Interesting thing said last night....

Techmedic

Elect
Reaction score
Pastor Wilkerson made a (from what I have read here) a bold statement last night.... I can't remember it verbatim so I'll paraphrase...
"I'm not trying to fill Dr. Hyles or Bro. Schaaps shoes those are some big shoes to fill... However I think it's time to nail their shoes up on the wall and let me fill my own"

I really liked that... IMO it was like saying time to move on and I am here now.

Ugh and Gibbs as guest speaker... I was not impressed with him.... Funny the last 3 times I was at FBCH
1. Jacks infamous (and final sermon) "What your parents don't know" (or as I call it his full confession)
2. Gibbs "Jack has been fired"
3. Gibbs again

Techmedic said:
Pastor Wilkerson made a (from what I have read here) a bold statement last night.... I can't remember it verbatim so I'll paraphrase...
"I'm not trying to fill Dr. Hyles or Bro. Schaaps shoes those are some big shoes to fill... However I think it's time to nail their shoes up on the wall and let me fill my own"

I really liked that... IMO it was like saying time to move on and I am here now.

Ugh and Gibbs as guest speaker... I was not impressed with him.... Funny the last 3 times I was at FBCH
1. Jacks infamous (and final sermon) "What your parents don't know" (or as I call it his full confession)
3. Gibbs again
You visit there too much

Techmedic said:

3. Gibbs again

What about Jesus?

Techmedic said:

I can understand the "Dr. Hyles' big shoes" statement, but Schaap?  Give me a break.

Well, I don't know any of these people personally, so I could certainly be wrong, but it occurs to me that Pastor Wilkerson was simply being gracious while making a point:  he doesn't intend to simply continue past practices.  He has his own ideas and intends to guide the church forward in a new direction.   

As for those shoes being nailed to the wall, somehow I doubt he meant that those shoes would be enshrined.  I imagine he meant that no one would be wearing those particular shoes ever again.  It's awfully hard to wear shoes that are nailed to a wall.  ;)     

I confess to not being able to completely recall what was said...but I recall that the point was that Pastor Wilkerson was grateful to David Gibbs, Jr. for making a comment that really helped him. The context was that he had David Gibbs, Jr. as a guest to preach both services this past Sunday at FBC Hammond. The emphasis in July here is "friends" and Pastor Wilkerson considers David Gibbs, Jr. to be not only a great friend to him personally, but he wanted to celebrate the long friendship David Gibbs, Jr. has demonstrated to FBC Hammond.

Pastor Wilkerson was recounting his feelings when he first took over at FBC Long Beach, he said the church was really in shreds (my words, as I said I cannot recall the exact words he used) and he didn't know how he was going to step in in the wake of the "great men" (those were his words) that had gone before him. David Gibbs, Jr. made it a point to him that he needn't try to be those men, he needed to be himself.

Pastor Wilkerson then fast-forwarded to a comment someone had made to him. He said someone told him he had some very big shoes to fill at FBC Hammond (Hyles, Schaap) and Pastor Wilkerson was reminded of the advice David Gibbs, Jr. had given him long ago when in a similar situation: Just be yourself.

I actually didn't hear the "nail them to the wall" remark regarding the shoes.

After that, Pastor Wilkerson encouraged the church to give David Gibbs, Jr. the "FBC welcome" which meant he was given a standing ovation...and then a maudlin story that passed as a sermon was told and the people were greatly moved.

RAIDER said:
I can understand the "Dr. Hyles' big shoes" statement, but Schaap?  Give me a break.

Raider, king of HACkers, let me say this with all due respect,...

I don't know if you realize how much the Schaap debacle has affected the locals with their opinion of Bro Hyles. Comments made in deacons meetings by the older deacons when the news was first getting out about Schaap, "we are not covering up for another one". Bro Hyles had won quite a bit of credibility on has last decade or so. But the whole Schaap thing pealed back the layers all the way back to Hyles. More and more bits and pieces come out and I can no longer give him the benefit of the doubt anymore. For quite a while I tried to defend Schaap against the radio guy from Florida (I can't remember his name anymore) but it got to the point in his last couple years that I could no longer defend his behavior and statements. Now I recoil at statements about Bro Hyles, and Facebook quotes from his sermons, I'm just left shaking my head. Throwing out the baby with the bath water like you asked in an earlier post? We find ourselves in a weird position that sometimes folks that don't live here don't really realize.

Bravo said:
RAIDER said:

Now I recoil at statements about Bro Hyles, and Facebook quotes from his sermons, I'm just left shaking my head. Throwing out the baby with the bath water like you asked in an earlier post? We find ourselves in a weird position the sometimes folks that don't live here really realize.

Bravo, does it seem to you there is a real effort to mention Bro. Hyles more and more? It seems so to me...my SS teacher quotes him in every class, guest SS teacher quoted him, Pastor W quotes him...assistant pastors and others quote him in announcement or welcome or prayer time...just the other day I logged onto Facebook to find I'd been added to a group called "Proud To Have Been A Student of Church Member of Dr. Jack Hyles" (I left the group...how did that even happen that I was added without ever requesting to be added?)...

