Is IFB a cult?

as someone who was saved through the bus ministry of an ifb church - all i can say is excellent post gringo... .. thank you for saying that.....(y)
Aleshanee, as a former "Bus Captain" this is very encouraging to me! I shudder to think of all the damage I may have done due to so much bad theology and bad orthopraxy I had learned from the IFB but I sincerely wanted to make a difference in young kids lives and I literally poured my heart and soul into it! Hopefully, I will get to meet a few in Heaven who will say "Thank you 'Brother Ray' for running that bus!"

Aleshanee, as a former "Bus Captain" this is very encouraging to me! I shudder to think of all the damage I may have done due to so much bad theology and bad orthopraxy I had learned from the IFB but I sincerely wanted to make a difference in young kids lives and I literally poured my heart and soul into it! Hopefully, I will get to meet a few in Heaven who will say "Thank you 'Brother Ray' for running that bus!"
That's why we can never take credit for anything we do for the Lord. Nothing happens apart from His Spirit.

I was born and raised at FBC Hammond, went to the school, HAC, etc. My family was there from my Great grandparents on.....4 generations until we left. We went to another IFB church in the area until it got to be nothing but FBC lite, then went to a non denominational but baptistic church. Completely non denominational now...don't even think of myself as a "Christian" but as a "Christ follower." I could give example after example, both that we experienced in the movement itself but also with family members in the movement..... bottom line, at this point now, do you think the IFB movement is a cult itself? Or is it just certain IFB leaders that have grown their own local cult?
Legalistic churches, IFB and Hyles Anderson are definitely cults in the broadest sense of the word. The typical MO of these groups is to criticize and control. Avoid at all costs.

That is a really odd list. See response:
1. KJO does not a cult make. It may become heretical in some churches (only saved by KJV), but a little heresy isn't a cult, it is incorrect teaching.
2. Nowhere near Amish standards. They only want women in dresses and not low cut tops. Plenty of very modern attire. Much of the modern dresses are, however, very flattering to form. Wearing a dress doesn't promote rape - that is just weird.
3. I have been in most of the dominant IFB churches over the past 40 years. I have never heard anyone wish to ban holidays.
4. Bill Gothard? Not really w ho I think of with IFB, but, whatever.
5. yeah, agreed.
6. Scofield as authoritarian text? I could see if you put the teachings of Hyles, Rice, etc. Most IFB have no commentaries other than sermon tapes from JH and don't read any other writers.
You my friend are very misguided.
All the people and groups you mentioned above are hard core cults that are extremely corrupt. I had to contact the FBI to one of those IFB churches to quit contacting and harassing me.

You my friend are very misguided.
All the people and groups you mentioned above are hard core cults that are extremely corrupt. I had to contact the FBI to one of those IFB churches to quit contacting and harassing me.
I have no clue as to your experience... But all of my responses are accurate to my experience.

I once met a man that was truly legitimately converted after watching "The PTL Club" featuring Jim and Tammy Baker. Whenever sin, the death of Christ and the resurrection are presented to an individual the Holy Spirit can work in any way He wants. On this forum the abuses of the past are remembered but God has worked in powerful ways (all true conversions are a result of God's power) despite the abuse and craziness. I once read a C. S. Lewis quote that said (not exact quote), "Sometimes God works in ways I don't agree with."

I once met a man that was truly legitimately converted after watching "The PTL Club" featuring Jim and Tammy Baker. Whenever sin, the death of Christ and the resurrection are presented to an individual the Holy Spirit can work in any way He wants. On this forum the abuses of the past are remembered but God has worked in powerful ways (all true conversions are a result of God's power) despite the abuse and craziness. I once read a C. S. Lewis quote that said (not exact quote), "Sometimes God works in ways I don't agree with."
As you already know, the Lord can work through any person, place, translation of the Bible, or situation. I know many people who came to know the Lord under the ministry of Jack Hyles, Billy Graham, Jim and Tammy Baker, TBN, Chic tracts, etc. I know many who came to the Lord using Good News For Modern Man, NIV, and even the Hippie Bible. Thank the Lord that man has NOTHING to do with our coming to Christ except for the sharing of the message of Christ!