It Does Happen To Real People

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
My wife delivered our grandson in the car on the way to the hospital this morning. Mom and son doing fine. Grandma is a wreck and car is a mess.

What do you need a hospital for, again?
I'm about to deliver my 5th, and #9, and it will be at home.
My kids wonder what hospitals are, since they've never seen the inside of one.
Congrats, and good job to Grandma.
Next time, she can be Granny mid-wife, and avoid the messy car.  ;D

Anishinaabe

Prophet I'm so happy for you and your family... God bless you..

subllibrm said:
My wife delivered our grandson in the car on the way to the hospital this morning. Mom and son doing fine. Grandma is a wreck and car is a mess.

God bless you and your family..

subllibrm said:

Wow!  Congratulations!!

Who was driving?

JrChurch said:
Prophet, do you have a mid-wife in attendance?  Just curious.
Nope, the ladies in our families or the Tribe come by.  We eat a lot.  We visit a lot.  Eventually, I got off my haunches and go back to work...usually about 3 days later.

Anishinaabe

Prophet how many of your children have you delivered? I watched a special where the husband delivered their baby at home with no drugs...I'm not that brave...

Sherryh said:
Prophet how many of your children have you delivered? I watched a special where the husband delivered their baby at home with no drugs...I'm not that brave...
4 of our 8 were 'delivered' by me. No ladies being available the first time, I was 'stuck'.  After that, it was experience wrought by exercising hope, wrought by 'stepping out' in faith.

Anishinaabe

Prophet, God bless you my friend...

subllibrm said:
So are you now going to call your wife, Dr. Subllibrm?

Our daughter started having contractions in October. This was her 5th trip to get "checked out" for progress. About halfway to the hospital the action really picked up. While talking reassuringly to the mom to be my wife was dialing 911. The question to the dispatcher was are we better off stopping and waiting for an ambulance or keep going. Dispatch found the closest ambulance and patched the EMT through to my wife.

The conversation that followed went like this:

Is she bleeding?

I don't know she has pants on.

Then pull over and take her pants off. I will be there in a couple of minutes (found out later that he was about two miles behind them when the call came in).

My wife pull over and went around the car and opened the door. She removed the pants to find the baby's head already out. She told our daughter to try to push. One attempt and he was out the rest of the way. Grandma laid him on mom's belly and covered them with her coat. The ambulance pulled up and the EMT got started with the rest of the process.

Anyway, lots of other details (several quite funny, like the car that pulled along to see if they could help and kept on going when they saw the new mom and baby) but suffice it say we are blessed with grandchild number 6 who is healthy, a mom who is healthy and a grandma trying to live down her new found hero status.

I was surprised that it happened but not the least bit surprised that my wife handled the whole thing so calmly. She is a blessing to all who know her and I am blessed that the Lord gave her to me as my wife.

It has been a wild Thanksgiving week.

Blessings to you all and thank you for the kind words.

Bill

My husband delivered his second daughter at home.  It was planned that way, and they did have the support of professionals.  It was a very fond memory that he and his first wife shared.

As for me, I was not quite that adventurous.  I opted for a birthing center...sort of a compromise between a hospital birth and a home birth.  It was a marvelous experience!