I, too, cringe. I don't know if I should automatically, but it is my knee-jerk reaction.

Bravo said:
RAIDER said:

I don't know if you realize how much the Schaap debacle has affected the locals with their opinion of Bro Hyles. Comments made in deacons meetings by the older deacons when the news was first getting out about Schaap, "we are not covering up for another one". Bro Hyles had won quite a bit of credibility on has last decade or so. But the whole Schaap thing pealed back the layers all the way back to Hyles. More and more bits and pieces come out and I can no longer give him the benefit of the doubt anymore. For quite a while I tried to defend Schaap against the radio guy from Florida (I can't remember his name anymore) but it got to the point in his last couple years that I could no longer defend his behavior and statements. Now I recoil at statements about Bro Hyles, and Facebook quotes from his sermons, I'm just left shaking my head. Throwing out the baby with the bath water like you asked in an earlier post? We find ourselves in a weird position the sometimes folks that don't live here really realize.

If you read through Bro. Hyles Hammond Baptist Pulpit sermon books you will really recoil at sermons such as "Satan's bid for your child". He used vile books that were used in the public schools, Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, etc, as his texts instead of the Bible. He read verbatim some of the most vile things imaginable.

It's right there in black and white cursing God and taking His name in vain.

I was going to do some posts on it, but it was just to filthy to post. It made me sick reliving all those sermons that people thought were so great.

How could we have sat there in the pews and let him read that stuff out loud in church?

It is no wonder we let Schaap do his shaft sermon, we were conditioned by Bro. Hyles to not be surprised at vulgarity from the pulpit in the name of the LORD.

I think we were a cult for sure, I hope we are coming out of it now.

Bravo said:
RAIDER said:

I don't know if you realize how much the Schaap debacle has affected the locals with their opinion of Bro Hyles. Comments made in deacons meetings by the older deacons when the news was first getting out about Schaap, "we are not covering up for another one". Bro Hyles had won quite a bit of credibility on has last decade or so. But the whole Schaap thing pealed back the layers all the way back to Hyles. More and more bits and pieces come out and I can no longer give him the benefit of the doubt anymore. For quite a while I tried to defend Schaap against the radio guy from Florida (I can't remember his name anymore) but it got to the point in his last couple years that I could no longer defend his behavior and statements. Now I recoil at statements about Bro Hyles, and Facebook quotes from his sermons, I'm just left shaking my head. Throwing out the baby with the bath water like you asked in an earlier post? We find ourselves in a weird position the sometimes folks that don't live here really realize.

I can back you up on that. Several have said they lost their last two pastors when Bro. Schaap decided to commit adultery with the young lady.  Bro. Schaap and Bro. Hyles.

Schaap was an obvious dweeb but Bro. Hyles was never who he pretended to be either.

Yes we are sick of lying and covering up. It is all so clear now.

I have thought we need to do some type of church wide repentance.

If my people....

Brain is Engaged- I don't know. It is not mention in my SS class like that. Maybe people are trying to reach back to a level of credibility that "we" once had? Or to reach back to the good old days. The bragging on Bro Hyles during Schaap's first 5 years was getting to be a bit much. And I was a fan at the time certainly caught up in the grief of our recently deceased pastor.

BG Wilkinson - I keep thinking people like Eddie need to go. Some of the Senior staff maybe as well. I do know that unlike smaller churches the staff here didn't always work closely, kind of ran their part of the ministry. So I know they weren't all close or around each other all the time. Maybe a total restructure of the deacon board is in order too. Some of their records aren't all that clear either,...

RAIDER said:
Techmedic said:

Could he have been referring to JS's running shoes?  With DeCoster's help, they served JS well for about a week, I understand.

Well, at least you all have the "something to think about" guy on the radio to keep everything on the straight and narrow. ;D

BALAAM said:
Well, at least you all have the "something to think about" guy on the radio to keep everything on the straight and narrow. ;D

Forgive my ignorance, but this reference escapes me.

Bravo said:
RAIDER said:

I don't know if you realize how much the Schaap debacle has affected the locals with their opinion of Bro Hyles. Comments made in deacons meetings by the older deacons when the news was first getting out about Schaap, "we are not covering up for another one". Bro Hyles had won quite a bit of credibility on has last decade or so. But the whole Schaap thing pealed back the layers all the way back to Hyles. More and more bits and pieces come out and I can no longer give him the benefit of the doubt anymore. For quite a while I tried to defend Schaap against the radio guy from Florida (I can't remember his name anymore) but it got to the point in his last couple years that I could no longer defend his behavior and statements. Now I recoil at statements about Bro Hyles, and Facebook quotes from his sermons, I'm just left shaking my head. Throwing out the baby with the bath water like you asked in an earlier post? We find ourselves in a weird position that sometimes folks that don't live here don't really realize.

Bravo, King of Rackers, I believe the Schaap situation has made us all look back and reevaluate some of our thoughts and opinions of FBCH. 

Many of us attended HAC/FBCH for four years.  We have stayed in touch through Pastor's School, Christian Womanhood Spectacular, and Youth Conference.  We have sent students to HAC.  We have visited FBCH when in the area.  You are correct when you say that those of you who live in the area and attend FBCH are in a far different position than us.  I don't know what you folks are going through.

