "equal." Believe me, they were "equal" before when they ran the homes and taught the children. That's where they had their greatest influence. If that makes someone mad...well...that's too bad. Call me "old-fashioned." ;) ;;ducking to avoid flying objects!;;;

well..... not to get preachy or prudish here... but i was told by someone many of you know, that back in the day men were expected to remove their hats indoors and also when in the presence of ladies.. (something he still does to this day).. .. as well as being expected to observe many other common courtesies that were simply considered good manners back then.... and any man that failed to observe or practice those manners was considered to have had poor upbringing.....
True but just don't allow clothing like removing a hat or not, things like that we should consider it sin. It could be a sin of walking out of love if the greatest part of culture held to that custom and one shouldn't desire to want to provoke others intentionally. However much culture or most culture doesn't see the failing of doing these things is wrong. Immoral clothing styles however I'll get to in minute.

fast forward to today when men wear their hats everywhere... indoors and out... regardless of who they are in the presence of ...and even when sitting down to a meal at a restaurant.... .. and it could make sense that kids nowdays - (who watch old movies from back in the day when those old customs were practiced - and have taken notice that not only is none of it is being done today.. but a kind of chronic rudeness has come into the general atmosphere to take it;s place)..... ..
If one actually knows they're offending others it's best not to take one's liberty in doing so.
have started wearing hoodies everywhere they go.. dark glasses even at night....turning their hats around backwards... and not only doing a miriad of other things their elders find obnoxious but teaching their peers to do the same...
Actually I turn my hat around backwards in the summer (baseball cap) to keep the back of my neck from getting burned. :)
we use to buy a lot of surplus army clothing and other inexpensive wearables from an army-navy surplus store here in hawaii owned and operated by a vietnam veteran... . .he had a sign in front of his store that warned people to not even darken the door if they had their hat on backwards..their pants hanging off their backside...
I'll agree with you on the pants hanging off the backside. That can be considered as immoral and I don't have to say why.

...can you imagine someone trying to enforce rules like that in this day and age?..... it;s sad the things we lose when older generations pass away....
And there have been things that have ticked off people in every generation. The sixties saw bell bottom pants and tie dye shirts. In the decade of the 1920's there was different clothing styles which make people upset. They' weren't always immoral but just different. I remember the 1960s where the Beatles were thought of as long haired hippie's. John Lennon in later years did look straggly in his hair style but early 60's Beatles by today's standards they looked pretty normal. 1950s was basically short hair and brush cuts. I agree though sometimes older generations had stronger morals BUT I wouldn't always equate a different clothing style or hair style as something which shouldn't be.

when i saw your post i was wondering how i missed hearing that song when i was a teenager.... . but then i listened to it and realized why.. 😦 🤮 .. ..but other than being a horrible song it did at least predict something..... .. at the 0.37 second mark there is a guy standing against the wall in sunglasses and wearing a hoodie... ...there is a hat over the hoodie but it;s definitly all there.... .....sorry for dredging up what has to be a very un-nostalgic memory... ....and to think that guy was a contemporary of bands like journey and U2.... ..just proves talent is not contageous.... even if bad clothing trends are.....😕 ;)
I don't oft disagree with my friend Aleshanee, but on Cory Hart I must. The song below is one of my faves and I think uplifting and powerful for written at such a young age.

I respect this guy. It's worth a click

:-D

I don't oft disagree with my friend Aleshanee, but on Cory Hart I must. The song below is one of my faves and I think uplifting and powerful for written at such a young age.
The keyboard player for this song and album is from my hometown. I don't know him personally (he's 10 years older than me), but we have mutual friends and his older brother was one of my dad's co-workers.

He's got another brother who is big in Canadian jazz and blues and a sought-after session guitarist.

The keyboard player for this song and album is from my hometown. I don't know him personally (he's 10 years older than me), but we have mutual friends and his older brother was one of my dad's co-workers.

He's got another brother who is big in Canadian jazz and blues and a sought-after session guitarist.
Very Cool

Can I say that on the "flipside" of the comments about men wearing their hats everywhere, that women used to wear hats to church, outings, to go to the store, to do about anything outside of the home....Not today. Ladies aren't ladies any longer. And they wonder why men don't respect them....I hate to say it, but, in a huge way the "ladies" have brought this attitude on themselves with their wanting everything to be "equal." Believe me, they were "equal" before when they ran the homes and taught the children. That's where they had their greatest influence. If that makes someone mad...well...that's too bad. Call me "old-fashioned." ;) ;;ducking to avoid flying objects!;;;
you forgot to add - "and baked cookies..." ... to the part about .."ran the homes and taught the children... " .. ;) (jk).

i am not sure how wearing hats outside the house determined whether women were seen as ladies or not.... ..or how seeing women without hats prompted men to keep their hats on all the time both indoors and out... day and night.. ..... but then i;m not very familiar with mainland american culture - other than what i have been told about it by others.... ... the pacific island culture i was raised in is very different....

