Is questioning the practice speaking in tongues blasphemy?

rsc2a said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
rsc2a said:
FreeToBeMe said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Someone want to interpret that?

Since you want to pluck verses out of a chapter instead of looking at the context of the entire chapter, let me pluck this one out for you.  Same chapter, different verse:

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Because they don't line up with his own views, those verses don't count.
Those verses are not contradictory to my views, they rather reinforce my view.

First of all, the modern phenomena of charismatic/pentecostal tongues  is not in the scriptures. Anywhere. Including here. Tongues is a synonym for languages, the gift of tongues is the supernatural ability to speak in an earthly language previously unknown to the speaker, but known to the listener.

Oh, I know...

You believe in a "literal" hermeneutic whereby one must look at the "plain meaning"...

...except for all those passages where you don't really believe it like.....oh here.

1 Corinthians 14 deals with the abuse of the gift of tongues, as much of 1 Corinthians deals with problems in the church.

Chapter 14 goes on and on extolling the virtue of edifying others rather than some sense of self edification(See verses 5, 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20,2223,24,25,26,27,28 and 39). If self edification is prescribed, this is the only place it occurs in scripture, in the balance of scripture we are told to edify one another.

But, for the sake of discussion, we'll pretend like you didn't just change saddles and act like the horse was different:

Verses 26 and 27 that you called out above say that everyone should have an opportunity to bring a hymn or a revelation and that two or three should speak. Since Paul is addressing abuses (per your own words), are you allowing abuse in your own assembly by restricting members from speaking or do you have an open pulpit during your service?
Do you have problems reading?

1 Corinthians 14:26-27  How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Verse 26 Certainly does not say that everyone should have an opportunity to bring a hymn, Paul asked the question "why on earth is it that when you get together everyone of you brings a hymn, a tongue, a revelation or an interpretation? Try edifying each other instead. So, cut it back to two or three at most, make sure they don't talk over each other, and make sure someone interprets."

Now, that was my paraphrase. Lets see how others paraphrased the same passage.

NIV
Good Order in Worship
26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.

ESV
Orderly Worship
26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

The Message (MSG)
26-33 So here’s what I want you to do. When you gather for worship, each one of you be prepared with something that will be useful for all: Sing a hymn, teach a lesson, tell a story, lead a prayer, provide an insight. If prayers are offered in tongues, two or three’s the limit, and then only if someone is present who can interpret what you’re saying. Otherwise, keep it between God and yourself. And no more than two or three speakers at a meeting, with the rest of you listening and taking it to heart. Take your turn, no one person taking over. Then each speaker gets a chance to say something special from God, and you all learn from each other. If you choose to speak, you’re also responsible for how and when you speak. When we worship the right way, God doesn’t stir us up into confusion; he brings us into harmony. This goes for all the churches—no exceptions.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)
Worship Must Be Orderly
26 My friends, when you meet to worship, you must do everything for the good of everyone there. That’s how it should be when someone sings or teaches or tells what God has said or speaks an unknown language or explains what the language means. 27 No more than two or three of you should speak unknown languages during the meeting. You must take turns, and someone should always be there to explain what you mean. 28 If no one can explain, you must keep silent in church and speak only to yourself and to God.29 Two or three persons may prophesy, and everyone else must listen carefully.

So, you go ahead and "interpret" to your hearts content, I am simply gonna keep doing what it says.

ItinerantPreacher said:
Verse 26 Certainly does not say that everyone should have an opportunity to bring a hymn, Paul asked the question "why on earth is it that when you get together everyone of you brings a hymn, a tongue, a revelation or an interpretation? Try edifying each other instead. So, cut it back to two or three at most, make sure they don't talk over each other, and make sure someone interprets."

No, it doesn't say everyone (although it comes close in verse 31).  But verses 29-31 are very clear.

29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

So, as rsc2a said, are you allowing abuse in your own assembly by restricting members from speaking?  Or do you have an open pulpit during your service so that two or three prophets can speak? 

If someone has a revelation while you are speaking, do you stop speaking and let him be heard? 

Do you take the plain meaning of "for you can all prophesy one by one", which means anyone who wants to speak has the opportunity to do so, as long as they do it in an orderly fashion? 

Or do you do all the talking and expect everyone else to be quiet? 

