Is KJVO a mental disorder?

Yes.

Those who have it practice a complete disregard for the facts of history.

Speaking from a clinical perspective, it's not a "mental disorder" in the formal sense, but it is an aberration in thinking that has underpinnings of immature, dishonest motivation (desiring then choosing to believe a lie for the sake of unmet personal emotional needs) and includes significant elements of "magical thinking".

SAWBONES said:
Speaking from a clinical perspective...it is an aberration in thinking that has underpinnings of immature, dishonest motivation (desiring then choosing to believe a lie for the sake of unmet personal emotional needs) and includes significant elements of "magical thinking".

Then, wouldn't you agree that KJVO is simply one item on a very long list that would equally qualify when it comes to the beliefs and practices of Christendom?

It's an educational disorder. It is a disorder of willful ignorance. When faced with the facts KJVOs will place their fingers in their ears and scream "LA LA LA LA LA, I can't hear you!"

Hyles first turned KJO after the Dave Hyles scandal broke. There were accusations that Jack was¨circling the wagons¨ in an attempt to defend the organization, rather than repenting of the sins that caused the problems. Judging a person's motives is a risky and unscriptural business, but in the years that followed, Jack acted as if it were true. He changed his specific KJO position several times, and he sometimes rebuked HAC students for being too strong about it.

As he presided over one of the greatest church failures in history, Hyles would have ¨fundamentalist conferences¨that were KJO, and this would help distract people from the real problems.

[quote author=Vince Massi]...distract people from the real problems.[/quote]

Man worship?

Thomas Cassidy said:
It's an educational disorder. It is a disorder of willful ignorance. When faced with the facts KJVOs will place their fingers in their ears and scream "LA LA LA LA LA, I can't hear you!"

I am NKJVP, so I am firmly not KJVO. But, couldn't this same argument be said about the MV crowd?

Citadel of Truth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:

I am NKJVP, so I am firmly not KJVO. But, couldn't this same argument be said about the MV crowd?

No.  I've never heard anyone claim any modern version is the perfect infallible word of God, which can be proved from the words themselves in the modern version (and from numerology), and all the rest are perversions. 

Citadel of Truth said:
SAWBONES said:
Speaking from a clinical perspective...it is an aberration in thinking that has underpinnings of immature, dishonest motivation (desiring then choosing to believe a lie for the sake of unmet personal emotional needs) and includes significant elements of "magical thinking".

Then, wouldn't you agree that KJVO is simply one item on a very long list that would equally qualify when it comes to the beliefs and practices of Christendom?

Not in the least degree.

Our faith is based on the integrity, reliability and power of an infallible, omnipotent and ultimately benevolent Person, and said faith is acquired through revelation, that is, the direct and incontrovertible action of the Holy Spirit in our hearts convincing us of the truth and the reality of the Gospel.

Christian faith transcends mere intellectual knowledge, and is more substantial, more real, if you will, then any theological, intellectual or cultic propositions to which we may give some mental assent or about which we may spend some consideration.

KJVOism falls into the category of fideism and superstition.

While the outsider (non-believer) may perceive no distinction between genuine Christianity and silly sub-doctrines like KJVOism ("for they are foolishness unto him"), the spiritual man "judges all things" and discerns the difference plainly.

KJVOism is but one such false doctrine, of course, but it's the one most discussed on this sub-forum.

Citadel of Truth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:

What facts would a person who prefers a more modern version dispute?

Citadel of Truth said:

There's no such thing as a "MV crowd".

There is a group of nuts called "KJVOists".

They like to refer to everybody else (the other 99.99% of Christians) who aren't KJVO as the "MV crowd".

This is rather like the "flat-earthers" referring to the rest of the world's population who don't believe the earth is flat as the "RE (round earth) crowd".

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Vince Massi]...distract people from the real problems.

Man worship?
[/quote]

That was one of them.

The rejection of holiness in place of man-made rules was probably the biggest one. FBCH was in the process of one of the greatest church declines in the history of Christianity, while HAC was working its way up as the #1 source of pastoral sex criminals. Many IFB churches, including Jerry Falwell's, were re-joining the Southern Baptist Convention in order to escape the hatred and to get educated pastors.

Having declared that Dave Hyles was restored, and therefor exempt from the Biblical commands to make things right, they were being embarrassed by Dave's continued immorality.

Thomas Cassidy said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Thomas Cassidy said:

What facts would a person who prefers a more modern version dispute?

I suppose any argument that the KJVO would submit would be ignored as such. Textual integrity, superior translators, etc...

The Rogue Tomato said:
No.  I've never heard anyone claim any modern version is the perfect infallible word of God, which can be proved from the words themselves in the modern version (and from numerology), and all the rest are perversions.

Nor have I. My point is, both sides totally ignore the "facts" presented by the other side. This is not something that can be laid exclusively at the feet of the KJVO.

Trust me, I've had my share of well-meaning KJVO tell me that my NKJV weakens key doctrines, but I have yet to have one show me where any doctrines are omitted. It's kind of silly to base the strength of a doctrine on how times a word appears in any version. How many times does the word "trinity" appear in the KJV?

SAWBONES said:
Citadel of Truth said:
SAWBONES said:

Not in the least degree.

KJVOism is but one such false doctrine, of course, but it's the one most discussed on this sub-forum.

Isn't that what I said?

Citadel of Truth said:
Nor have I. My point is, both sides totally ignore the "facts" presented by the other side.

Can you provide examples of facts presented by KJV-onlyists that the anti-KJV-only site is ignoring?

Can't be, because KJVO and mental don't fit together. Mutually exclusive.

Citadel of Truth said:
SAWBONES said:
Citadel of Truth said:
SAWBONES said:

Not in the least degree.

Isn't that what I said?

It didn't seem so. I took your assertion to mean that one might ultimately consider Christianity and its cardinal doctrines to be no more substantial than the doctrines identified with KJVOism.

If you meant instead that there are many false doctrines within Christendom, and that KJVOism is just one of them, then I'd agree, but question what your point would be.