Is this really humor?

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
Below is a quote during a sermon to a Sunday morning congregation. The preacher is referring to a missionary in his family and thought this was funny. I am not identifying anyone or any place, nor will I link the sermon, but this is a transcript word for word. Suffice it to say that the missionary was in a country in Africa. I would like the thoughts and feelings of those on this forum about these statements. This is for a friend who is very concerned.
-------------------------------------------------------------
“There’s a thing he has done in <redacted>. He had a lot of fun at the expense of the <redacted> people. For instance, there’s a greeting that he taught them. And the greeting went something like this; if you want to make an American smile, stick your hand out and say hello or hi, but if you want to make them really smile, and I mean really smile, put your hand out and say Yabba Dabba Do.”
“There was another thing they did. Their van had one of those early alarm systems, they thought they were so high tech. The van would speak to you and say “alarm system set” or something like that. It would speak to you and say “alarm system disarmed” or say something like that. The <redacted> that did not know English would ask <this missionary> what is this saying? He would say “It’s telling you that it wants you to sing to it.” And whenever the alarm would say something, the <redacted> would start singing to the van. He had this incredible sense of humor."
------------
BTW, this missionary is no longer in that country.
Thank you

Last edited:
Below is a quote during a sermon to a Sunday morning congregation. The preacher is referring to a missionary in his family and thought this was funny. I am not identifying anyone or any place, nor will I link the sermon, but this is a transcript word for word. I would like the thoughts and feelings of those on this forum about these statements. This is for a friend who is very concerned.
-------------------------------------------------------------
“There’s a thing he has done in <redacted>. He had a lot of fun at the expense of the <redacted> people. For instance, there’s a greeting that he taught them. And the greeting went something like this; if you want to make an American smile, stick your hand out and say hello or hi, but if you want to make them really smile, and I mean really smile, put your hand out and say Yabba Dabba Do.”
“There was another thing they did. Their van had one of those early alarm systems, they thought they were so high tech. The van would speak to you and say “alarm system set” or something like that. It would speak to you and say “alarm system disarmed” or say something like that. The <redacted> that did not know English would ask <this missionary> what is this saying? He would say “It’s telling you that it wants you to sing to it.” And whenever the alarm would say something, the <redacted> would start singing to the van. He had this incredible sense of humor.
------------
BTW, this missionary is no longer in that country.
Thank you
Nope, not okay. it’s derogatory behavior at minimum, and could fall under the umbrella of somewhat racist behavior depending upon the extent and duration of this type thing. Regardless, this family probably shouldn’t be in the mission field.

Well, it is humour, of a sort. The real question is whether it's tasteful or respectful, and clearly it isn't. It exploits another culture's ignorance of his own--indeed, he lies about it--for cheap laughs. As Huk suggested, it's racist; it equates ignorance of how a car alarm works with stupidity.

On the other hand, if a missionary were trying to teach a local English, and he flubbed his lessons with humorous results, that might be funny.

Well, it is humour, of a sort. The real question is whether it's tasteful or respectful, and clearly it isn't. It exploits another culture's ignorance of his own--indeed, he lies about it--for cheap laughs. As Huk suggested, it's racist; it equates ignorance of how a car alarm works with stupidity.

On the other hand, if a missionary were trying to teach a local English, and he flubbed his lessons with humorous results, that might be funny.
My assumption is this missionary was probably an older white man. He probably didn’t intend this behavior as racist. I say this because in my lifetime, I’ve met some solid, good Christian men in the ministry who have made similar comments or told similar stories with seemingly no clue that what they’re saying is really out of touch with the 21st century norms and values. Maybe they should know better, but Christian or not, it’s difficult to overcome one’s upbringing and generational norms.

My assumption is this missionary was probably an older white man. He probably didn’t intend this behavior as racist. I say this because in my lifetime, I’ve met some solid, good Christian men in the ministry who have made similar comments or told similar stories with seemingly no clue that what they’re saying is really out of touch with the 21st century norms and values. Maybe they should know better, but Christian or not, it’s difficult to overcome one’s upbringing and generational norms.
it was no more... or less... humorous than the many chinese, mexican and various indian jokes that have been laughed at on the various fff forums since it;s beginning.... including this current one.. .... someone in my adopted family was hurt by such jokes on her first foray into the world of the fff back in 2004... after being invited to post recipes that a few forum members had requested.... .. unfortunately after posting the recipes she browsed the forum for a while and saw the racist jokes..... .. she never returned..... but what is worse it made her all the more determined to never set foot in a baptist church..... ....most people on the fff were not even aware because the person it involved kept it to herself and didn;t say anything... and didn;t want the rest of us to make a big deal about it either...

and most likely that is what will happen with regards to the people the "missionary" was entertaining himself by mocking..... they probably will never say anything to him about it either.... even after they are made aware of what his jokes and language was all about...... but they will also never trust him again..... and some might even reject any message he ..or anyone of the same church that comes after him.... hoped to bring to them..... you can;t teach or help people you do not respect.... and he clearly didn;t....

Last edited:
Thank you for those who replied, though many more viewed the message. I think most of us are of the same opinion.
One of my friends biggest concern is that this sermon would find it's way to mainstream social media and destroy the church where it was preached.