but that being said women in hawaii wear hats outside quite often... and for a wide variety of reasons.... i wear a hat whenever one is needed ...for things like sun protection etc....and i have a wide variety of different styles... .... but upon entering someone elses home the hats come off... and that applies to both men and women..... the shoes come off too.... both are a matter of showing respect to the owner and resident of the house....

but the removing of shoes practice also has another reason... and that is keeping the filth and grime of the streets and sidewalks off the floor of a residence - especially one in which small children are likely to be playing on the floor..... ... people in hawaii don;t even wear shoes into their own houses... ..all foot wear stays at the door.... .

however... shoes are not removed to go into public buildings... and generally hats are not either.. unless there is a reason to... such as sitting down in a restaurant or church.. courtroom - etc....

but back to the reason i posted my theory in the first place on why young people are wearing hoodies over their heads with dark glasses everywhere they go... .. and that;s really all it is.... just a theory.... if there was a reason that it originally started - most of them probably don;t even know what that was... they just do it because everybody else does.....

Last edited:
True but just don't allow clothing like removing a hat or not, things like that we should consider it sin. It could be a sin of walking out of love if the greatest part of culture held to that custom and one shouldn't desire to want to provoke others intentionally. However much culture or most culture doesn't see the failing of doing these things is wrong. Immoral clothing styles however I'll get to in minute.

If one actually knows they're offending others it's best not to take one's liberty in doing so.

Actually I turn my hat around backwards in the summer (baseball cap) to keep the back of my neck from getting burned. :)

I'll agree with you on the pants hanging off the backside. That can be considered as immoral and I don't have to say why.

And there have been things that have ticked off people in every generation. The sixties saw bell bottom pants and tie dye shirts. In the decade of the 1920's there was different clothing styles which make people upset. They' weren't always immoral but just different. I remember the 1960s where the Beatles were thought of as long haired hippie's. John Lennon in later years did look straggly in his hair style but early 60's Beatles by today's standards they looked pretty normal. 1950s was basically short hair and brush cuts. I agree though sometimes older generations had stronger morals BUT I wouldn't always equate a different clothing style or hair style as something which shouldn't be.
like i said to average joe.... some manners and practices with regards to hats and shoes in hawaii are a matter of showing respect at appropriate times and places - rather than being rude.... at other times it;s a matter of sanitation.... ... ... but i wouldn;t consider any deviance from those customs a sin or immoral in every case.... nor would i consider any of the variations and differences between what is expected on the mainland vrs what is considered normal on this island a sin or immoral....

i would go so far as to say that not even wearing of ones pants hanging off their backside should be considered a sin or immoral....a serious lack of class for certain.... on the positive side it can indicate at a single glance who should and should not be invited into your house to sit down.... or who should not be given a ride in a your car.... (unless there is a leak proof dog blanket in the back seat.... )

styles of clothing and ways of managing hair have changed from generation to generation throughout history..... ... but it;s my belief that one thing should never change... . and that;s the willingness to show respect at proper times... and also being capable of understanding the reasons for why it is important...... ...snowflake syndrome aside - we live in a culture of extreme rudeness.... and one where even the snowflakes who cry foul at every scrape whether intentional or not, are they themselves amongst the rudest of all when it comes to how they treat others....

like i said to average joe.... some manners and practices with regards to hats and shoes in hawaii are a matter of showing respect at appropriate times and places - rather than being rude.... at other times it;s a matter of sanitation.... ... ... but i wouldn;t consider any deviance from those customs a sin or immoral in every case.... nor would i consider any of the variations and differences between what is expected on the mainland vrs what is considered normal on this island a sin or immoral....

i would go so far as to say that not even wearing of ones pants hanging off their backside should be considered a sin or immoral....a serious lack of class for certain.... on the positive side it can indicate at a single glance who should and should not be invited into your house to sit down.... or who should not be given a ride in a your car.... (unless there is a leak proof dog blanket in the back seat.... )

styles of clothing and ways of managing hair have changed from generation to generation throughout history..... ... but it;s my belief that one thing should never change... . and that;s the willingness to show respect at proper times... and also being capable of understanding the reasons for why it is important...... ...snowflake syndrome aside - we live in a culture of extreme rudeness.... and one where even the snowflakes who cry foul at every scrape whether intentional or not, are they themselves amongst the rudest of all when it comes to how they treat others....
Extremely well said and not sure anything more needs to be added.

We'll dangit Aleshanee done gone and made me agree with her again. :-D

Well, that's so they can watch you live and breathe your story lines.

(edit) LAYMAN's video's blocked for me. It actually is "Sunglasses at Night," isn't it? *sigh*
And forget their name while you collect your pay.