No need for an answer.  We all know. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
29 Let two or three prophets speak,....

which means anyone who wants to speak has the opportunity to do so,

You are conflating terms, forcing your bias into the text.

ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Okay, so how do you know who is a prophet and who isn't? 

How do you get from that to "the preacher is the only prophet allowed to speak?" 

The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Ahem...

The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

How do you get from that to "the preacher is the only prophet allowed to speak?"

You're moving the goalposts.  You have a bias, and are willing to justify the bias by your obvious mis-interpretation.  The clear meaning of the passage is not delineating the methodology for selecting prophets, but talking about doing things in such a way that the gospel is clear (particularly to unbelievers who might witness the fiasco of egotistical and fleshly displays of gifts).

ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

You're moving the goalposts.  You have a bias, and are willing to justify the bias by your obvious mis-interpretation.  The clear meaning of the passage is not delineating the methodology for selecting prophets, but talking about doing things in such a way that the gospel is clear (particularly to unbelievers who might witness the fiasco of egotistical and fleshly displays of gifts).

I'm not moving anything. 

31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

So anyone -- YES ANYONE -- who has a prophecy (which makes that person a prophet) may prophecy, as long as they do it in an orderly fashion. 

You simply can't go from there to the conclusion that there is only one prophet, the preacher, and he is the only one who is allowed to speak.  It's impossible. 

Or does "all" not mean "all" in this one special case? 

The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

I'm not moving anything. 

31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.

So anyone -- YES ANYONE -- who has a prophecy (which makes that person a prophet) may prophecy, as long as they do it in an orderly fashion. 

You simply can't go from there to the conclusion that there is only one prophet, the preacher, and he is the only one who is allowed to speak.  It's impossible. 

Umm, no, having a prophecy doesn't make you a prophet. The "idiotes" would qualify as not being able to speak or "prophecy".
Gill
For ye may all prophesy one by one,… Not every member of the church, but everyone that had the gift of prophecy; so that they were not confined to two or three prophets at a meeting, but as many as would, or as had anything to deliver, and as time would allow; only care must be taken that confusion be avoided, and order preserved by exercising in turns one after another.

Poole (Not a Baptist BTW)
Ye may not all prophesy in the same day, or hour, or moment of time, but orderly and successively ye may all prophesy, the end of it being for the instruction and consolation of all; which may mind you so to govern yourselves in the exercise of that gift, as not to lose your end, but that all may learn, and all may be comforted. Which lets us know, that though their receiving the gift of prophecy obliged them to an exercise of it, yet it did not oblige them to an exercise of it in or at this or that particular time.

Wesley (Another not Baptist)
All - Who have that gift.

Calvin (A favourite of many around here, Rogue, I think you subscribe to his stuff)
You can all, one by one. In the first place, when he says all, he does not include believers universally, but only those that were endowed with this gift. Farther, he does not mean that all ought to have equally their turn, but that, according as it might be for the advantage of the people, each one should come forward to speak either more frequently or more seldom. 1 "No one will remain always unemployed; but an opportunity of speaking will present itself, sometimes to one and at other times to another."

"Yes, I am encouraging abuse in my church because it makes me look superior by only allowing me to exercise my spiritual giftedness. Let me try to justify this flagrant sin in my pulpit by only quoting guys that look like they might agree with me on this one certain issue although they are clearly inept Bible scholars/teachers in a whole host of other areas, but hey! They agree with me here so they are right on."

rsc2a said:
"Yes, I am encouraging abuse in my church because it makes me look superior by only allowing me to exercise my spiritual giftedness. Let me try to justify this flagrant sin in my pulpit by only quoting guys that look like they might agree with me on this one certain issue although they are clearly inept Bible scholars/teachers in a whole host of other areas, but hey! They agree with me here so they are right on."
Ask the Rogue why he likes Calvin one day and not the next.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I'm not moving anything. 

All who are prophets may prophesy, but all aren't prophets, nor are all apostles, nor evangelists, etc.

That distraction to the OP aside, is there anybody who can address the claim that denouncing tongues is blasphemy of the Spirit?

ItinerantPreacher said:
rsc2a said:
Ask the Rogue why he likes Calvin one day and not the next.

You've clearly got a grasp on what the bigger issue is here.  ::)