Individual Soul Liberty

Billy

Elect
Reaction score
Back in the old days this was a commonly accepted principle of Baptist churches.

Why do the present crop of Independent Baptist reject Individual Soul Liberty?  Is it really about controlling the flock?

Thanks,

Billy

Billy said:
Back in the old days this was a commonly accepted principle of Baptist churches.

Why do the present crop of Independent Baptist reject Individual Soul Liberty?  Is it really about controlling the flock?

Thanks,

Billy

Do you have any examples of this?

B      Biblical Authority
A      Autonomy of the Local Church
P      Priesthood of the Believer
T      Two Ordinances
I        Individual Soul Liberty
S        Saved Church Membership
T      Two Officers
S        Separation of Church and State

Definition: Every individual, whether a believer or an unbeliever, has the liberty to choose what he believes is right in the religious realm. No one should be forced to assent to any belief against his will. Baptists have always opposed religious persecution. However, this liberty does not exempt one from responsibility to the Word of God or from accountability to God Himself.
Romans 14:5, 12; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Titus 1:9

Thanks,

Billy

Billy said:
B      Biblical Authority
A      Autonomy of the Local Church
P      Priesthood of the Believer
T      Two Ordinances
I        Individual Soul Liberty
S        Saved Church Membership
T      Two Officers
S        Separation of Church and State

Definition: Every individual, whether a believer or an unbeliever, has the liberty to choose what he believes is right in the religious realm. No one should be forced to assent to any belief against his will. Baptists have always opposed religious persecution. However, this liberty does not exempt one from responsibility to the Word of God or from accountability to God Himself.
Romans 14:5, 12; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Titus 1:9

Thanks,

Billy

I didn't ask for a definition, I asked for an example, i.e. "Pastor Jones of Faith Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas doesn't allow the Smith family to watch TV in their own home."

Billy said:

Thanks,

Billy

Do you think soul liberty applies to belief or practice or both?
Can you believe anyway you want?
Can you live anyway you want?

The RCC style leadership, of the far afield IFB, is the root cause for the disparity between spelled out beliefs and practice.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Citadel of Truth said:
Billy said:

Thanks,

Billy

Do you think soul liberty applies to belief or practice or both?
Can you believe anyway you want?
Can you live anyway you want?

Well, beliefs drive practice, so soul liberty refers to both.

You have the right to believe what you want to; if you have a leadership position in your church, and your beliefs are contrary to the church, you should resign your position.  If you wish to attend a church that believes differently than you, that is your choice.

You CAN live how you wish, but you SHOULD live to please God according to what is written in His Word.  Naturally, people will differ on that.