it all started in 1954.....

aleshanee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
the information and advice in this video is all common sense stuff.... things every parent
should think about with a small child in their home.... . but i wonder if the people making
this 1954 public service announcement could have envisioned what the business of
advising parents would become... . .... compare this video to what helicopter parents

are being taught... and even commanded ... to do by todays nanny state - on pain
of fines and imprisonment if they refuse.... :cautious:

Enquiring minds want to know: what are "helicopter parents"?

compare this video to what helicopter parents
are being taught... and even commanded ... to do by todays nanny state - on pain
of fines and imprisonment if they refuse...
That’s a bit of a funny video in today’s world. What sort of actions are parents being fined and imprisoned for?

it varies from state to state.... but "helicopter" parents ... (the parents who hover over their children at all times and won;t even let them play in their own backyard without supervision).... were once thought of as over protective in all states merely 2 decades ago... . ...but several states about 10 to 12 years ago began passing laws that required parents to do that very thing - to hover over their children at all times.... or to hire someone to do it for them.... and parents have been fined and arrested in some of those states when children - some of whom were in their teens - were reported to be out in a park or away from their home by themselves and even walking home from school without adult supervision....

congress has passed laws to prevent states from going too far in this regard but the states reacted by rewording the laws but basically continuing to make it very hard for kids to gain any independence or learn personal responsbility growing up... .in most cases parents will be free from state harassment unless some accident happens to a child left alone... then the parent will be charged with negligence....

there are many news articles adressing this issue but here;s 2 to start with....

it varies from state to state.... but "helicopter" parents ... (the parents who hover over their children at all times and won;t even let them play in their own backyard without supervision).... were once thought of as over protective in all states merely 2 decades ago... . ...but several states about 10 to 12 years ago began passing laws that required parents to do that very thing - to hover over their children at all times.... or to hire someone to do it for them.... and parents have been fined and arrested in some of those states when children - some of whom were in their teens - were reported to be out in a park or away from their home by themselves and even walking home from school without adult supervision....

congress has passed laws to prevent states from going too far in this regard but the states reacted by rewording the laws but basically continuing to make it very hard for kids to gain any independence or learn personal responsbility growing up... .in most cases parents will be free from state harassment unless some accident happens to a child left alone... then the parent will be charged with negligence....

there are many news articles adressing this issue but here;s 2 to start with....

In Florida, there’s no minimum age law requirement, but of course, if an accident happens, I’m not sure a parent can argue they thought their 5 year old was “old enough” to be unsupervised.

We didn’t allow our daughter to be unsupervised until age 13, and even then, only for an hour at most. Now at 14, we’ll allow up to a couple hours at most. I’m sure next year we’ll stretch it a little longer. I can recall being left unsupervised at around age eight. However, it’s the 2020s now and not the 1980s. Society has gotten worse. We’ve tried to balance her learning independence with the way the world is. When we are away for a couple hours, she’s got a phone and a large, protective pit bull type dog present at all times. Our house also has a Ring camera that is motion sensor activated. Fortunately, we live in a semi rural area, so no major crime concerns. I’m sure if I had a son instead of a daughter, I’d have allowed independence at an earlier age.

I remember being in the First Grade in 1969 and I was expected to walk to school by myself to my school which was almost a mile away from my house! Nowadays, you cannot ride the bus until you are in second grade and when the bus comes around to drop off your kids, you had better be outside at the bus stop to have them handed off to you! I believe you pretty much have to be in High School before you can let your kids walk around on the streets by themselves and even then, someone may call the cops thinking they are "hoodlums" or something!

I was outside getting into all sorts of trouble when I was growing up including hiking several miles into a canyon area behind my house and playing with matches! We did all sorts of stuff like playing "Evel Knevil" on our Stingray bikes and going "Moto-crossing" on our bikes in said canyon behind my house. There were times I would play in a waterbog cutting off cat tails and collecting tadpoles. I came home muddy from head to toe and my mother "hosed me off" in the front yard and grounded me for the rest of the day. We would play in a creek down the road from our house making rafts out of styrofoam packing material from a motorcycle dealership close to our house. We'd float as far down as we could until someone would say we were on their "Private Property" and kick us out and then we had to figure out where we were in order to walk back home!

Yep, and we of course drank from the water hose, played with lawn darts and real bow and arrow sets which we would shoot the arrows straight up and see how high they would go! Everyone had a pocket knife and at least one of the kids we hung out with had a BB Gun which we would use to pretty much shoot anything that moved! My parents had no idea where we were until the street lights came on and if they needed us earlier, they would just look around the neighborhood and find out where all the bikes were.

We also came up with ingenious ways of making money like collecting pop bottles and redeeming them at the 7-11 or grocery store, mow lawns, or do chores for a neighbor.

If my parents raised me up in this day and age, they would likely still be in jail for all their "neglect!"

I went to one of those "Trampoline Parks" for my grandson's 7th birthday and they had all sorts of cool stuff and I first thought "Boy am I missing out" until I remembered the parks I used to go to when I was his age then I started feeling sorry for the kid!

I remember being in the First Grade in 1969 and I was expected to walk to school by myself to my school which was almost a mile away from my house!

My mother walked me to school on the first day of kindergarten. I remember being quite shocked on the second day that I was expected to get there and back on my own. Got an earful of "I had to walk three miles to school." It certainly felt like that at the age of four, but now thanks to Google Maps I know it was one block plus a parking lot.

(Pointless trivia: Ryan Gosling also attended that school, albeit 10 years later.)

My mother walked me to school on the first day of kindergarten. I remember being quite shocked on the second day that I was expected to get there and back on my own. Got an earful of "I had to walk three miles to school." It certainly felt like that at the age of four, but now thanks to Google Maps I know it was one block plus a parking lot.

(Pointless trivia: Ryan Gosling also attended that school, albeit 10 years later.)
My dad walked me to school the first day and asked if I remembered the way and I thought I did. It was only a right and left turn on three streets but we were also going up and down a hill and the road twisted around some. My first day getting out of school, I looked around and was completely disoriented and scared to death plus we had just moved there (active duty Navy in San Diego) so I didn't know anybody. I have no recollection of how I got home that day!