In Defense of Rapture Theology.

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
I can't watch videos because of limited bandwidth and time...

So... here is a passage of Scripture (more to come) that should springboard this discussion (please don't support by video... too long and promotes deceptive discussion (ala UGC)

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed."

The rapture movies do a disservice to this theology. They show people busting out of their graves, ascending into the sky. The Bible teaches that the Rapture happens so fast that it is not visible.

How do those, who reject the Rapture Theology, handle this passage?

I can't watch videos because of limited bandwidth and time...

So... here is a passage of Scripture (more to come) that should springboard this discussion (please don't support by video... too long and promotes deceptive discussion (ala UGC)

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed."

The rapture movies do a disservice to this theology. They show people busting out of their graves, ascending into the sky. The Bible teaches that the Rapture happens so fast that it is not visible.

How do those, who reject the Rapture Theology, handle this passage?

What about the Resurrection?

The "rapture" involves very late dispensational nonsense.

Yes. Jesus will return. Yes. We will rise to meet Him in the air..... and "so shall we ever be with the Lord"....

This has nothing to do with some dispensational last days theology.

What about the Resurrection?

The "rapture" involves very late dispensational nonsense.

Yes. Jesus will return. Yes. We will rise to meet Him in the air..... and "so shall we ever be with the Lord"....

This has nothing to do with some dispensational last days theology.

Ignore the timing... what does "meet Him in the air" mean?
The word RAPTURE is a latin translation from the Greek word "caught up with"

Ignore the timing... what does "meet Him in the air" mean?
The word RAPTURE is a latin translation from the Greek word "caught up with"

You're the one taking "meet Him in the air" and turning it an event other than the Resurrection of the Just.

Dispenationalism will mess with your mind. The orginator took what he thought was a special word in "Dispensation" and formed a systematic theology. The same took what he considered a special word concerning the Resurrection and turned it into a separate event. There is nothing special about the Greek source that would demand it be treated a separate event.

I'm just taking the scripture at face-value in its normal sense... "being caught up in the air" is a rapture.

I'm just taking the scripture at face-value in its normal sense... "being caught up in the air" is a rapture.

The source is found at least 46 times throughout the Greek Scriptures and means "snatching away/up". It is a "forceful taking".

There is nothing unique about its meaning to indicate it is anything different than the Resurrection of the Just.

Yet, that is the exactly the argument you're making. Being "caught up" is somehow something "special" insomuch that can't possibly equal the Resurrection of the Just.

The source is found at least 46 times throughout the Greek Scriptures and means "snatching away/up". It is a "forceful taking". There is nothing unique about its meaning to indicate it is anything different than the Resurrection of the Just. Yet, that is the exactly the argument you're making. Being "caught up" is somehow something "special" insomuch that can't possibly equal the Resurrection of the Just.

After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Th 4:17.

Words have meanings related to their context. What other meaning, than rapture, can you see in 1 Thess 4:17?

The righteous dead will certainly be resurrected... right before the righteous living.

After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Th 4:17.

Words have meanings related to their context. What other meaning, than rapture, can you see in 1 Thess 4:17?

The righteous dead will certainly be resurrected... right before the righteous living.

What "other meaning"?

How about Resurrection?

'The Rapture" is a late doctrinal teaching promoted based on a extremely flawed understanding of the Scriptures called "Pre-Millennial Dispensationalism".

The teaching of the Resurrection of the Just has been a part of the faithful since the very beginning.

I have no problem understanding "will be caught up together with them in the clouds" as being a rapture.
You think it is a late doctrinal teaching... I just call it a plain reading of the text.

I have no problem understanding "will be caught up together with them in the clouds" as being a rapture.
You think it is a late doctrinal teaching... I just call it a plain reading of the text.

I have no problem with the word "Rapture".

However, you know that word is associated with a particular teaching. I reject that particular teaching.

I prefer to call the Resurrection of the Just, the Resurrection of the Just. Whether alive with Christ,....or Alive and remaining.... We shall all be "caught up/snatched away" to meet our Lord.

I have no problem with the word "Rapture".

Well... we have done a 360. Remember, I made this point above, "Ignore the timing... what does "meet Him in the air" mean? The word RAPTURE is a latin translation from the Greek word "caught up with"

You took umbrage with that.

Well... we have done a 360. Remember, I made this point above, "Ignore the timing... what does "meet Him in the air" mean? The word RAPTURE is a latin translation from the Greek word "caught up with"

You took umbrage with that.

You misunderstood me. I take "umbrage" with your application of it.

You KNOW that when someone uses the word "rapture" it carries the connotation of the dispensational teaching concerning it.

The word "rapture" shouldn't be part of the translation because it "injects" the doctrine into the Scripture.

Paul's words are concerning the Resurrection of the Just. Not the late dispensational teaching of the "rapture".

Do you want to translate "snatching away" as "rapture" in the English Scriptures?

Do you want to translate "snatching away" as "rapture" in the English Scriptures?

English has plenty of Latin loanwords. I am good with the current translations. They don't use the word Trinity, either. "Baptism" made it in the English versions EVEN when there are various views of Baptism.

English has plenty of Latin loanwords. I am good with the current translations. They don't use the word Trinity, either. "Baptism" made it in the English versions EVEN when there are various views of Baptism.

There are substantial differences in your examples. Baptism has been around for very long time and is an accurate translation from Greek. I don't even argue for immersion anymore. While "Trinity" lags somewhat behind Baptism, it has a much longer tradition than the use of the word "rapture".

"snatching away" has a different relationship than either example you've given. Someone decided it was a "special" application in Paul's writings and decided to inject their doctrine into the Scriptures.