Is it ever okay?

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Tom, I have a question for you and anyone else who'd like to weigh in.

Besides for the obvious like doctrine and immortality, embezzlement you know the obvious.

Is it ever okay to ask a pastor a pastor to step down?

Now I know there are a million scenarios but that is my question.

Immortality may make him over-qualufied. ;)

patriotic said:
Immortality may make him over-qualufied. ;)

LOL! Oops, I blame spell check for that one.

:)

Bruh said:

Besides for the obvious like doctrine and immortality, embezzlement you know the obvious.

I will answer yes b/c as you rightly point out there are a million scenarios, and I would not want to create a blanket assertion that the only reason a congregation dare ask a pastor to resign would be over moral/doctrinal implosion.

There are any number of reasons a man should stop pastoring a church. For example, if his marriage is crumbling he should resign before the church totally kills his marriage. If he experiences a dramatic or even a slow but severe decline in health he should resign before he kills the church. As he gets older he should realize his strengths and weaknesses shift, and that at some point while he still has energy/vision he needs to create a transition to a younger man. There are obviously many more of these.

The problem for the congregation comes in when the pastor in question refuses to recognize the truths of the previous paragraph. He should, and he should act of his own initiative and resign. But if he refuses to do so at some point the congregation is justified in lovingly, kindly, and respectfully calling him to do the right thing and resign.

Bruh said:

Great question Bruh

What about a "new pastor" who very quickly takes a church with a very established long time members in a different direction. Examples: contemporary music vs hymns, KJV vs NIV, bus ministry vs drive in only, strict dress standards for church & activities vs more casual dress, locally focused vs mission minded ect.

Should the church reasonably expect to maintain the style of church they have build or give all direction over to the new preacher who may have strongly misrepresented his views and vision when candidating.

sword said:
Bruh said:

Great question Bruh

What about a "new pastor" who very quickly takes a church with a very established long time members in a different direction. Examples: contemporary music vs hymns, KJV vs NIV, bus ministry vs drive in only, strict dress standards for church & activities vs more casual dress, locally focused vs mission minded ect.

Should the church reasonably expect to maintain the style of church they have build or give all direction over to the new preacher who may have strongly misrepresented his views and vision when candidating.

IMO, young guy or not if he does all this there was no strong misrepresentation.

Kick the bum to the curve.

I tell my church that I serve them at their pleasure.  If they day ever comes that they feel I am no longer the best person to lead them, they should let me know and I will graciously step down.  I will not fight to keep "my" church, because it is not "my" church.  I will serve them as long as they want me...no longer.

cpizzle said:
I tell my church that I serve them at their pleasure.  If they day ever comes that they feel I am no longer the best person to lead them, they should let me know and I will graciously step down.  I will not fight to keep "my" church, because it is not "my" church.  I will serve them as long as they want me...no longer.

Had a pastor as a kid that did similar. There was disagreement and he graciously stepped aside.

Baptist City Holdout said:
cpizzle said:

Had a pastor as a kid that did similar. There was disagreement and he graciously stepped aside.
Do you remember what the disagreement was about?

Some of the churches I have attended took a vote once a year. It took a two-third majority to remove the pastor, and I never saw it happen.

Granted, the people who are angry may have already left, so the pastor is unlikely to lose.

sword said:
Bruh said:

Great question Bruh

What about a "new pastor" who very quickly takes a church with a very established long time members in a different direction. Examples: contemporary music vs hymns, KJV vs NIV, bus ministry vs drive in only, strict dress standards for church & activities vs more casual dress, locally focused vs mission minded etc.

Should the church reasonably expect to maintain the style of church they have built or give all direction over to the new preacher who may have strongly misrepresented his views and vision when candidating.

Such a church should not have called such a man to pastor, unless he did misrepresent his views; in that case, they certainly should let him go.