Many of us saw Schaap going wacky several years before his fall.  Now, don't get me wrong, none of us thought he would commit the crime that he did.  We noticed the heresy in his teaching and preaching.  We noticed his arrogance.  We noticed his "odd" thinking.  We watched as he spent money like water.  We wondered why SOMEBODY on staff or on the deacon board didn't stand up and throw a fit.

When it comes to Dr. Hyles many of us have a different story.  While we may have heard a sermon where a verse was taken out of context, but we never looked at him as a heretic.  We heard preaching that spoke to our heart.  We watched FBCH grow.  We watched HAC grow.  Our lives were changed.  We saw students graduate and go into full time Christian service.  We felt that Dr. Hyles genuinely cared for us.

Most of us were not there during the "scandal years".  We read the accusations.  We heard the defense.  Maybe we were ignorant, but we stood with Dr. Hyles.  Many of us did this not because of "blind loyalty", but because of the lack of a "smoking gun" and giving him the benefit of the doubt.  We watched Dr. Hyles come through this time period and keep on going.

As I mentioned earlier, the Schaap situation has made us look back and reevaluate some of our thoughts and opinions.  There was a time that I did not believe Dr. Hyles knew about many of Dave's episodes.  I no longer believe this.  Why he did not deal with these issues is for all of us to guess.  I believe this hurt his ministry more than any other item.  I still don't know where I fully stand on the Nischik situation.  This is where I don't believe there was a "smoking gun".  I know each of us have our thoughts and opinions.

Bravo, all of that to say this - I believe Schaap was pegged as a "phony" by many from day one.  IMO, Dr. Hyles was much more real and genuine.  Maybe that is why we look at the two of them differently.

When I started the thread about not throwing out the baby with the bath water I was referring to not giving up our standards, convictions, and living for the Lord just because leadership at FBCH has failed us.  I wasn't referring to standing up for personalities.       

RAIDER said:
  This is where I don't believe there was a "smoking gun".  I know each of us have our thoughts and opinions.

That's because it was hidden behind the door that did not exist. :)

COMEBOLDLY.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
  This is where I don't believe there was a "smoking gun".  I know each of us have our thoughts and opinions.

That's because it was hidden behind the door that did not exist. :)

COMEBOLDLY.jpg

But the door did not work and there was shelving on the other side.  :)

RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
RAIDER said:

Bravo, King of Rackers, I believe the Schaap situation has made us all look back and reevaluate some of our thoughts and opinions of FBCH. 

Many of us attended HAC/FBCH for four years.  We have stayed in touch through Pastor's School, Christian Womanhood Spectacular, and Youth Conference.  We have sent students to HAC.  We have visited FBCH when in the area.  You are correct when you say that those of you who live in the area and attend FBCH are in a far different position than us.  I don't know what you folks are going through.

Many of us saw Schaap going wacky several years before his fall.  Now, don't get me wrong, none of us thought he would commit the crime that he did.  We noticed the heresy in his teaching and preaching.  We noticed his arrogance.  We noticed his "odd" thinking.  We watched as he spent money like water.  We wondered why SOMEBODY on staff or on the deacon board didn't stand up and throw a fit.

When it comes to Dr. Hyles many of us have a different story.  While we may have heard a sermon where a verse was taken out of context, but we never looked at him as a heretic.  We heard preaching that spoke to our heart.  We watched FBCH grow.  We watched HAC grow.  Our lives were changed.  We saw students graduate and go into full time Christian service.  We felt that Dr. Hyles genuinely cared for us.

Most of us were not there during the "scandal years".  We read the accusations.  We heard the defense.  Maybe we were ignorant, but we stood with Dr. Hyles.  Many of us did this not because of "blind loyalty", but because of the lack of a "smoking gun" and giving him the benefit of the doubt.  We watched Dr. Hyles come through this time period and keep on going.

As I mentioned earlier, the Schaap situation has made us look back and reevaluate some of our thoughts and opinions.  There was a time that I did not believe Dr. Hyles knew about many of Dave's episodes.  I no longer believe this.  Why he did not deal with these issues is for all of us to guess.  I believe this hurt his ministry more than any other item.  I still don't know where I fully stand on the Nischik situation.  This is where I don't believe there was a "smoking gun".  I know each of us have our thoughts and opinions.

Bravo, all of that to say this - I believe Schaap was pegged as a "phony" by many from day one.  IMO, Dr. Hyles was much more real and genuine.  Maybe that is why we look at the two of them differently.

When I started the thread about not throwing out the baby with the bath water I was referring to not giving up our standards, convictions, and living for the Lord just because leadership at FBCH has failed us.  I wasn't referring to standing up for personalities.     

I also wonder how much of the distance being put between FBCH and Hyles was because as Schaap would say, the "mantle" was passed on to him during Hyles last moments.  Maybe they think it was his fault that Schaap was in power?  Either way they are mistaken, there was no passing of the mantle, and out of 2945 votes, 2826 voted yes to make Schaap their pastor.